Evertune & Light Strings for ERGs

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by luca9583, Mar 25, 2015.

1. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

Hey guys.

Was thinking about the Evertune bridge and how it stops the strings from ringing sharp.

Was curious to see if any of you 7/8/9 string players have experimented with an Evertune using very light strings on a long scale length?

Was especially interested in hearing B0 or C#1 with something like an .084 at around 30-34" scale but without the string ringing sharp.

I wonder, before Evertune bring out single string bridges, if there's a way to achieve this with some kind of black magic?

2. Alex Kenivel

Alex Kenivel Stunt Guitar

I think the black magic method works just fine :agreed:

3. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

OK, so I did some math. If your B0 string is something like a .90/.94/.98 on a 34" scale (using Kalium strings as the reference, mind you), then your tension for that string will be in the 17-20 pounds range which is where things feel like a guitar. Then you have to factor in the fact that on a longer scale length, the string will be more flexible even if the tension is the same, so it'll move around a lot more.

But assuming the Evertune is made to handle nutty blues guys with massive strings in standard tuning, I would assume it should handle it. At least it'll suck out a bunch of the bowing out of pitch, like an autotune set to "soft".