Ever feel too "Musically Smart?"

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by athawulf, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Razorgrin

Razorgrin SS.org Regular

+1

2. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

The bulk of my post was not in response to yours. I thought I might run into that problem, so I put a little divider between the part that was the response and the part that was me ranting. That said, it's a very personal topic, so snippets of self realized wisdom are likely to be abound. It's healthy to have pertinent opinions voiced in discussion.

3. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

when listening to popular music and old hits, i´m often baffled by how dull and dry it really is. it´s too basic and uninteresting for me.

when i´m around people who know musical theory though, i feel vastly inferior musically :lol:

4. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

As a pianist myself, I'm going to be the dick that says her playing here sucks. The hand cross over arpeggios are easy to perform, her chord voicing and dynamics are pretty poor*, her "rubato" (which is what she was going for in the opening classically inspired bit) is terrible, she has no groove when comping, and I just don't like her singing.

*I accompany a lot of musical selections, and there is a lot you can do with the piano-voice format in a variety of styles. A really rich and full sound attainable through a full range of voices and movement, and taking advantage of the pedal when appropriate.

Acatalepsy likes this.
  5. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

not really relevant, but saturday night I was leaving my house to go to my best friends' place.

96 camry in green, (badly) tinted windows (came that way), I'm driving (tan so now i look more jamaican then i do in the winter) in a nice light blue Jamaica polo shirt... with the new As I Lay Dying album cranked to all get out. The appearance did not add up to what was coming out of the speakers, and I loved it :lol:

6. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

But if you're into "noise" then it's actually a valid label.

7. msaadidin

msaadidin ttudoc

To the person that originally started this thread;

I totally agree...I have found in the past few years that my increased musical knowledge kinda ruins some things for me. I would have to say that this is most obvious to me when I learn a song on the guitar-once I learn it, I don't enjoy listening to the song by itself anymore (for the most part). It's actually gotten to the point where I try not to learn my favorites anymore, because they will automatically be demoted haha. Also, I noticed a few people saying that bad production can get in the way sometimes, and I also agree with that. For example, when Parkway Drive's "Deep Blue" recently came out, the production of the kick drum turned me off quickly, and I'm still warming up to it.

However, I believe there is something to learn from this. I had a conversation of similar ideas with some colleagues a few days ago, and we threw around the phrase "the more you know, the more ignorant you are" a lot. Not to say that anyone on here is ignorant, but I think the phrase relates to the overall idea. Basically, I should try to open myself up to what I see as foreign or uncomfortable. Just because I don't immediately love the sound of the kick drum on "Deep Blue" doesn't mean I will never enjoy it. Who knows, maybe I will prefer it some day, or maybe I will end up hating it even more.

So, I do relate to your situation. All I can say is that it is very common, and a fresh perspective can usually put you back on track. There are some things, however, that will never be musically interesting to any one particular person haha.

8. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

Supposedly, she was a piano-rocker-chick before she turned pop, so maybe she too agrees with your conclusion vis-a-vis her playing.

She can impress people by playing a few bars of her songs in pretty-sounding piano because it's in short spurts. Then, after that, sequencer is back on and she's gyrating in rubber underwear and crooning about having sex in the bathroom of a dance club again. Her limitations would catch up with her if she had to, y'know, actually play the instrument for an entire set.

9. Joeywilson

Joeywilson Banned

True! But what I'm talking about pertains to the songs that actually do stick with people.

There will always be bland "corporate" songs designed to make money, they are pitched to a certain audience, i.e.- The Jo Bros are my little cousin's night and day, she knows every word to every song by them. Their music is important to her, which is all that matters at the end of the day IMHO.

I don't think I have the authority to dictate what is and what isn't a good song because playing guitar is the focal point of my life, I'm an absolute jazz snob... Actually I'm more of a prick.

And yeah, Epitaph is gnar!

10. Joeywilson

Joeywilson Banned

Wanna hang out sometime?

11. Razorgrin

Razorgrin SS.org Regular

SS.org hookup magic!

12. Trespass

Trespass AEADGBEA

Her limitations caught up with her in the first 30 seconds. I'm not kidding. It would be the same thing if someone posted a video of someone regurgitating Clapton/'60s licks or those Attack Attack characters.

Razorgrin likes this.