Evertune bridge - couple of questions

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MadYarpen, Jul 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Hello,

I am getting closer to purchasing a new 7 string and I am starting to consider spending more money on the solar guitar with the evertune bridge.

I want to buy one with 25.5 scale, and plan to tune it to drop A. I know many people say this scale is fine for A. But generally the lowest string is a bit unstable on attack (goes sharp), and then settles to A, at least this is my experience (I understand this is to be expected).

Now my question no. 1 is, does the evertune bridge counter that unstability on attack?

And the second question is more open I guess (maybe also naive). I consider myself a beginner. Despite learning for quite a long time, I work a lot and have a kid, which means I am not really out of the beginner phase (though I do feel I am getting there! Slowly, but steady;)). For example, I do not feel I am ready to play with a band (I think - and I mean the band I would like to listen to), and I cannot learn most of the stuff I usually listen to (which is mostly tech death metal, melodic death, and other death subgeneres or whatever you call that). What I like is either to fast or just to technical (or both;))

I would not want to buy a guitar which gives me bad habbits or in any other way prevents me from getting a better guitar player. I understand this bridge could make things easier, and it is not really what I want. It is not the point - I like the idea of guitar staying in tune all the time though;)

I guess what I am asking is when do you think it is ok to consider a guitar with the evertune bridge?
    If I get used to the evertune bridge, will I be able to play well with a regular one? I do have a second guitar with TOM, so I guess this will help, as I will surely be using her as well.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. binz

binz SS.org Regular

Without having ever played or had an evertune (and see my signature for disclaimer): From what I read it is doing exactly that what you describe, not just keeping the guitar in tune in general but also during pick attack.

I dont think it will stop you from improving your playing. It (hopefully) will make some riffs sound more pleasent since all notes will be intonated correctly (which to my understanding is a thing of the guitar and not the playing). In principle evertunes are not made for bending. You can however fine-tweak the setting that you still can. But I guess it will still make a huge difference because you'll nevertheless have some "offset" or latency until it bends. Given the styles you listed, I guess you are not the bluesy bender type anyway.

As you can maybe tell from what I write I'm quite fond of the system myself, because the two things I hate most about guitars are bad intonation and tuning - from what I perceive evertune takes care of this for you.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

It is not general or expected, it only happens if the string is under-gauged and therefore under-tensioned, so can be easily avoided by using a suitably large gauge for sufficient tension. Many guitarists just do not understand how to choose gauge to maintain a suitable tension, then complain about the result not realising they are the problem.

So if this is the only or primary reason you are considering an Evertune, you should reconsider.

Having sufficient tension will also avoid a few problems caused by insufficient tension which Evertune cannot correct, it only corrects pitch, it does not avoid the playability or tone problems caused by insufficient tension.

So, in terms of pitch stability of under-tensioned strings, Evertune would be suitable for someone who already knows they prefer under-tensioned strings but would like more pitch stability on those strings. Personally i would recommend using a larger gauge to maintain tension instead, as that has multiple advantages.
    Evertune would also be suitable for those who are frequently retuning one set of gauges over a wide pitch range and so cannot avoid under-tensioned strings in some of those tunings.
    Yes.

4. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Hm I don't think I had under gauged strings. I was using 10-52 + 68 or 70 gauges in A standard.

I think it is more likely I am hitting the bass strings to hard tbh.

Now I want to use 64, 65 or 66, because 68 was getting muddy, and in fact the tension with those will be more like other strings (9-44 or 46 in E standard)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. I play music

I play music SS.org Regular

If I were you, I'd choose a guitar with longer scale length instead of Evertune.
    Well... if someone presses hard enough that on a normal guitar the note goes sharp, the Evertune compensates that. Don't know how big the risk is that you get used to pressing too hard because of having an Evertune.

6. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

It is an option, but there is no 26.5 inch V seven as far as I know.

7. I play music

LTD V-407B
    I find V-shaped 7 strings very hard to play, so I recommend you to try one before going for one to see if 7 string V is for you.

8. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Are they any different than V 6 strings? Because I have solar V 6 it is super comfortable to play this guitar.

Why would 7 string be any different?

E: I also had xiphos 707, and while it was much less comfortable especially standing, playing this seated was also rather comfortable. TBH I don't expect V 7 to make me any trouble. Although the 27 inch scale may be to much for me. I think 26.5 is max what I could take. And even this makes me nervous;)

9. Chokey Chicken

Chokey Chicken mouth breather

Not everyone likes the sound of thicker "properly" tensioned strings. The fatter the string goes, the more of the high frequencies you lose. (Think a bass' low E vs an 8 string drop tuned.) Slinky strings can also be desirable, so thick tight strings doesn't exactly always equal better playability or sound.

As for me, I loves me some slinky thin strings. As a result, I've had to learn to play softer than some folks would like to. The only evertune guitar I've ever owned really helped out with tuning stability. I had the nice thin strings that were just as slinky as I'm used to, and if you have it set up properly it got rid of that drift in the note upon attack.

It's not a miracle everything-cure for sure, but "sufficient tension" varies from person to person. You could maybe even lower your string gauges a bit if you think the thicker ones feel too stiff or sound a little too dull.

