Evan's Official Transcription thread

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Evan89, Jun 19, 2019.

1. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

I did skeksis and think it was a lot more than “not remotely accurate,” ouch!! It’s a powertab and is probably out there somewhere.

2. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I'm not familiar with them, what's a good starting point?

Similar to Per Nilsson, I need to ask Paul Masvidal again to see if he can get me in touch with Devin. If I remember correctly, the master recordings for his earlier albums (Terria and before) were destroyed in a house flood, so unfortunately my favorite album Ocean Machine is out of the question. You're absolutely right that his "wall of sound" production style makes transcribing difficult. A lot of times, the challenge with transcribing is simply being able to hear the parts clearly, not that the parts themselves are necessarily difficult. Would love to work with Devin for sure.

The Mirror likes this.
  3. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Evan89 likes this.
  4. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Judas Priest. Do it!

Evan89 likes this.
  6. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Gorguts, Human Remains, Dim Mak, Ripping Corpse and Gridlink would all be awesome to have. All those bands have members who are relatively active on Facebook and I bet all of them would be down for getting correct tabs out there.

Evan89, Mwoit and Rosal76 like this.
  7. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Man, from the main forum page it looked like people were discussing a band called "Evan's Official Transcript" which I thought was a very weird tongue-in-cheek name for an SSO type band, but a nice change from ~Periphoria or ~The Von Neumann Aparatus type names. I guess this makes more sense.

StevenC and Evan89 like this.
  8. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Huge +1. I would buy those in a heartbeat. Was just listening to Intercepting fist (Dim Mak) the other day.

sirbuh and akinari like this.
  9. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I've found isolated tracks for some JP stuff, are there are particular songs for albums you'd want to see transcribed?
    The only band I've listened to from this list is Gorguts, do you have any suggested starting points for the others?

I know I've been quiet on here lately, but I've been transcribing a ton. Hoping to have news to share on the next official book in October. I just finished a full album transcription today, and am planning on starting work on the next book tonight or tomorrow. Also met up with and contacted lots of bands in the past few months. The hardest part of the process is just getting the ball rolling with people. I have a special upload planned for my youtube channel for when I hit 1,000 subscribers. I'm currently at 925, and I'd greatly appreciate any new subscribers from this forum! https://www.youtube.com/user/7strings89

10. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Sure. Check out Human Remains - Using Sickness as a Hero, Dim Mak - Knives of Ice, Ripping Corpse - Dreaming with the Dead and Gridlink - Longhena. Feel free to PM me about tunings or who to contact from any of these bands that catch your interest.

Evan89 and Rosal76 like this.
  11. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Hey, Evan. Erik Rutan was a member of Ripping corpse. I think you said you were friends(?) with Erik. Though, I'm not sure exactly what he wrote on the album, as they had 2 guitar players in the band, I would think Erik could probably be a huge help in a tab book if he agreed to it.

Evan89 likes this.
  12. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

From the way I understood it, Shaune and Erik both did a lot of writing on DWtD. It's a shame the second album never got completed...

Rosal76 likes this.
  13. Runner

Runner SS.org Regular

Since you've already have a lot of experience with this style of music - how about some Exivious transcriptions? I would by them in a heartbeat...
    Also Textures or Mutiny Within would be interesting.

technomancer and Evan89 like this.
  14. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I'm trying to make this happen, which is all I can say for now.

Would love to do Textures, but now that they're broken up there would probably be less interest from them in doing a book. Haven't listened to Mutiny Within since their first album, but I wouldn't rule them out either. Thanks!

15. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

I loved to see Tab books of any of these-
    SYL-ALIEN
    The Faceless- Planetary Duality
    Queensryche- The Warning, Rage for Order
    Testament- The Order, The New Order
    Fates Warning-Perfect Symmetry, Parallels
    Zenith Passage
    Scar Symmetry- Holographic Universe, Pitch Black Progress
    Chris Poland- Return to Metalopolis
    Tony Danza Tap Dance Extravagana- Danza 2
    Veil of Maya
    After the Burial- Dig Deep, Evergreen
    Born of Osiris- The Discovery
    Fallujah- (older)
    Vildhjarta
    Humanity's Last Breath

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, lol :)

technomancer, Lorcan Ward and Evan89 like this.
  16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

A tab book for this was close to being put into production before Jason got the boot. I read on IG all royalties for the album had been tied up legally too so it’s doubtful it will ever get released. Jason has tabs for his solos on the album and all of IVX/behold.

17. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

I do not know him personally, but I'm working on getting in touch with him about doing transcription work. Cannibal Corpse are coming to town next month, if I haven't heard from him by then, I may just go to the show and catch up with him there. I checked out some Ripping Corpse last night, pretty cool stuff. If someone has the isolated tracks and there aren't any publishing issues, I'd be happy to do it. I imagine there would be a much bigger demand for Hate Eternal though.

Thanks for the list. I'd be interested in doing all of these. I emailed the Faceless (a year or two ago at this point), and their management said they already had the whole album transcribed. No idea why a book hasn't surfaced. I've transcribed some early Queensryche (from a personal request) and would especially love to do Operation: Mindcrime. Looks like there was a book back in the day, but it's out of print and not the whole album anyway. Some of the other artists on the list I've either heard back from, or have contacted and am waiting on a response.

In other news, I just finished the first song for the latest book, and will have some non-transcription content on Tuesday.

18. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

Yes! Erik Rutan mentioned a Hate eternal guitar tab book many, many years ago. Once in awhile, I'll see if there any updates but no luck. I would imagine Erik doesn't have much time with him balancing his own band (Hate eternal), running his own studio/recording band albums and filling in for Cannibal corpse. But I'll definitely purchase a Hate eternal tab book if you guys release one.

Evan89 likes this.
  19. Evan89

Evan89 SS.org Regular

Happy to share that I did a guest solo on the new Failure of Milk EP, Automaton! I played on the first track, around the 3-minute mark. Anyone interested in instrumental metal should check it out.

https://failureofmilk.bandcamp.com/album/automaton

Also finished the transcriptions for the next book mentioned in my last post. Already looking forward to the next one.

ArtDecade and brector like this.
  20. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Evan - how about some Jake E Lee stuff? His Ozzy and Badlands stuff is pretty sweet.

Evan89 likes this.