ESP E-II quality?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by angl2k, Sep 21, 2016.

1. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

So I found this E-II 7 string guitar in an online store and was just about to seal the deal until the pics came in:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Store manager says the guitar has practically been unplayed except for a few customers and that the guitar came in like that from the ESP factory. It's an HRF with black matte finish. I'm surprised ESP would ship this kind of flawed guitar to a dealer without labeling it factory second.

My ESP standards which have been discontinued are pretty much flawless. Since ESP claims the standard line has been renamed to E-II I was wondering if the E-II line meets the same quality standards as the older standard line. Before, I would blindly order an ESP in an online store and trusted that I received a well-made guitar. After seeing those pics, I'm not so sure anymore.

I've been drooling on one of those E-II Horizon 7's are there any owners out there who can comment on the quality? Especially compared to the older standard line?

2. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

The retailer has an interest in convincing you that a demo unit's flaws came that way from the factory, I wouldn't believe a word.

The first two are absolutely wear and tear, and the third one might be too. Satin finishes wear badly. If you want a pristine guitar, avoid them like the plague.

3. Yodel

Yodel Banned

Looks like dried sweat. Ask that lazy dealer to wipe it down and send new pics

4. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I asked them if they cleaned the guitar before making the pictures. They said it was cleaned.

The first picture looked like wear from playing to me too. Guess I'm not getting a guitar with satin finish if they wear like that just from playing.

5. GuitarBizarre

GuitarBizarre Listen to physics.

My advice is don't worry about the finish. Satin guitars do wear in over time but that just makes them cooler.

Obviously if that finish wear feels awful on the back of the neck that's a different thing, but the picture of the front would raise no eyebrows with me apart from to ask for a reduction in price given obvious playtime on the guitar, wear on frets etc that I may have to get sorted.

6. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

THIS^

Satin guitars with polished spots in places look dope. Worn down finishes look dope. It's all personal preference ofc, but no guitar you own and play somewhat regularly is going to stay mint for long. If the wear is in places that resulted from playing, think of it as if it's been worn in a little for you. Also, you don't have that brand new guitar paranoia about maybe getting a scratch somewhere for the first time.

7. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

First pic is clearly pinky anchoring wear on a matte guitar.
    Second is a guy playing the guitar while in shorts and sweating on it.
    Third is hand sweat.

8. Wolfhorsky

Wolfhorsky Regular idiot

This b-stock as hell. I think it is a visible wear of the finish, not factory related flaw.

9. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies. The guitar is listed as 'clearance stock' not as brand new. It was discounted from MSRP.

They claim it's unused and that the clearance is due to low interest/niche market in ERG in their country (New Zealand). Perhaps they did get the guitar in that condition but was used/played elsewhere before they acquired it.

I'm a bit bummed that the store didn't notify me of this until after I asked for pics though.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That's normal wear and tear. I guarantee you it's sitting there with the low E dropped to D, -"and the low B is just tuned to drop-whatever from the dumbasses who touch everything all the time. I know GC isn't supposed to negotiate I wouldn't pay more than 50% of retail. It's not a factory issue, it's been sitting there for 2+ years.

It WILL however he a great guitar when you clean it up/wipe it down and give it a set up. Those ESP's MIJ are no joke.

11. Arkhanum

Arkhanum SS.org Regular

I work at a music store, akin to GC and we have a couple E-II´s and to be honest, they´re not bad instruments, but I have guitars that costed a third of their price and play and sound just as good as them, thus making them a no-go for me. We have a Horizon 7 fr that will not get in tune, a TE7 that sounds muddy as hell and a couple more.

12. purpledc

purpledc Proud blacksheep

my theory is the store manager is so full of .... that his eyes are turning brown as I type this if they weren't all ready. I worked music retail for years. There is absolutely 0 ability for any worker in a store to be able to say that a guitar was never played. Its simply impossible. Not only that but anyone working that business who pulls that out of a box would immediately be filing for an RA# to send it right back. Not that I would believe ESP sent that out in the first place. But if they did it would never have seen a sales floor. Honestly? its that kind of crap some store associates pull that have me never going back.

13. Dudley

Dudley SS.org Regular

I had a baritone satin black E-II tele 7 string that felt like a great guitar, but the paint started to flake off the back of the neck, slowly at first and then in large chunks. In addition to that, the side-dots weren't even, there were rough patches in the wood that'd been painted over, glue on the fretboard etc...

The replacement that I got was cosmetically fine but an absolutely dead plank tonally. Just felt and sounded terrible.

On the other hand, I recently played an E-II Eclipse in a store that was a really nice instrument!

I own 3 ESP-badged Standard Series guitars, all bought online without playing them first and they're all flawless, but that's not something I'd feel comfortable doing with an E-II anymore going off my experiences so far.