ESP USA HORIZON: Interest Gauge

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Ikke, Sep 14, 2017.

Would you get one if they were available?

1. Yes - I would get the Horizon (Teardrop Headstock Version)

33.3%
  2. Yes - I would get the Horizon II-NT (Blade Headstock Version)

14.7%
  3. No, I would not.

52.0%
  1. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

This thread should have probably been made some time ago.

My question is basically: ESP willing and you have $4000 of fun money right now, would you buy a USA Horizon? Yes or No. Nothing in between (please read below for why)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Specs (Stock)
    • Mahogany Body (with Quilted Maple Top on See Thru Colors)
    • Neck-Thru Maple Neck with Ebony Fretboard
    • Thin "U" Neck Profile
    • 24 Extra Jumbo Frets
    • 1.65" Neck Width at Nut
    • 25.5" Scale Length
    • TonePros T3BT Bridge
    • Schaller Locking Strap Buttons
    • Sperzel Trim-Lok
    • Graphite Nut
    Let's get through some stuff:

ESP USA IS NOT A CUSTOM SHOP. Keep this in mind as you read what follows. So, consider:

1. The price is around $4000 USD

2. Let's assume this was some kind of special run, kind of like the E-II situations.

3A. This is for the USA Horizon STOCK/AS-WAS (see above). This means no changes from the original specs. No weird finishes, no stainless steel frets, no fanned frets, no special pickup options, no inlay weirdness, no scale length weirdness, no gloss body/satin neck, etc. You hopefully get the idea. This should not be shocking if you read the above.

3B. Assume that the only changes are those that you can make in the current configurator. That is Color (Solid or See Thru), Pickups (SD or EMG), and Finish (Satin or Gloss)

4A. Why is there no option for people on the fence? Because I only want to know how many people would definitely buy one if available (considering the statements in Item 3). I don't need to know how many people like the idea of having one available. That information is ultimately not relevant to information I'm trying to gather. Not trying to be a jerk, but I need concrete "Yes, I would"/"No, I would not".

4B. If your answer is "No, I would not" feel free to tell me why you would not get one. Please give a concrete answer. Please don't tell me, "There aren't enough options". Tell me, "I want a hipshot" or "I want a maple fretboard". It would be helpful if people "liked" the post(s) that they agree with. The idea is to understand SSO's main spec hangup with the stock horizon. Please don't tell me about price. Price is what it is.

4C. Also for the "No" people, It would also be helpful if you only consider specs that you've seen done on the other USA guitars. That means, hipshots, floyds, fingerboard woods, etc. Please don't tell me "I want an evertune", as that is not an option on any of the other USA guitars.

Again, concrete yes or no. Obviously, stuff happens and situations change that prevent some things from happening, and that's understandable. But, for now, let's just consider that everything is hunky dory.

---------------

Also, one last thing. I'm not trying to get anyone's hopes up. So, just to be clear, there is still no way to get a USA Horizon (through dealer or otherwise) that I'm aware. The posts in this thread aren't necessarily going to aid in resurrecting it. This really is just information for me.

That being said, many of us on here are passionate about ESP, and passionate about the Horizon in particular. What I'm trying to do is gauge how many of us actually want a USA Horizon.

----------------

It would be helpful for me if you formatted your post as follows:

Vote: Yes/No
    Version: Horizon II-NT(Blade Headstock)/Horizon(Teardrop Headstock)
    If No, Why?: Please Give a Spec Reason

Thank you for your help. Future generations will remember what you did here today!

2. XiXora

XiXora SS.org Regular

Yes
    Horizon (Teardrop headstock)

I've recently been shopping around and can only see the Japanese version (available in brown… YUK!) with the teardrop and non-trem. I love the teardrop personally.

Btw the through-body tone pros bridge is preferable to the stop tail IMO.

Main issue for me is that I want to try some Fishman Fluence but want a clean battery swap. ESP has a lovely battery compartment. My only choice is the Horizon NT-II due to the EMG pickups in them.
    Maybe it is a fleeting wondering for active pickups again. I don't mind EMG as standard but I just want that hole ;)

Good luck collecting your data.

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

If someone gave me $4K USD and said I had to spend it on a guitar i'd probably buy a PRS Custom 24 in Violet or an ESP USA M-II. If ESP USA started doing the Horizon I'd probably go that direction, assuming it had a teardrop headstock.

Vote: Yes
    Version: Teardrop
    Specs: Satin purple burst (quilted maple top), ebony board, with Duncan's and hipshot.
    Note: To be clear, I do not have $4K USD to spend on anything, let alone a guitar, and I don't see that changing for a long time--if ever.

4. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Vote: No
    Why: I don't want a TOM bridge.

At $4k, I'd have a hard time settling for specs I find limiting or undesirable when there's a ton of custom shops out there who will build me whatever I want, it just won't say "ESP" on the headstock.

Ordacleaphobia, AxeHappy and austink like this.
  5. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Version: Blade
    Reason: I don't have one. Subject to change in minutes! Hahaha.
    I like playing GAS games for things that aren't happening anytime soon. I do think the Horizon will make a comeback on the US line. I also think the more threads like this the better since it might make them open up a little bit. It's not like they don't know how to make them or gave up all the templates/CAD files.

6. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

I had to change my vote from Yes to No.

I want a hipshot bridge. I want color options like "matte see-through white flamed maple top with a natural back" and I want the neck to be the exact shape/radius as the M series as I like thier "extra thin flat (basically a thin C shape) way more than thin-U, and most importantly I want the tear drop headstock reversed.

I wanna throw money at ESP to make what I think a modern H looks like. So I will likely have to go custom shop one day if I really wanted it.

