ESP Owners Club-Show Us Your ESPs!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Church2224, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

That
    That looks like a black nickel bridge to me.

2. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

Yes, the black nickel wears pretty easily...the straight black holds up much better.

3. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

4. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Ok that is some serious black there haha. Thanks.

5. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

If it was from wear, it would only be where the skin contacts the surface of the bridge, it wouldn't be uniformly faded. It's likely just lighting or a swapped bridge.

The 2006 catalog has that same color guitar in it and it lists the bridge for the LTD as OFR. Also, the pickups were EMZ HZ H4 (passive) for that year. The back of the guitar you showed doesn't have a battery compartment built in, so if that's an 81 (active), it was probably added later and the battery may be in the control cavity.

6. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

In 2008 they were using SD blackouts. And imo there is a battery compartment, on the shorter horn beneath the cavity.

Judging by the link @Blytheryn provided the black nickel looks just like that... But I an no expert on that.

Whether it is OFR or FR 1000 is not that big deal for me. I just want to make sure it is a legit guitar.

7. mastapimp

mastapimp SS.org Regular

I think you're right. I just looked around at a bunch of ESPs w/ active pickups and they don't have the quick-access compartments I'm used to on my guitars with EMGs or piezo systems.

8. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Floyd Rose didn't really made the "1000 series" distinction properly until like..... 09 ish? The 1000 series used to be marketed as just an OFR on guitars. Though I think the Alexi-600 actually had a German OFR at some point before they switched to the 1000

9. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

So the guitar seems legit although someone decided to rip the finish from the neck. Which itself is not a bad thing actually, I prefer natural finishes. But it needs some love to correct what was, IMO, screwed up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/OfORkct

Doable probably, so I still might take it.

10. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin SS.org Regular

If it’s a good price. I’d go for it. The neck could be cleaned up pretty easily.

11. soul_lip_mike

soul_lip_mike SS.org Regular

Man people trying to resell LTD Ouija's for over 3,000. That was a $1200 guitar new. I'd be happy to pay a little over that but it's still an LTD. /rant

12. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Some people are trying to sell Hello Kitty squiers for that price so can't say I'm surprised ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

13. MadYarpen

MadYarpen SS.org Regular

Yeah, i think so. The price is very good considering how things stand with these guitars.

14. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

Is there anything to be said in terms of increased quality from the Custom shop? What I mean is, I've heard that currently the Custom Shop is hard to beat for overall quality, but have also heard like idk pre-2000 that it wasn't as good, like maybe great but not world-class? I know there's an interview with Henrik from Evergrey w/Ola and he talks about getting Michael Romeo to switch to Caparison and says something like "he deserved better than ESP/he was too good to play ESP", and I know I saw on some other forum where someone from Scandinavia mentioned how ESP are considered junk there and any ESPs in stores sit for years unsold.

I played an actual ESP from 1991 a few weeks ago, and it definitely didn't stand out to me, but I chalked it up to being as old as it was it doesn't reflect current ESP.

15. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Sounds like the typical urban legend waffle stuff to me. And Caparison definitely isn't perfect quality. Better than E-II, and the good ones are on par with ESP Original.

I own 2 and I've played more than 10, including MJR's signature model. None has been what I'd call "perfect". You'll at least see tool marks on the binding, back plate not perfectly aligned - that kinda thing.

It's also pretty established that Caparison quality has been up and down over the years too. They had a bad run and ended up with financial difficulties more than once. Hell, there was a thread here with a whole bunch of people who had bad experiences with them, including frets falling off, electronics failing etc.

feraledge and jco5055 like this.
  16. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

oh yeah, I have heard enough stories about Capa to know they aren't perfect (at least those that aren't the top TAT level), but was just curious if ESP has had noticeable differences in quality over the years.

17. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

It’s been years since I’ve had a true ESP in my collection, but today I have returned with an ESP USA M-II in red sparkle:

94C32CB2-ED71-498E-9D70-5605072899D0.jpeg CA88A436-6D01-41DF-B7E5-313056005A56.jpeg 0969F62C-0038-4C6C-8FB7-EB0E10292834.jpeg 2FD039D6-D33C-45B0-9503-9DA98A5ACF8E.jpeg 697E93C5-F7F4-4B20-9B4E-2074640DAC7D.jpeg

18. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

This is the same guy that jumped to Charvel because he was a fanboy and misses Caparison because he had better artist relations there? I mean I can hardly take his word at face value. Most people in bands only care so much about the brand and guitars and focus on how the brand takes care of them.

19. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

This is just perception. The idea that there are parts of the world where ESPs are considered garbage or at least lesser instruments is true and is based on "influencers" and branding. The idea that there are parts of the world where ESPs are considered "world class" is also true and is based on "influencers" and branding. I don't think anything has particularly changed about the way ESP builds, or at least a horizon from the 90s feels the same as a horizon from 2000, 2010, or 2020. But I certainly don't consider them "world class".

Overall better than Caparison though, where over time my frets have lifted, the electronics stopped working, and the maple boards got super dirty because there's like 0 finish on them. Never had any issues with ESPs over time. But that doesn't relate what they're like brand new though.

20. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

mlp187 likes this.