Ever give albums a 2nd chance?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by ZackP3750, Oct 23, 2012.

1. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

i give most things a 2nd, 3rd & 4th listen now-a-days.

would hate to think i missed out on something...especially if it came highly recommended or i spent $ on it.

2. FireInside

FireInside .Buried.Breathing.

I love this record.:yesway:

3. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

dillinger's calculating infinity, just pointless noise and screaming at first, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, and 9th listen, absolutely brilliant at the 10th listen.

4. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

I bought opeth - morningrise when it came out in 96/97 because someone told me that it sounded like amorphis and that i should check it out, since I loved amorphis.

It sounded nothing like amorphis.

I sold it.

I then ended up buying Still Life when it came out and fell in love with it. I remember sitting in the mall parking lot and spinning the whole album twice before deciding to drive home.

I subsequently came back to Morningrise and ended up loving it as well.

5. skisgaar

skisgaar Master-debatur

Opeth - pretty much anything, I just didn't get any of it. Now when I listen to them, I can't fucking stop.
    Protest The Hero - Fortress took me 3 or 4 tries. I mean seriously, and now it's a master peice to me.

Periphery - believe it or not, it took me a few tries to get Periphery. Heard them back in 2008 or 2009 and thought nothing of them. Had no idea that I would love them, and eventually meet them haha.

The Faceless - both albums before Autotheism I found hard (and still do) to listen to.

Deftones - White Pony. I just didn't get it, and now I embrace it full heartedly. Also Diamond eyes, and other Deftones material was hard for me to get into, but WP was especially hard, and I knwo most people think it's their best too :p

Meshuggah - Obzen. I really didn't care for complex rhythms, and still don't, but this album sits at the top of that scarcely populated pirch.

Funeral For A Friend - Memory and Humanity. It just wasn't my thing, but now it's my favourite out of all of them!

Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone. This album was my entry to slipknot. Definitely not the best way to begin, so it took a few tries. I still love it, but IOWA is still king.

6. Rook

Rook Electrifying

I keep trying to like Autotheism by The Faceless - some serious talent in that band and masses of potential in the album but it just hasn't done it for me yet. It irritates me slightly haha.

I thought periphery was a joke when I first heard it, but it came on when I had my iPhone on shuffle and I thought 'actually...'.

Dream Theater were the same; hated em, hated em, hated em, LOVED EM. Now one of my all time favourites - the band in general I mean.

7. Triple-J

Triple-J the Experimetalist

the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
    I bought Husker Du's "Candy apple grey" listened to it a few times and thought it was a bunch of badly produced screaming but found myself listening to nothing but this album for about a month when it finally clicked for me cause Grant Hart and Bob Mould are such versatile songwriters and any album that goes from full on screaming 80's hardcore one minute to jangly REM/Byrds style melodies the next is fine by me.

I heard Killswitch Engage's "Life to lifeless" on a preview disc during xmas 2001 and liked it so much I found myself counting down the months until "Alive or just breathing" was released in May 2002 but when I got the album home I instantly hated Jesse's vocals and the production so much that I took it back after two days of trying to listen to it.
    Somehow I ended up giving it a second chance in 2004 and while I still struggle with Jesse's vocals in places I really love the album now and I'm not 100% sure why I disliked it so much in the first place.

I also picked up "Mutations" by Beck listened to it once and decided to return it but I forgot and it ended up on a shelf gathering dust until five years later I gave it another spin and was hooked immediately and I couldn't believe I didn't appreciate it on first listen.

8. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Took me a few times to get into Augury. First time I checked them out I couldn't get past the vocals but then about a month later my buddy sent me a link to their song Skyless and that one clicked for me almost right away. After that, I started liking a couple other tracks and then bought the album and love it.

Agalloch was kind of the same in regards to the vocals because the first song I heard from them was Falling Snow. I thought that intro riff was fucking incredible but the black metal style growls were kind of iffy with me but I looked past it and now they are one of my favourite bands.

9. The Omega Cluster

The Omega Cluster n00b

I don't always give albums a second chance

But when I do, it's inconclusive.

10. iamrichlol

iamrichlol Doesn't afraid

I'll give any music a second chance. Your musical taste is always changing, so obviously you can grow to love or dislike anything, with time.

11. Nonservium

Nonservium ss.org Irregular

Since I've seen Devin Townsend on here quite a bit and I've never given him a chance at all, where should I start?

12. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

City

13. shellbound

shellbound SS.org Regular

totally. i've also noticed that usually the things that take me a while to get typically end up being much more "timeless" so to speak, where I'm still listening to it years later. as opposed to something that hits me quickly upon the first listen, but then once the novelty wears off, i see myself rarely going back to. of course there are plenty of exceptions to both of these, but i still think there's something to it.

14. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

15. sawtoothscream

sawtoothscream SS.org Regular

I dont dig the weightless album as much as the self title. still not bad though.

took a listen or 2 before i started liking the number 12 looks like you mongrol album.

16. xhellchosemex

xhellchosemex Well-Known Member

Pretty much every Brutal Death Metal album I listened to before I got used to guttural vocals.

17. nostealbucket

nostealbucket aint no gahdam woman

Vildhjarta - Måsstaden.
    I had to listen to this a few times. I really didn't like it the first time I heard it.

Uneven Structure- Februus.
    Same thing. The music seemed a bit boring and repetitive. Eventually I started to like it, but its more of a "listen to it while on a roadtrip/playing minecraft" album.

The Dillinger Escape Plan- I didn't like this band until I started taking theory.

Ever forthright- I HATE the production on this album. The guitars sound terrible.
    I still hate the production, but musically, the album is great.

18. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Dream Theaters- train of thought, 6DOIT. Both of those had to seriously grow on me. Now I love em.