ESP E-II Necks?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by JustinRhoads1980, Jun 13, 2019.

1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Hey SSO, I am going to be selling my Jackson USA Soloist shortly and I have been looking at guitars that I plan on buying once I sell my USA.

I of course defaulted into schecter, but I currently can't find something that I am really that into besides the SLS Elite series which is why I am selling another guitar to fund that.

I gave ESP a look and due to my budget being higher, I landed in the E-II range.

Now what I want to know is, what are the Thin U profiles like? Are they comparable to anything Jackson or Schecter has? Is it in the middle between what those two brands offer?

I am curious to know what it is like since I have gotten keen into this one ESP and want to know what it feels like before I buy. Unfortunately, NO GC or Sam Ash has any E-ii's at all near me and especially this model so it makes it hard for me to play it before buying it.

Here is the guitar:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So for those that I have played or owned an E-II with the Thin U profile, what are your thoughts on it?

(Also if you are interested in a Jackson USA SL2H feel free to DM me, I will be listing it in a few days).

Thanks guys

2. JustinRhoads1980

And if any of you guys own this model let me know how you like it and make sure to post pics! :worth:

3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

I have an ESP E-II Mystique with the Thin-U profile, and I really like it. To my knowledge the Thin-U profile changed in 2013-2014 (?) and now has a thicker and rounder back. It's not 'thick' but more 'medium', or 'almost medium' in thickness. I prefer the newer Thin-U to the older Thin-U but still like both.

Since I believe all E-II's have the newer Thin-U profile then we should be roughly in the same ball-park, although the neck will slightly differ from model to model. For example, my E-II Mystique felt thinner than the E-II Horizon I played in a store last year. I'm not sure if this is just due to natural variance or if the neck shape is slightly different depending on model--either way their in the same ball-park, generally speaking.

I'd say the E-II Thin-U's are thicker than your typical Jackson (haven't played a USA Jackson Soloist in forever though), but not by a lot. From memory, the old Thin-U felt more Jackson like to me, and the new Thin-U has that 'fatter and rounder back' that I mentioned earlier.

I have never played a USA Schecter, but the import models that I've played will have thinner necks (C-1 models) than the new E-II models. I think Schecter has the 'extra thin c' and 'thin c' on most of their C-1 models and I'd say the E-II thin-U is still thicker than the Schecter Thin C; again, most of the difference is in the 'center/back' of the neck, where the E-II has a thicker/rounder profile.

4. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

All of my guitars, which are all ESP's, have Thin U necks (2 Horizons, 3 Viper 7's, 1 Stream SL5). It's the most comfortable neck for my hands. I had an LTD M1000 some years back with the Extra Thin U that hurt my hands. I'm more of a rhythm kind of gal, so chording on the Extra Thin U put a strain on my hand. The Thin U not so much.

I don't have any real notable experience outside of ESP though, so I can't give an opinion on any other guitars.

5. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

I think the esp will have a narrower neck over the Jackson. I believe that one is a 42mm, Jackson is 42.86mm and the schecter is 41.3mm.

protest likes this.
  6. bouVIP

bouVIP SS.org Regular

I can't compare to Jacksons (only had Misha's sig), but with the E-II/ESP thin u they are my favorite neck profiles. It's not flat and thin like most modern metal guitars. It's not bulky or thick, but it's round and feels very comfortable and filling especially as a rhythm player

7. protest

protest SS.org Regular

This will be the biggest difference IMO. ESP has a more narrow board and Jacksons have a wider board.

I've only had older ESPs without the Thin-U and a 2000ish standard series that might have had the Extra Thin-U. All the ESP necks were thinner than the neck on my Soloist, but I believe the neck on my Jackson is thicker than normal. I still think the biggest difference is the nut width/string spacing.

Alex79 and AkiraSpectrum like this.
  8. JustinRhoads1980

Does the thin U necks compare to the wizard iii at all? My sales engineer said that it is pretty close to it and I absolutely hate ibby necks

9. Ikke

Ikke A Dream Cartographer

Again, I’m not familiar with Ibanez, but from what I’ve always understood, ESP’s Extra Thin U was most similar to the Wizard Neck. The Thin U is thicker than that.

