ESP Exhibition 2020 dealer investigation

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Forkface, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

2. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

Did you ask already on the ESP forums, or message ESP directly?

3. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

i msg'd esp with no luck, i guess ill try again.

4. possumkiller

possumkiller Square Dance Caller

That bridge is perfect for the horizon. Wtf is up with that red dot on the 22th fret though?

narad likes this.
  5. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Since it overlaps the string, it look slike someone might have taken a screenshot/snip and accidentally clicked on it, and drew a red dot before saving the image.

Hollowway likes this.
  6. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

aaaaand that would be correct. i couldnt for the life of me figure out how to download an instagram image, so i snipped it.

Hollowway and spudmunkey like this.
  7. mikernaut

mikernaut pixel pusher

Guitar has a pimple :)

8. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

I don't have an answer to your question, but that's hot as shit.

c7spheres and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  9. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

It would probably be easier to ask ESP Japan than USA. If you need help going down that route, let me know. I'd start by contacting the direct management shops (Big Boss, ESP Guitar Workshop, etc.)

This guitar is sold (evidence in this video @ 9-10s in)

And, it likely in the hands of a private collector (just a guess so, still reach out to ESP Japan). There is no way to track down where Exhibition guitars go.

When I was in Japan a couple of years ago, I was told many of the guitars end up in the hands of private collectors very early on and are never seen again. I expect this is the case for the EX20-13 you're inquiring about. I asked specifically about both of the pink/purple Exhibition Horizons and was told that's what happened to them. That's why there are no pictures of them besides NAMM show floor photos and ESP product photos. Assuming you didn't have info this guitar specifically, here it is.

ESP HORIZON-CTM NT EX20-13, Serial No. E9131192

BODY (Top)Flamed Maple w/Natural Binding, (Center)Korina, (Back)Flamed Maple
    (Total Thickness 50mm)
    NECK Korina
    HEAD ANGLE 14 Degrees
    GRIP SHAPE Slim U
    FINGERBOARD Ebony w/Flamed Maple Binding
    RADIUS 305R
    SCALE 648mm
    NUT Unbleached Bone(42mm)
    INLAY (Top)Double Stripes(Pearl&Recon505), (Side)Pearl Dot w/Brass Rim
    FRET JESCAR FW57110-NS, 24 Frets
    CONSTRUCTION Set-neck(Heel-Less)
    TUNER GOTOH SG360-07(Macassar Ebony Botton) MG-T
    BRIDGE ESP ESP FB20-6 Brass -Direction-
    PICKUPS (Neck)Bare Knuckle Painkiller, (Bridge)Bare Knuckle Painkiller
    PICKUP COVER Gold
    ESCATHION Macassar Ebony, Hard Maple
    PARTS COLOR Gold
    CONTROLS Master Volume, Master Tone, Toggle PU Selector
    COLOR Purple Red Gradation / Black w/Gold Filler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

yeah figured as much. ill try with ESP japan. Thank you for the info and the better pics Ikke!

under the assumption that i cant acquire this particular guitar, i'm assuming the custom shop would build me something relatively similar, right?
    specifically because more often than not you see horizons with TOM bridges, and this one has a hipshot-esque bridge (given that says ESP bridge, most likely a proprietary bridge here)
    hopefully its not like a one-off bridge and they can actually use it on more guitars.

TBH if any of the Original Series Horizons had a bridge like this i would probably get one of those and get on with it.

11. Ikke

No problem. Happy to help with all ESP-related inquiries.

Your assumption is mostly correct...Mostly correct because if you have the desire, and more importantly, the cash (that EX20-13 was $13000 from my memory), they will build you that exact guitar. Just because it's an exhibition piece doesn't mean ESP won't make it again.

For example, someone ordered basically the EX18-39 Horizon-CTM FT in Horizon-III body style variant instead Horizon-II/CTM variant. And to be clear, there is no production version of the Horizon-FT. It was only done as an Exhibition version. My Horizon Custom is a mix of Original, Exhibition, and USA specs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as the bridge, yes it's a custom job that is on some other Exhibition models (the other ERG Horizons and Amorous). I'm sure you can get that as well. You could just order a production Horizon with that custom bridge if you wanted (it will, likely, still be expensive).

Or, if you just want a Hipshot (like I did), then get that. Also, you'll notice that these Exhibition ERG Horizons are variants of the 2018 Horizon_FT as well (although not noted as such).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, sorry for the ramble. I like talking about ESP.

12. Ikke

And, not to derail your thread, but it's on topic. This is my Horizon, which as I said before is a mix of Exhibition, Original, and USA specs just to give you an idea along with the Horizon-III FT above.

Also, you can just order a production model with a Hipshot. I thought about just getting a Horizon-PT with Hipshot, but ultimately decided that if I'm going to order a Custom, I'm going all the way. Actually, the only reason I ordered my Horizon was because: 1) I wanted a Hipshot and 2) I wanted a pink guitar. Not that I have a problem with TOMs. All my Vipers have them and I ordered my custom Viper with a TOM as well.

