Ever make a suggestion to a company and get a rude response?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Feb 6, 2017.

1. petersenb9

petersenb9 SS.org Regular

A Gibson Rep did a presentation of the new line they had coming out (this was 2014). When he started talking about the "self-tuning" thing on their LPs and SGs, a guy asked why they would bother with that since most people who would buy a $1500-$2000 guitar can already tune it. He then asked why doesn't Gibson take that off and drop their price a bit. He got some stumbling response about tuning efficiency. Pretty funny.

2. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

I told Mike Fortin on Facebook he should make the VH140. Lol, told him he could crank out SS amps in his spare time for those of us who can't afford his tube amps.
    He was pretty cool about it. At first he was kind of short, it was a ridiculous suggestion anyhow.
    He told me he would stick with tube amps. Can't blame him.

3. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

Thank you for the clarification. I had no idea of this. I always thought that famous Marshall solid state amp was more known for that.
    Perhaps as a coincidence....I remember having a Crate Gx-130C and I would like to forget about it.

:shred:

4. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

I can help with that! I'll just need a check up front for $100,000 to cover initial engineering and development resources, and some of the backend losses suffered from not using our overseas manufacturing facilities. :coffee:

5. wedge_destroyer

wedge_destroyer SS.org Regular

From the same people who've been running more or less the same flagship bass head since the 70s? Any other company and yea that mindset would make perfect and absolute sense but Ampeg has done little else but bank on the past or their name.

Also R&D can't be all that high; most all of the engineering is done from previous work, but converting and tooling a line on the other hand...

6. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I wouldn't classify this as a rude response. Seriously, considering the harrowing proportion of emails gear manufacturers get of the "OMG U GUIZE SHOULD MAKE _____! IT WOULD SELL MILLIONS!" variety, a little bit of playful snark is a decent response.

7. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Yeah, most people don't like to be told what they HAVE to make with their company. The intent was good, but the execution is all that the guy on the other side of the computer sees.

8. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Perhaps my next attempt should be more brazen!? Lol jk. I sent another message to clear things up and got a good response from him. Of course it still sounds like its not in the cards :(

9. Asphyxia

Asphyxia SS.org Regular

Facebook is the next venue for "suggestions."
    If enough people thumbs up it, eventually someone is going to build the damn amp again.

10. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Wow, you write a know-it-all tone email to the guys whose job is literally to think over these concerns all day, and that reply was rude?! Their reply is the most polite of the 3. What's worse is your response! I just feel sorry for their tech support...I think you just delayed the development of these pedals a couple of years.

11. bhakan

bhakan SS.org Regular

Honestly, the VH140 is a very niche amp, and they're pretty cheap on the used market. Most people buying them aren't looking to spend a lot of money, they're looking for a cheap reliable OSDM machine. I really don't see Ampeg being able to compete with the used market or pedals companies like S&K.

It would be rad for them to reissue it, but I understand it probably isn't the best business decision.