Evertune vs. a tuning issue

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by HuemainArcaine, May 1, 2021.

1. HuemainArcaine

HuemainArcaine SS.org Regular

Hello all,
    So I have problem and a theory that I would like confirmation on before I invest in an evertune.

I have this guitar that has had tuning issues since I've had it. I've set it up myself several times and even got it professionally set up by local music stores and the luthier who built it 3x. If I tune the guitar to lets say standard tuning and play an E, that chord will be in tune, but every other chord will be sharp or completely out of tune. I have it in drop D atm and it seems to fix it slightly, however open chords and some barre chords still sound out of tune. I was hoping that maybe an evertune bridge would fix the issue.

Thanks, Dylan.

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

If it can’t intonate at all that seems to point to your luthier not really understanding how to install and measure frets. That’s not really something an evertune will fix.

Matt08642 and XPT707FX like this.
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

An Evertune probably would fix any tuning instability but, do you really want to throw $600 at a guitar you don’t even enjoy as is?

EDIT: Oof! It’s a custom! Bro I would start taking some measurements. Frets could be in the wrong positions entirely.

Demiurge, Emperoff and Kyle Jordan like this.
  4. HuemainArcaine

HuemainArcaine SS.org Regular

That is a good ass point, I actually had to do that with my EVH awhile ago to get it to stay the fuck in tune. I actually do enjoy playing it, the neck is awesome, super baseball bat esc, and it has serious mojo, total beat the fuck out of it kinda vibe. It is semi custom.
    I am considering it, thinking it will be my end all be all option for it.

5. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

"Why won't my guitar stay in tune" is always a miserable game to play, and the intonation version is the worst. Hopefully it's something easy, like the bridge not being adjusted correctly or the nut being too high and not something like incorrect fret or bridge position.

Just on a lark, have you tried changing the strings? Shitty or old strings have that a tendency to take their own rules as to whether they want to be in-tune at various parts of the neck.

6. Chebax

Chebax SS.org Regular

I’m a big fan of Evertune, and it’s true that it improves intonation all across the fretboard. But installing it on a guitar with an undiagnosed intonation problem may not be the best idea.

I suggest you first find out what the problem is, and then people here can help you figure out if an Evertune would help.

I can think of a few different things that might be causing your problem:

- The guitar is simply not properly intonated (I understand this is not your case)
    - Stings too thick
    - Strings too thin (yep, especially if you have a strong right hand)
    - Pushing the strings too hard or not straight while fretting a chord (this happens to so many players, myself included)
    - Action too high
    - Nut not properly placed/cut
    - Frets in the wrong positions (unlikely but possible, especially if it’s a custom)

Out of these, bullets 3,4 and 5 could be fixed/improved by an Evertune.

4Eyes likes this.