ESP E-II MF-9 BABYMETAL Collaboration Model

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by couverdure, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

This should be ABORTED.

I will repeat my stance on this clearly : this should NOT be happening

a younger me would’ve actually gotten slightly upset at the prospect that those clowns have a clown guitar made for them by one of, if not, the best custom shop on earth....and then they go and make it 9 string on top of it, like why not go for 10 since this is SO unnecessary

what a joke....baby metal....and the masses keep laughing, only the hegemony knows their laughing unwittingly at themselves

lol!!!! Just my angry whisky, bad day and , the sobering truth of an alcohol fueled opinion about a band that shouldn’t exist esp getting an ESP sig

like what ajooooke dude!?
    Their hands are smaller than a 10 year old American , how the hell are they even going to fret????? Like ala Michael Angelo Battio: flip your hand upside down and fret backwards basically

they can’t even play their signature

wtf is wrong with esp? Then again baby metal is probably a home team band so I can see how they are using those little Asians to sell to us big, bad Americans

How many will be fooled by this ploy???

FWIW ESP KNOWS how to market and build guitars so Kudos to them on making money, god bless America

2. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

In all fairness the guitar players are playing them, not the girls themselves. The girls are just the "face" of BabyMetal. It is ridiculous, but for some reason I still want one, but way to expensive for me. It does look fun to mess around on though.

sharedEQ and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  3. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Oh good call man
    And I agree, why do you think I’m partially annoyed : the build quality alone is going to be enough to make me wanna touch it, but as you said, def not a buy item

4. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

Don't worry. Plenty of people will. I've seen people post on Twitter after reserving theirs at the BigBoss store.

I'm not a fan of Babymetal but no matter how you feel about them or their music they have made an impact. I have to respect the heavy lifting they have done. They have helped pave the way for a lot of other Japanese bands to gain attention outside of Japan.

5. mlp187

mlp187 Burrito Master Contributor

I have a nine string I don't play at all and I want this. I don't care for babymetal either. I just really like the guitar.

6. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

They have a gimmick that works.

7. sezna

sezna undermotivated Contributor

At risk of taking this way off topic, at what point does artistic novelty become a gimmick?

8. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

Artistic novelty implies unique.

There are tons of studio backed female trio/quatro bands. From Bannanarama to Destiny's Child. That someone applied this formula to metal qualifies as gimmick, in my book. But one that works.

Why don't you tell me about how your book differs from my book...

Hollowway likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

So they are up-front about the fact that they are a "manufactured" band. So what. The material is a lot of fun IMHO and the musicians playing are really talented. No music is for everyone though.

dspear732 and aesthyrian like this.
  10. sezna

sezna undermotivated Contributor

I don’t think our books differ too much. I agree that fusing two disparate genres can be a gimmick. That being said, It think one can attribute more artistic integrity to babymetal if they first are familiar with jpop. To the uninitiated, it seems like a mindless genre blend, but I see it as the natural conclusion of the recent explosion of popularity of metal and rock in japan combined with their pop music culture.

for context, i live in asia, and I think the “manufactured” nature of pop stars is standard and embraced, which is a bit weird for a western audience. that in itself should not put anybody off from their music, so I agree with you.

AltecGreen likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I love Babymetal. The vocals are interesting, but the music is technically challenging enough to keep my interest. I really want the 7 string Arrow sig. This one I can do without, just because it doesn't look terribly interesting. And I hate manufactured bands and talentless musicians as much as the next guy, but there is an actual band playing these instruments. That's a lot more than you can say for a lot of manufactured bands, who sing/play only over fully recorded backing tracks and do not write their own material. If the girls were just singing over backing track I'd say hard pass. But I'd love to see one of their live shows sometime.

mikernaut and dspear732 like this.
  12. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

huge esp fan, but after all these years that e-ll logo still bugs me...

13. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've warmed up to it.

Then again, I'm not fond of the swoopy ESP logo.

Block logo for life!

14. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I wonder why they (other brands included) just put the best logo's on the headstocks and put the E-ii or whatever on the back along with the serial number. It would look way better with the block logo ESP on there, and just put the E-ii somewhere else. This is why other companies too should to more no inlay's no logo's etc. Peopleinto guitars know what it is anyways. Well, maybe not I guess.

15. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I think they want to reserve the "ESP" logo for their more expensive, up-market lines. Stuff like Custom Shop, Original, USA, etc.

In particular ESP has always had a ton of sub-brands. That's just how they operate it seems.

c7spheres likes this.
  16. nightlight

nightlight SS.org Regular

That guitar does look pretty kick ass, whatever you want to think about Babymetal.

17. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Yeah, I find it somewhat refreshing that everyone understands that it's just a performance. My wife and I are American, but she meet with some Korean record executives a few years ago, and they explained how they put together a band with members hired to perform a specific act: they are expected to sound, look, dress, and behave in public in a way that suits the band. The fans know that all of it is an act from top to bottom, and everyone has fun with it. Seems much more reasonable than what seems to be the western idea that musicians absolutely must be "authentic" in some way, and that their private, inner-most thoughts and inherent being must match with the on-stage persona.

18. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

I don't know, if you look at pop music, we're pretty much playing the same game. But most people aren't thinking those performers are authentic to anything other than a paycheck. But that's the difference between performer/musician and artist. An artist doesn't have to be a performer or even really a musician, but people do expect a level of authenticity.

19. AltecGreen

AltecGreen SS.org Regular

The debate about 'manufactured' is not something particularly new. The stigma of 'manufactured' still haunt the Monkees 50 years later. How does one define 'manufactured' in the first place. Is it the fact they didn't write their own music? Lots of famous acts didn't write their own music. Elvis Presley, Joe Cocker, many of the Motown bands. In fact you could make the argument that many of the Motown acts were a product of the label since they had a team of session players, song writers, etc.

For people who are put off by Babymetal, you better hide now. The Western media is playing up Ironbunny, a new act, as a rival to Babymetal.

Let's add a cyborg bunny to girl singers. I find the vocals in Ironbunny to be superior to Babymetal.

It is curious that a lot of Western artists are actively collaborating with these acts. Joakim Broden of Sabaton, Alissa Gluz-White of Archenemy, and Tim Henson and Scott Lepage of Polyphia performed on Babymetal's latest album. Ironbunny's debut album featured Doug Aldrich, Geroge Lynch, and Warren DeMartini.

20. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I do enjoy Ironbunny, though I didn't really think of him in the context of Babymetal.

And yeah, many many many musicians/bands buy songs from others. I don't really buy the idea than an "artist" must be somehow authentic to their on-stage/performing persona. Authors and actors are not their characters but rather use them as forms of expression. Musicians I would think would get the same benefit.