ESP LTD 1000 Series guitars/basses will now come stock with stainless steel frets

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by HeHasTheJazzHands, Jun 2, 2021.

1. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

2. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

Let me know when ESP get off their asses and make SS for the E-II's.

3. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

HHTJH you always brighten up my day. LTD continues to impress me.

4. IbanezDaemon

IbanezDaemon Raptus regaliter

Seriously great bang for your buck guitars just got a bit better! It's all good!!

I play music and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  5. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

while it sounds fancy, I'd appreciate more, if they'd use something like TUSQ nuts on their guitars instead of molded plastic over SS frets to be honest

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

A nut swap is signiiiiiiificantly easier than a fret change at least. :lol: If you're swapping to a graptech nut, you just need some sandpaper and glue.

7. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

For sure. Swapping the nut on a fixed bridge is like the easiest modification you could do.
    Or bring it to a tech. Changing the nut will cost 15$ versus the 500$ of a stainless steel refret :lol:

Also, it's not just that it *sounds* fancy. Good stainless steel frets make a very big difference.

I play music and fabronaut like this.
  8. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

the point is - there is nothing wrong with standard, 18% nickel frets, but graphtech nut is something I'd consider a standard feature on guitars around 1000 of money. I just miss the logic behind "upgrading" fret material and still using cheap plastic nuts.

it might be just me, but nut material was one of the things that turned my head over from LTD 1000 series to E-II, when I was making my decision on my guitar purchase

HoneyNut and Baconjerky like this.
  9. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Annnnd Jackson still falls behind on the import race. Good move on the LTDs!

LCW, I play music and Mathemagician like this.
  10. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Logic is to offer a better guitar, with better specs, that is going to play better and attract more buyers. A better stock nut on top of that would have been even better sure, but stainless steel frets is 10x the value, especially considering how easy and inexpensive it is to upgrade a nut.

Regarding the nut, it's not just you because I've heard similar things in the past, but you're clearly missing out if you're excluding great guitars on the basis of the easiest fixable thing in luthiery. And if you're so fixated on the nut anyway, you're probably buying an aftermarket one and filing it to your string gauge and setup anyway, so it doesn't matter what the guitar originally came with.

There's nothing "wrong" with nickel sure, but stainless is measurably better on a number of metrics and for a majority of use cases so... It's the same argument as saying there was nothing wrong with payphones at the time, but everyone having a smartphone now is more convenient for the majority of people. It's just progress.

11. T00DEEPBLUE

T00DEEPBLUE SS.org Regular

In case you need to be reminded; Graphtech nuts are also made out of cheap plastic. The difference in what we pay comes from marketing.

String nuts are easy and cheap to replace. Frets are not. Turning down an otherwise perfect guitar because the nut isn't derived from a marketable brand name is pretty irrational.

Nickel frets are fine and get the job done but stainless steel is objectively way better performance-wise. Especially in the long term. Having brands like LTD and Solar (and even Harley Benton to some extent) offer stainless steel frets sets an example for the rest of the guitar industry to follow. It's technological progress that raises the bar for specs and quality at an affordable price. To the point that not offering stainless steel at this price point is beginning to become antiquated. And will only get more antiquated as time goes on.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

At around $2kCAD, this makes a bit more sense.

AkiraSpectrum and AlexCorriveau like this.
  13. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

bout time. Now everyone else needs to get onboard. stainless 4 all!

Mathemagician and vilk like this.
  14. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I remember when this was announced in january. Still surprised that they aren't doing stainless frets on E-II guitars. But I'm perfectly fine with most of the 1000 series LTD stuff anyways.

15. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

anyone who's used a graphtech nut vs whatever shit imports normally come with will vehemently disagree about the two being similar. Yes, in a reductive sense both are plastic, but they don't behave similarly. Nuts are the easiest upgrade and tend to make the biggest difference in terms of stability ime.

16. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

It makes perfect sense from a product management standpoint. Those don't have a ton of overlap in terms of target audience.
    People buying with specs in mind and cross-shopping LTD against high-end import Schecters or the like are no longer going to put "frets" in the drawback column for those LTDs.
    People already buying E-ii over LTDs for the "MIJ aura" over specs and value are not going to change their mind because of that one thing.
    People with $$$ who want the brand name on the headstock and the top specs will buy an ESP USA or higher.
    The hierarchy in their product lineup is still intact.

LCW likes this.
  17. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

To me it's not. But agree to disagree on this one.

Mathemagician likes this.
  18. NeglectedField

NeglectedField SS.org Regular

Good move, though one I expect might be met with a price hike. But whaddo I know.

19. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I like how they aren’t confident to say that SS stays smooth and doesn’t wear after upgrading their entire 1000 series with them.

As long as the frets are correctly polished it’s a good thing to have them on production guitars otherwise you still need to ad on tech fees(if you don’t have the polishing equipment yourself).

Millul likes this.
  20. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

It shouldn't be too hard to toss a bone nut on there.

HoneyNut, Marked Man and 4Eyes like this.