Evertune: Solar or LTD?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Zhysick, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Hi there. I got my TAX refund AND I want a guitar with Evertune.

It's simple, isn't it?

Do I really need one? Well, there's just one reason, maybe it's not good enough, but it looks like it will be a solution for a problem and as I haven't had one Evertune guitar why not? Also I think it will be a perfect tool for tracking in the studio when the next EP or LP is ready to be tracked.

Thing is in the band we have several tracks in Standard and another bunch of them in Drop. The bassist and I prefer to write songs in Drop and the singer and the other guitarist prefer to write in Standard so it will be like this forever probably. During the rehearsals we normally play all the standard songs first and then all the dropped songs so we have to tune just once but it's a pain in the ass that even if you just tune down ONE string you have to tune all the strings because the balance of tension in the neck is off and all the strings go out of tune... yeah, maybe some of you might not notice this in your guitars but I run a really heavy thick string on the bottom compared with the others so a BIG part of the tension on the neck is due to the single 6th string. I use a set of 10-59 (7 string set, yes) without the 46 and with th 59 instead for the 6th so as you realise the balance is pretty off that means that dropping the 6th make the other 5 to go sharp very noticeable too much to keep on going during the rehearse and, when the time for shows comes back (maybe this summer) that will be unmanageable.

SO... first: no, I'm not going to use a 10-46 set of strings, I could maaaaaybe use a 10-52 for standard and suffer on drop but that will be the last solution.

I guess using an Evertune will be a perfect solution for this as the tuning of the other 5 strings will easily compensate with the Evertune system when dropping and all the fuss.

Maybe using a guitar with a really super stable neck won't give me this kind of issues, yeah, maybe, but why not try an Evertune?

Thing is I KNOW the neck profile of the LTD guitars (the Thin U) is comfortable, I like it and its 42mm wide at the nut which I like (the narrower the better for me) but... for 1200€ I could have one of the LTD Deluxe with evertune without stainless steel frets and without backed maple neck or for 1000€ I could have a Solar with stainless steel frets, backed maple neck and the Evertune, but I don't know how is the neck carve and I cannot try one before buying.

I could also go for one of the newer LTD with SS frets but that goes up to 1500€ and I don't know if I can justify 500€ more than the Solar for "almost" the same specs but a well known neck carve considering that probably both are going to be made in the same country (Indonesia) so there is no reason for such a difference in price but the brand.

So I think basically what I am asking is... do any of you have a Solar AND an LTD or can you really compare both carves and tell me if they are too different? I mean, I know I HATE the Ibanez ultra flat on the back neck profile, that D shape kind of neck is horrible for me and that paired with a 43mm nut is just hell on earth but I can comfortably play a Les Paul or an SG with also 43mm nut width and a more rounder neck carve (and thicker also) so I think the wide of the nut is not the biggest factor... I wasn't very worried about the carve of the Solars as they are spec'd as "C shape" but recently I read someone said that "the neck carve is similar to the Ibanez early 90s neck shape but thicker"... well... I won't like that.

Also, if going LTD I have a few issues... I don't like carved tops but I don't like the finish of the Viper (satin cherry? nah... I prefer normal cherry burst or whatever but satin with that quilt top it just doesn't look good to me) so... Comfort (Viper) or looks (EC or MH)? That's tought also... the Solar will be perfect in that front because is flat top with arm rest AND I love how it looks.

Pics so this is less boring and thank you all!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

tl;dr

Get the LTD.

3. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

I'd opt for LTD just to avoid all the QC issues I have been hearing about with Solar.

4. kingpinMS3

kingpinMS3 dumb, but harmless

i've had both a solar and an LTD. i kept the LTD.

Zhysick likes this.
  5. BusinessMan

BusinessMan SS.org Regular

Id say ltd until the QC gets a bit better from solar (although i love mine, but I got it before the issues they're currently having).

6. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

LTD is a safe bet. And if you care about that, there is a new Horizon with SS frets, fishmans and evertune.

Zhysick likes this.
  7. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I wouldn't worry about the supposed issues with Solar's fingerboards cracking because I won't be getting ebony and if it cracks then there is the guarantee for a refund or whatever. Any other thing I have heard is comprehensible for an indo made guitar.

About the SS frets: I don't like them actually, I prefer nickel frets but for the money I recognize there is more bang for the buck if there are SS frets and I am not going to spend 1500€ for one of the new LTDs with SS frets and Evertune. No way. Too much for a not professional musician (this is my way of life, my philosophy or however you wanna call it).

So... The LTD then... Now I have to choose if I prefer the more comfy Viper or the better looking MH (or the EC).

That's though... The Solar was going to check all the boxes except neck carve but easier to choose from all the models of I was going that route.

Ideally I would want an LTD M1 with Evertune but not even one M series with Evertune in the LTD line and that's disturbing...

Thanks! And keep coming to say what will you choose and why, I guess I will have at least one week to decide before ordering the guitar.

8. MaxOfMetal

tl;dr

Eclipse.

Alex79, Spicypickles and Zhysick like this.
  9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

:lol: you are so great man hahahaha

Why EC instead of Viper? Yeah, I don't like the finish of the viper (if it was matte black I would be all for it) but carved tops are uncomfortable compared to flat top + bevel

10. MaxOfMetal

Outside of always digging the Eclipse, I have an EC1k with the ET, and it's a great guitar. I originally planned on upgrading to the E-II if I got along with the ET, but honestly, I haven't felt the need. It's that good.

