ESP Nuno Bettencourt (Prototype???)

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by skyclad, Jul 23, 2006.

1. skyclad

skyclad SS.org Regular

I myself own a strange Washburn Bettencourt model, build I guess in Japan in 1991 (I'm not sure if it was built by Grover Jackson himself). I just love neck profile and shape of Bettencourt models. And sure, sound of Bill Lawrence L-500 is amazing, and tone of wood, and 3/4 deck size. IMO, i think Nuno Bettencourt model is one of the best 6-string guitars.

But recently I found even more strange guitar than mine - ESP Nuno Bettencourt model 1990 (it was sold within few hours on some Japan auction)

http://www.dolphin-gt.co.jp/elect/esp_strato_1304_0523/index.htm

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Does somebody knows anything about that ESP Nuno Bettencourt model? I never heard about ESP & Bettencourt...

2. jtm45

jtm45 Well-Known Member

Never heard of an ESP version.

That looks identical to the Washburn NS model though,without the headstock decal and the 'Stephens Extended Cutaway' logo on the neck-joint.

Maybe it's one of those ESP/Edwards jap copies that they make over there.
    Some of the Strats and Les Pauls are very close to the originals.

3. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

That is wierd...I've never heard of Nuno playing an ESP... If memory serves (I was just looking on his webpage, but can't find any gear info) he played a Kramer in his pre-Washburn days.
    Looks pretty similar to the N6...:nuts:

4. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Maybe it's from when he was trying out companies, etc.? Aside from what the site says, the only "ESP" thing on there is the tuners, there are no logos, serial numbers or anything. ESP logoes all their stuff so I'm kind of suspicious.

5. distressed_romeo

distressed_romeo F'king ............ Forum MVP

Yeah, I noticed that too...I wonder if it's some sort of mongrel that was put together in a repair shop or something.

6. darren

darren Decibel Guitars Forum MVP

Yeah, that's my guess. Just a copy made by a no-name luthier who happened to use surplus ESP tuners.

7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

No way that's an ESP. I'd be willing to bet, but alas, there is no way to prove it.

8. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

Get Naren to read what it actually says, lol.

9. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Ever since i've first known of Nuno Bettencourt which I always though was a great player, i've always seen him with Washburn.

10. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Nuno's N4 was based on a guitar he built from Warmoth parts. It had a real strat head. :)

11. bostjan

Man, we sure do ask an awful lot of Naren.

I just can't believe that ESP would make something like that and then not put their name on it. Even if it said ESP all over the body and headstock, I'd still need convincing.

Nothing against ESP nor Washburn, both great companies.

12. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

Maybe that would explain it. It being a Warmoth with a custom style head maybe?[​IMG]

To me, it looks like the Washburn but with no actual logo......

13. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

You asked for it.

From the site (quick translation/summary):

ESP is a diverse guitar and bass component manufacturer that is widely used by pro musicians because of their high level of quality.
    This instrument is a used full copy model of Nuno Bettencourt's favorite Washburn N-4.

There you go. According to that, it's an ESP-made copy of the Washburn signature. Not a prototype or anything.

14. bostjan

:( If that's true my opinion of ESP just went down 70 points.

Not that ESP would care, though. :lol:

15. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

Nah, it had a normal heal. Looked like an unfinished H-H rear routed strat body, with a regular neck and reverse headstock. Really simple guitar. :)

Naren cleared this one up though. :)

16. Naren

ESP is like that over here. They have their own cheapo brand called Edwards or something (don't remember exactly) that is cheaper than Ltd and always says "ESP" in big letters and then "Edwards" in smaller letters and costs about $200 or so for a guitar. They make a lot of copies. ESP also makes a lot of silly stuff like Gundam guitars and Doraemon guitars and just ridiculous nonsensical guitars like that. While they do have $3000 guitars that are really high quality that respectable musicians use, their lower end stuff can be kind of... uh... shameful.... I guess... maybe.

17. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

I think you're thinking of "Grassroots" with the cheapos, the Edwards I've seen have been MIJ. Better quality than an LTD.

18. Naren

I've never played an Edwards before, but from just looking at the prices in stores, they were cheaper than most Ltds I've seen. I didn't know Grassroots had anything to do with ESP. If so, then Grassroots would be their cheapest brand. Because, even though Edwards is cheap, Grassroots is cheaper.

I can't comment on whether LTD or Edwards is better quality, but I went to a guitar shop just a week ago where there was an LTD for about 60,000 yen and an Edwards for about 30,000 yen. Obviously prices vary from specific model to model, but I just tended to see a trend pricewise of LTDs being more expensive than Edwards.

And, yeah, Edwards are all made in Japan, as far as I know. But I think ALL LTDs, Edwards, and ESPs sold in Japan are also made in Japan.

19. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

This might make all the difference, I've never seen a MIJ LTD though. Bunch of people on HC have ordered Edwards from Japan, and they're not too cheap...

The one that turned up locally was along the lines of a real ESP in quality, IIRC.

20. Elysian

Elysian Banned

+1, theres no way esp would put the stevens cutaway on a guitar... of course, ask stevens if he thinks the nuno's cutaway is a stevens cutaway... its a truly bastardized version of what the origional stevens cutaway was(which was neck through, seen on the EC-29 and 36...)