AxeHappy and Humbuck like this.
  7. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

Not at this time. FWIW, not too long ago, they were willing to build me a horizon 2 but the hangup was with the color (at least that is what I gathered from the dealer).
    So no, not until I can get at least the color I want.

8. austink

austink SS.org Regular

No

The Tune o matic is also my biggest hang up. But for 4k I would buy another PRS tbh

9. exo

exo SS.org Regular

No, I would not. I've grown to prefer the 24.75" scale length ballpark of Gibson and many BC Rich guitars, and I'd legit prefer almost ANY other bridge. I'd rather have a blocked Floyd, or a refinement on what Jackson's limited edition Mick Thomson has going. Lot's of listed specs for it are "right on", but at $4k, there's no reason for me to buy an "almost there" guitar.

AxeHappy and Mathemagician like this.
  10. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

No.

Quite simply, I have an FR II and an FR 27 already. Both are absolutely killer guitars all around. Love me some ESP's and I'm wanting for nothing there! Horizon's are my model. Blades only, no cocks...ever.

If I didn't own those 2 axes, I'd love to get my hands on the blade version above, but I wouldn't pay 4k for one. I'd just locate a nice used example of a Horizon and essentially have the same guitar.

I agree with a "modern Horizon" like in the comment above. I don't really need a floyd in the first place, let alone 3. I just really liked those two guitars and the floyd doesn't give me any trouble. I've used them through the decades. But, I'd need a hipshot...direct mount pickups...reverse blade...figured premium hardwood top/headstock veneer like koa or buckeye or zebrawood...oil or at least matte finish...relocated volume knob...and while I'm at it, a special super-thin body and a cool ESP logo.

I'd also like to commission a Horizon that was completely hydro dipped in a cool, modern camouflage pattern like Mossy Oak or Kryptek!

It's not gonna happen unless I go full custom shop and my Horizon itch is already getting nicely scratched. No need to wait 2 years and spend another 5 to 7+k while doing it. If I won the lottery, why not?

Side note, I've been to the ESP shop/museum in Shibuya 5 or 6 times now and I've chatted with them there about a custom before. They have an unfinished Horizon full guitar blank with no hardware and a 2 different wood top and I think maybe wood neck binding sitting there to handle while you talk about a custom. Cool place for an ESP fan.

11. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

No.

The price is just way too high for a non-custom guitar. At that price point I expect a semi-custom or full custom guitar. I understand they're not gonna do extreme modifications like fanned frets or Evertune bridges but as it is the USA configurator only has SD 59/jazz and EMG 81x85x pickup combo. Can't image why they wouldn't just let us order any SD or EMG pickup. Maybe choose hardware color like chrome, gold or black.

12. Power2theMetal

Power2theMetal The deal was rigged

No.

At that price point there are plenty of guitars I'd be interested in. I've owned a Custom M-II and have enjoyed it but ESP isn't really for me anymore. Also, the TOM bridge would be a hangup as I prefer Hipshot/Schaller currently.

13. Fierce_Swe

Fierce_Swe SS.org Regular

Version: Horizon(Teardrop Headstock)
    Seymour Duncan pups but a little hotter than those optional ones. Maybe Distortions or JB/59 or Custom/59 or Dimarzio D Activators.
    For finish I would propably choose satin... :)

14. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

I think the part that most people are going to get hung up on aside from the bridge is that $4k is a lot of cash for something that isn't a true custom and carries such heavy spec limitations. What's to stop someone from just buying a custom shop ESP at that point?

15. Ikke

Not being facetious, or meaning to be rude, but have you ever bought an ESP Custom new? Let alone an ESP Custom Horizon? I’m on my second and I can assure you...that $4000 USA tag is cheap compared to Japan. At least that’s been my experience.

feraledge likes this.
  16. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

It depends on your options, but you can get a Japan custom for something in the 4k range (like 4200-4900). Obviously quilts, flames, crazy paint schemes or specs will up that significantly. I was shopping around for my Eclipse and eventually noticed that some dealers were tacking 30 to 40% on top of dealer cost which made the price skyrocket. I found a dealer that was very reasonable, and it basically convinced me to go the custom route since I handpicked all my specs and paint schemes.
    I wish we could just order customs through ESP direct, and eliminate the middleman. It seems the dealer is a go-between that adds to the cost.

feraledge likes this.
  17. feraledge

^ this!
    The US shop is really more like a cheaper ESP Original line with some options for customization and more seemingly on the way. Considering all the nightmares that Jackson's Custom Select line had, working into it isn't such a bad move on their part.
    And I say that knowing full well I likely wouldn't order one until they add some more options. BUT I would definitely buy one used or if there was a solid deal.
    These are custom shop quality, I think that's getting overlooked. They're priced between EIIs and full custom MIJ ESPs, but quality wise on par with full customs, just not the options. Nothing against EIIs, but that difference is definitely there.

18. feraledge

Who is your dealer!?! You paid a lot less than I did...
    I'm hoping I have an in with a dealer to get better deals. I've seen estimates that are considerably higher than what I paid on mine. But I haven't seen prices lower than the Originals.

19. stevexc

stevexc SS.org Regular

If I had 4 grand lying around? And could convince my wife to get onboard? Hell yeah. Teardrop all the way.

20. Ikke

I’m sure you could an ESP Custom for $4000 to $4900. But, my guess, is you won’t be getting a Horizon Custom for that price. The Horizon is the most expensive guitar on the JP site. The list price on the ESP JP website starts at $6300+. Even on the USA website the CTM Horizon is $5000. And that’s not even for the cool colored ones like the indigo.

So assuming we’re talking about Horizons, the USA Horizon is the cheapest Horizon after the E-II. And it’s significantly cheaper than JP.

feraledge likes this.