Alex79 likes this.
  10. I play music

Yes I was talking about standing, playing something on the low string on high frets was just impossible for me. A strat style I just put higher up but having a V high up looks pretty stupid if you ask me. Have you tried longer scale lengths? I doubt you'd notice a difference between 26.5" and 27" or I don't

11. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

I barely can make 26.5 work to be honest.

12. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

it may also have been mentioned, but there are various limitations to string gauge, too, besides just tonal: there's mechanical. What fits through your tuners, your bridge, your body if it's a string-through...

...but a common additional limitation is intonation. Generally, the thicker your strings, the more you have to move your saddles back to compensate for the less-sharp break angle...but many bridges are positioned and built with insufficient range for super thick strings. Upping string gauge until you get to the target tension is only a part of the equation.

13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

1. Yes. The ET can be set to combat (completely eliminate) that initial rise in pitch due to pick attack.

2. Playing the guitar will not become “easier” at all with an evertune bridge. You won’t develop bad habits really imo. Just know that your bends will be “delayed” per se. There’s a long thread on here going over the pros and cons of the ET. My biggest issue with my ET is the delayed response to bends/vibrato. You have to bend the string a little farther than normal to actually here the pitch rise (depending on how you set it up)

3. If it were me, I would not get one if you don’t plan to gig or record. And even then the ET isn’t even necessary.

There’s a lot more to the ET than that but, like i said, read the other threads on here. Pages and pages of information and debate.

My advice: just get a guitar with rock solid tuning stability and overall construction. Get a guitar with carbon fiber or graphite reinforcement rods so that neck stays right in place and is less affected by temperature and humidity changes. For the average bedroom hammer (like me) the ET bridge adds a lot of complexity for almost no benefit.

Having owned an ET bridge guitar (still do) I would gladly trade it for a similarly spec’d guitar with graphite rods in the neck and a standard fixed bridge.

EDIT:
    Also. If you plan to do Drop-A I would suggest a baritone of some kind. 27” at least imo, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
    MadYarpen and I play music like this.
  14. Lozek

Lozek Desk Magnetic Contributor

25.5 in A, definitely get an Evertune if you're serious about tuning. I recently recorded a 7 string, Blackened Death album in A with a floyd and TOM guitar, it was tuning hell until I brought in an ET.

MadYarpen likes this.
  15. ixlramp

ixlramp SS.org Regular

Then do not do that =D
    Poor technique should obviously be corrected instead of spending large amounts of money for a complex system that hides the results of your poor technique.

Lozek, i think it is misleading and ridiculous to state that 25.5" scale guitars tuned to A have 'tuning hell' without Evertune, and that in that situation you can only be 'serious about tuning' with an Evertune.
    I do not doubt that you had problems and that Evertune helped, but you are then jumping to making exaggerated claims and applying them to all people.
    Obviously, very many guitarists, who are serious about tuning, are using 25.5" scale guitars with a string as low as A without extreme problems.
    Evertune is new and guitars tuned to A were successful before it existed.

I suspect many of the problems guitarists experience are due to how traditionally gauged string sets almost always have very low tensioned lowest strings. Maybe they use a 7 string set, with the typically very low tension lowest string, and then detune the lowest string to A, making it even worse, and do not realise the gauge is simply not sufficient, then fall victim to the excessive media hype and marketing that targets them to convince them they need to spend a lot of money on a complex new type of bridge.

Winspear and I play music like this.
  16. Lozek

I'm passing on my personal experience of recording two extremely competent guitarists, with decades of studio experience and releases on the largest metal labels around. And in this session, an Evertune equipped guitar proved to be a very effective tool for reducing pitch drift and getting everything sounding more in tune than was achievable with a floyd or TOM equipped guitar.

Alex79 likes this.
  17. I play music

So what string gauge was used for the low A?

If higher string gauge is not wanted for tonal reasons, then my way to go would always be longer scale length and not Evertune.
    I have noticed that pretty much any lead player that has tried or even demoed the bridge, these days has stopped using it, from Wes Hauch to Jeff Loomis. I think even Vai and Satriani have had one and never seen again despite Ibanez apparently willing to use it, see Korn model. That observation makes me think I'm not the only one that dislikes this bridge.

18. Lozek

If I remember rightly, one player was around 64, the other was 68. The aim for this session was to get a Carcass type low tuned sound, Baritones would have been too clear and modern sounding.

On the flipside of the players you've listed, Devin, Ola, Matt Heafy and Head swear by them and don't play anything else. Clearly there is a lot of people that dislike this bridge (or the idea of this bridge, as I wonder how many commenters have actually owned one), but in my specific scenario the Evertune was a godsend.

19. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

In brief on the general subject of tension Evertune etc.
    If you find on a given scale length your desired tuning is too loose having too much buzz and pitch drift - you have three options. A thicker string(which may become too muddy), a longer scale, or an Evertune - though of course the Evertune only solves the issue of attack drift - not buzz.

Flappydoodle and Bearitone like this.
  20. I play music

You may or may not have read that I wrote lead players because the main reason I dislike this bridge is how it reacts to things like bends. Which maybe for Head does not matter, he doesn't play leads AFAIK. The other guys you wrote are also way more riffers than lead players. I can see that in a studio situation for recording a riff, a guitar with an Evertune may be an option. Or maybe for some touring rhythm guitar player. But OP is looking for an all-around guitar that he wants to learn on and especially for leads I would not recommend.

Basically, what @Bearitone said