ESP NAMM 2019 thread

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Oct 12, 2018.

1. couverdure

couverdure No Gear Day

This might sound silly, but it would be nice if ESP brought over the Bang Dream models outside of Japan now that the game's English version has been out worldwide for half a year now, and the bands Poppin'Party and Roselia are playing some shows overseas. There's a potential market of worldwide fans who want to own the same guitars the characters play.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The only problem is that they all use rosewood, except for the ESP Original Sayo M-II, since it has ebony, which makes it the only model that's possible to import without extra taxes.

Masoo2 likes this.
  2. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

3. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

True, but it's not an easy task and the markup can be ridiculous. And don't get me started on those shady second hand sellers on Ebay who copy someone else's MX listing and jack up the price.
    I say this as someone who's tried to procure an MX numerous times, but in the end I couldn't justify the obscene markup. Prices for new/used are in gouging territory.
    I thought Meetursparkle was no longer doing the middle man thing, but that could have been someone else.

4. Kaura

Kaura communism is alive

I've been warming up to ESPs lately but I can't stand the abundance of reversed headstocks. I have an old LTD M400 and everytime I look at it, I just want to snap off the headstock. :noplease:

Although/therefore, if I ever were to get another ESP/LTD, I would get one with the cockstock or with the traditional strat headstock.

Edit: Also, BRING BACK THE ANIME GUITARS. :D

5. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Those are a group of independent shittier versions of Meestersparkle, that don't actually own the guitars, but copy dealer listings from off-ebay, throw it on the bay and list international shipping. If you buy it, they have to run to the store and buy it from them so they can ship to you. Their markups are all pretty obscene because they get 0 money from the sale of the instrument.

But if you see something there, go search digimart and 90% of the time you'll find it. It's not Meestursparkle era anymore -- just about all the shops will respond to english inquiry and ship overseas.

setsuna7 likes this.
  6. Womb raider

Yea, those guys can go F themselves.
    I have searched digimart/big boss/yahoo japan auctions trying to source MX250s that were relisted on Ebay, but either the price was still too high or the condition just wasn't up to par. I admit, I'm pretty picky, so this is why I'd rather just place a custom order myself for a brand new one specced to my liking. One can only wish.

7. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Ah, well I know @zimbloth was chatting with some guys here about custom order MXs, maybe he has some more info. Like best base price for a custom order that I was pushing was still like $5k though.

8. Womb raider

Sounds about right. Rather that than the $3-4k+ for the beat up one being shipped in a gig bag.
    Now that we're totally off topic, I see that you are in Japan how is the custom ordering process there? Do you have to go through a dealer like the States or can you just walk into Tokyo shop and place the order? Don't worry, I won't ask you to order me an MX lol.

9. narad

narad Owned a Zune

You can just walk right into the shop, spec it out, pick the woods out in person right there, etc. ESP owns the Big Boss shop and the lines between shop/dealer/luthier is very blurred. It's a bit like going to the PRS shop and speccing out your private stock.

sonofabias and Womb raider like this.
  10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Aside front the part about traditional and cockstocks beingn good, everything about this post is the devil. Fight me.

Crash Dandicoot and Kaura like this.
  11. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Any guitar with ESP on the headstock is 5K+ nowadays. Those MXes aren't actually more expensive than their other K models. Not all sell well though, I got an Original Ultra Tone in january 2017 for 1999€ new from a shop because it didn't sell at 5K5.
    And I think I didn't even do an NGD post for it. I should correct that some day.

Mathemagician and setsuna7 like this.
  12. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Eh, that's not really true though. I can walk into a shop and grab a bunch of original series things new for like $3.8-4.5k. And I was pretty Conservative before: seemed like most base prices were higher and then you add to it for everything, so the two things I specced out were in the $6-7k range. There's really a price point difference between the two brands.

13. Andromalia

Your 3K8+VAT get to 5K pretty fast. ^^
    I sure enjoyed the time I spent there in the 90es but I was unbfortunately poor back then. Or, more accurately, I was saving to buy a flat when I went back to Paris. (I worked in the Nichi Futsu Gakkuin restaurant in lidabashi) I did spend some time drooling in ochanomizu though. Maybe I'll go back there someday but there are few opportunities for a man of my age and occupation to go there. I'm not 20 looking for adventure any longer. :(

14. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Sure, but then hit that VAT onto everything I said about the custom prices too. I don't know how anyone in the UK ever buys a guitar, similar for the EU if you guys also have that 20% rate.

Ah, that would have been awesome. I appreciate that over the past 5 years I've watched Google Maps go from basically worthless to just about equally as good with other places, and I can do my day-to-day without too much language trouble, but I'd love to have been around in the 90s before vloggers and everything and been able to explore/discover without already sort of knowing what I'm going to find. And before Akihabara was 50% tourist on weekends.

At aaany rate, yea, for now I'm living in ochanomizu so always popping in, checking prices, etc.

sonofabias likes this.
  15. sunnyd88

sunnyd88 SS.org Regular

It'll never happen, but they need to stop this E-II BS, bring back ESP Standard Series, stop with this gloss black and gloss necks on everything nonsense, and give us more colors for the Horizon III along with a reversed headstock :) And maybe don't move all the higher end LTD production to Indonesia while not passing any of the savings to the customer. horizoniii -fix-.png DbRwE0wU8AAGbHA.jpg
    Ddgc-NbVwAArtce.jpg

16. Andromalia

The funny thing is, when I give advice to people going to Japan, they tell me "we have google and smartphones now". With a silent and unsaid "grandpa" or something being thought very loudly :D

Well, it was... nothing special, really, except that you had a lot of shops together, and of course a lot of domestic market only models. Most of the street area was taken by console demo stations, it still was a tech place and not so much an otaku haven. I went there to purchase Laserdiscs but that's all the otaku stuff I saw there then. Rest was all hardware. (Walkmans cameras and individual electronic pieces in the sheds nearest the station)

Will stop the OT now but I'm really nostalgic of that time.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    narad likes this.
  17. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I gotta go visit ESP Craft House and Museum in Shibuya sometime.

sonofabias and Crash Dandicoot like this.
  18. Crash Dandicoot

Crash Dandicoot » Supra-ise!

I'd like to see an Original / E-II series Potbelly with some more modern orientated specs.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mix those up and I think we'd have a winner! It's a shame they don't promote it in the same capacity as the Mystique / Amorous and FRX with the Exhibition series. Along with the Formula I think this is one of their most underrated designs.

19. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Add another to the 'never gonna happen' wish list.... this with 7 strings......

[​IMG]

20. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

^ if you can live with 8, the JR-608 isn’t far off.

I just wish LTD didn’t use double truss rods for their 8s. I’m just not a fan of that design. Would much rather see some reinforcement to maintain a straight neck rather that twisting on two rods. I guess the two rods is cheaper.