[​IMG]

13. Forkface

Forkface Feast on this.

man, so much knowledge in this thread im glad I started it haha, thank you so much for sharing.
    while we're here, you refered to horizon-PT, horizon-CTM, horizon FT etc etc. what are the differences between those?

also, your horizon is gorgeous.

14. Ikke

Sure. I'm giving you the full list because there are important differences between the models. Especially understanding the Horizon-II specifically. I'm breaking them up into categories because I think it'll help differentiate between their "DNA", so to speak. There are many more Horizon variants I won't go into. Just the main ones which are:

Horizon Custom, Horizon Bass, Horizon-II, & Horizon-CTM (2015-Present)

Horizon Custom (80's) DNA: Distinguishing Feature: Carve Top, Blade Headstock (either Jackson curved or ESP straight), Neck-Thru Construction

Overview: The Original Horizon is a carve-top version of the ESP Mirage, now known as the M series line (M-I, M-II).

Horizon-I = 1 Single Coil
    Horizon-II NT (No Trem) = 2 Humbuckers, TOM Bridge
    Horizon-II NT USA

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Horizon Bass DNA: Distinguishing Feature: Offset, Pointy Body, Carve Top, Teardrop Headstock

Overview: An odd, now rare, bass ESP used to make. The Horizon-III came after the Horizon-II just to be clear.

Horizon-III = Guitar version of Horizon Bass

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Horizon-II DNA: Distinguishing Feature: Carve Top, Teardrop Headstock, Neck-Thru Construction

Overview: This version of the Horizon ultimately became "The ESP", but is now no longer in production.
    Horizon Custom Archtop + Jackson lawsuit + Horizon Bass headstock = Horizon-II

Horizon-II = 2 Humbuckers, TOM (exists, but very rare) or Floyd Rose Bridge
    Horizon-CTM (CTM = Custom) = a Horizon-II with a Figured Maple Top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Horizon-CTM (2015 - Present) DNA: Distinguishing Feature: Carve Top, Teardrop Headstock, Thicker Body, Set-Thru Construction

Overview: The Horizon-CTM morphed into it's own line and became the flagship ESP in Japan. The body thickness increased and the construction changed.

Horizon-PT (Plain Top) = Plain Maple Top version of the current Horizon-CTM
    Horizon-FT (Flat Top) = Flat Top/Semi-Carve Version of the current Horizon-CTM

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  15. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

Oh HELL YES.

mlp187, Adieu, Mathemagician and 5 others like this.
  16. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

That thing is incredible! What did they call that color? Love it man, great choice!

17. Ikke

That post was probably more detailed than you wanted.

TLDR:

Horizon Custom = Lawsuit Jackson Headstock in Horizon-I or Horizon-II stylings
    Horizon-I = 1 Single Coil Pickup
    Horizon-II = 2 Hums with Teardrop Headstock
    Horizon-II NT (NT = No Tremolo) = 2 Hums with Blade/Dagger Headstock
    Horizon-III = Offset Pointy Body
    Horizon-CTM (EOP) (CTM = Custom) = Figured Top version of Horizon-II
    Horizon-CTM (Modern) (CTM = Custom) = Thick Body Set Thru Version of Horizon-CTM
    Horizon-PT (PT = Plain Top) = Figured Top version of Horizon-CTM (Modern)
    Horizon-FT (FT = Flat Top) = Semi Carved version of Horizon-CTM (Modern)

EDIT: Just in case it comes up, the USA Horizons are kind of different. But, since you didn't really ask about them, I'll not go into great detail. And there are many more Horizon variants that I didn't go into. But, if you ever want to know more, let me know haha.

EOP = End of Production by the way.

Also I hope they/y'all don't mind...

@Crash Dandicoot Has Horizon-CTM (Modern) original series model
    @feraledge Has a Horizon-II/CTM Custom (his is a custom he had made)
    @JD27 Had(?) a Horizon-III limited run custom model

Some other people have other Horizons, but I'm not as familiar with them so, I won't post their stuff.

Also, there's two main ESP threads that are small but usually good for ESP questions. I'm always happy to answer (in the threads or DM), but if you'd like to cast a wide(r) net, there's the:

ESP Owners Club (all ESP ranges from LTD - Full Customs): https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/esp-owners-club-show-us-your-esps.187643/page-85

ESP Custom Club (Navigator, USA, Original, Signature, Custom Shop, and Full Customs): https://www.sevenstring.org/threads/esp-custom-club.313510/page-20

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  18. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I wish someone like the axe palace would put together a 6 string EII Horizon run with a hipshot bridge. Would be an instant buy for me...

Mathemagician likes this.
  19. Samark

Samark SS.org Regular

That bridge is a better version of the Hipshot Ibby

Adieu likes this.
  20. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Gorgeous axe but for the life of me I can't stomach the new headstocks. This Jackson sue or they just decided to change?

c7spheres likes this.