JimF, Kyle Jordan and Zhysick like this.
  11. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

That's amazing to hear Max... Also I guess finding a nice soft case for and EC is going to be easier than for a Viper with its asymmetric shape so...

LTD EC-1000ET in... Quilted dark brown burst or trans black famed maple? I think I like more the QT in this case. Time to look for pics!

12. MaxOfMetal

I'm boring, I just went with flat black. :lol:

Zhysick likes this.
  13. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I would but it's not available except for the 2021 model (not in stock yet) that is more expensive because of the SS frets and I am not feeling paying more for the SS frets because I actually don't like them...

I'm really considering the MH because of the EMGs but I have always liked the EC and I had an MH years back... Should get an EC this time.

14. VGK17

VGK17 SS.org Regular

I have a Solar E2.6 (2019) which is fantastic. Probably the most comfortable guitar for me I have. I don't feel there is much difference between the neck on it and the one on my KH-602 as far as feel and playability. I also have an LTD SH-7 guitar, as well as another Solar. So between two Solars and two LTDs I've found the quality to be very good on both brands, no issues with either. I used to have an LTD Eclipse 1000 with Evertune, very nice guitar but just didn't feel comfortable playing it. I think the single cut just didn't sit right compared to either the Explorer shape or the Superstrat shape. I think you'd like the Solar if you don't like the carved top shape of the MH.

As far as string gauges I use either 12-60 for C standard or 11-56 for drop C on the Solar but I think I like the C standard better.

Zhysick likes this.
  15. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Really? Do you think the neck are similar in carve?

I recognize there's some fanboyism in me since I really love ESP/LTD (my other beloved guitar is my 20 years old LTD EX-100) so getting a Solar is difficult since I would really want to get an LTD, the only thing that bothers me is the carved top on the EC and MH models. That's where the Solar starts to resonate because even their V and E shapes are flat tops with bevels and that's comfortable, and the AB, A and S shapes are the perfect superstar shape with all its comfort... But it's not LTD.

Yeah, I know, but can you judge me for wanting a sister for my baby?

16. John

John New album out now: https://goo.gl/PdPVYh

Late response, but I'd avoid the Solar on account of recent QC issues. In regards to aesthetics, the Viper and Eclipse would be more of my thing anyway.

Zhysick likes this.
  17. SonicBlur

SonicBlur SS.org Regular

I had a Solar S1.6HLB and I found myself playing it a lot but the QC is definitely not where it needs to be. I loved looking at it but for what those cost, those QC issues are not okay. I sold it and I don't miss it. Get the LTD.

Zhysick likes this.
  18. evade

evade enthusiast

LTD - get a mid range guitar for roughly $1000-$1200 USD and it is honestly one of the best guitars for the price. As someone who played exclusively Schecters for a long time, I'm starting to realize that the Deluxe quality build of ESP is significantly better. QC issues will always be persistent in a mid range guitar, but at least ESP has a stricter guideline than Solar guitars. I highly recommend against buying a Solar. They can't even get their customer support issues figured out so good luck getting a refund if you do get a janky guitar.

Also, with LTD - it's possible that you'll find the newer models from a Korean factory (which will help its resell value down the line).

Yeah that MH-1000 is going to blow the solar out of the water no matter what. The extra money is worth it for that bridge too.

SonicBlur and Zhysick like this.
  19. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Fwiw, my Solar is better made than two of my Korean Deluxe LTDs. Ideally, if you have the option, just return the guitar if you get one with problems, simple as that.

I have an A2.7. It's a touch thicker and rounder than my Ibby 1527. Unfortunately, the neck starts to thicken around the 12th-14th fret pretty rapidly, in a way I think it's more of a LP style set neck meant for 22 fret guitars. Upper fret access is a bit awkward (23rd and 24th frets especially), but you can get used to it, I don't think it bothers me a lot tbh. Though if you're considering a Viper, it might be a non-issue. I mean, it's perfectly playable, it's just not as nice as an Ibby neck with their all access or whatever it's called neck joint, but you apparently don't even like Ibby necks. After seeing the neck on that can opener guitar that the Obscura dude has... well, my Solar seems very ergonomic all of a sudden :lol:

If you're worried about upper fret access - try finding side pictures of the neck and look where it starts to thicken up. Around 16th-17th fret is ideal.

I can't compare LTD vs Solar directly, because the LTDs are six strings. H1001 has a really, really nice slightly thicker neck that's just right for my liking (doesn't cramp my thumb like a thinner neck might), it's not too thick and not too thin, not too round, and the neck access is excellent (it's also a set neck, just like the Solar). EC1000 is a touch rounder and thinner than the Horizon, the upper fret access is just okay, but it's an LP style guitar. I don't have a problem with any of them really, they're all fine and playable.

Zhysick likes this.
  20. MFB

MFB Banned

Eclipses are the shit.

I was looking at Vipers before I picked up James' EC-1000 from the classified's here, but as someone who sold two SG's, my biggest issue with the body is the neck dive; the Viper does have the offset pin where it's on the horn versus the back of the neck, but I still was worried about buying something without playing it first. Then I got the Eclipse and seemed like perfection, it's thinner and lighter than most LP styles but still sounds super heavy and acoustically it's loud too. I refuse to drop it off for it's pickup swap at this point since I don't really want to be without it, even though I have an EC-401 as a backup :lol:

Alex79 and Zhysick like this.