10. Velokki

Velokki GAS station

One thing I would take into account there, is the shiny Ebony board. I was about to buy a Horizon FR-II, Reindeer Blue and all... oh, it was glorious. But the feel of the Ebony board was really not nice, especially when I compared it to my older Horizon with rosewood. The Ebony almost felt like hard black plastic, it was that dense and rigid. Not a "soft" wood at all, which I only now realize that I like on guitars. Don't get me wrong, I love my WM526 which has the Carbon Glass Epoxy fretboard - but that one feels slick and nice, the Ebony on the Horizon felt like almost like a sticky plastic surface.

That fretboard on your pic shines just like it, so I would be aware of it.

V_man likes this.
  11. AkiraSpectrum

The Thin U neck on en E-II will be thicker and have a different profile than a Wizard III.

I agree with a number of people who say that generally Jackson necks tend to be a touch wider than ESP/E-II necks, which are a little more narrow.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  12. V_man

V_man SS.org Regular

I agree on that. I have two hrf horizons (standard series) and their ebony look strangely black, like with some kind of gloss finish, though I don`t dislike that. But that`s the reason I like jackson more these days. Their ebony maybe is a little more brown and striped, but at the same time looks more natural. You can tell that wood came from a living being.

Velokki likes this.
  13. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Had an EII MII just like the one pictured above, and currently own an USA Jackson SL1.
    The ESP neck is rounder, a bit thicker, and narrower - very nice feeling.
    Fretwork on mine was the best I've ever touched barring an EBMM JP6.

Overall, the EII MII was an amazing guitar, which I deeply regret selling.

14. arasys

arasys SS.org Regular

ESPs Thin U seems to be thicker, and narrower than regular Jackson fretboards based on my experience. It's not Gibson Traditional LP thick but round, yet definitely not as thin as Soloist 1 neck. So I believe E-II MII necks would be somewhere in between.

I can also second the "plasticy" feel on the ESPs ebony fretboard. I never thought about it before, but after reading others' experience I can confirm this. Maybe that's why their fretboard looks dyed and feels that way? Other brands' ebony fretboards feel organic or like smooth wood ime.

15. JustinRhoads1980

Well then considering this I feel that I might end up liking it then. My Schecter is narrower than my jackson and has the ultra thin C profile which I like a lot. The ESP is not as narrow as my schecter (1.625) and since it is rounder I might end up liking it more possibly.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  16. JustinRhoads1980

And about the fretboard, I can't honestly form an opinion on that yet since I actually would have to play that to see whether that might be an issue.

All I know is that the fretboards look sleek and glossy which I kinda like.

Are the fretboards lacquered? What causes them to be all shiny?

17. AlexCorriveau

AlexCorriveau Yeeeeeeeeesssssssss

Horizon necks are fatter than what you would expect, but most of the ESP thin U necks feel awesome. They sure are fatter and rounder than Jackson necks, but are absolutely not Gibsonesque or early Schecter-like. They're in a good "in between" range, leaning more on the thinner side.

18. AkiraSpectrum

I say give the E-II a shot!

Supposedly, ESP E-II ebony boards are usually polished and treated to make them all shiny/glossy in appearance--but they are not lacquered. This question was answered by a few 'in the know' a few weeks ago on this board I believe.

19. JustinRhoads1980

I will definitely give it a shot! I plan on buying this guitar and another schecter. Selling two of my jacksons to fund these.

yeah my sweetwater rep said they were. I always thought they just dyed em to make em look jet black and polished em, but when he told me they were lacquered I got worried since I remember playing a strat with a lacquered fingerboard and did not like the feel of it

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. AkiraSpectrum

Can't wait to hear what you think about it when you get it!

Hmm, I know a lot of people assume its a lacquer just based on look and even feel, but according to a couple people in-the-know it is not; it is just highly polished so that it looks like it has a gloss lacquer over it. This info is coming from one of the mods on this site who has been a long-time guitar tech, handling many ESP's over the years, as well as from some other's who have had extensive contact about that topic with actual ESP employees.

I have played 3 E-II's with Ebony boards that were made in 2018 and it was clear that there was no lacquer on these (like you'd find on Fender American Pro Series instruments with Maple boards).