ESP Custom Shop Won't build it

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by metal4life71, Mar 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metal4life71

metal4life71 SS.org Regular

Just heard back that the ESP custom shop refused to build me a version of Slayer Hanneman guitar with the rune inlays and death head skulls because it is considered "NAZI" memorabilia. WTF? Seriously? Guess need to find local luthier to build one. Strange considering that Hanneman of Slayer had this stuff all over his custom ESP and Jackson guitars.

So I found out besides way sky high prices like 15k plus for a custom build, ESP refused to build what I want in a guitar. It would be cool to have a Kaiju or samurai type guitar like the Shinobi one they made. Guess will find local luthier. I also found other custom shops to offer similar quality builds for less cash like Mayones, Padalka and GNG. A 7 string Morgoth would be pretty sweet. Mayones quoted me 5-6k for a custom build but no forearm rest or compound radius can be provided. Not really custom afterall. Perhaps the Padalka or GNG luthiers can build what I really want.

Attached Files:

efiltsohg likes this.
  2. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

If your inlay idea is most associated with the SS and modern neo-nazi groups, it probably ain't a great inlay idea. Kinda cool that ESP is actually asking whether or not they should honor these requests, as they historically seem to do whatever for their artists.

3. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire sso's unofficial pickup hoarder

The combination of ss runes and the totenkopf is blatant nazi imagery tbh. That combo was literally what death squads (einsatzgruppen) wore. If it was just the totenkopf, then you'd be fine, since you could argue that skull insignias have been in use since at least Roman times

I don't know why you'd expect to have them build you a guitar like that in today's political climate.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I mean, they stopped producing the production models without the runes. :lol: Thank fucking god, too.

The skull you could have gotten away with. The Michael Wilton sig had the death skulls for awhile now.

JimF likes this.
  5. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

How long ago did ESP make the guitars for Jeff with those graphics? If it was a long time ago, then it's understandable that there would be time to reconsider that offering. Now, if it's believed that if Jeff were still alive ESP would etch Hitler's face into the body at his behest- that's undoubtedly another story.

JimF likes this.
  6. xzacx

xzacx SS.org Regular

I’ve seen a lot of “first world problems” discussed here but crying that you can’t get a Nazi guitar made might be the first instance of Third Reich problems I’ve come across.

Boofchuck, himay, magnoolia and 49 others like this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I've seen one made as late as 2011 that had the reichery on it.

https://www.rockstarsguitars.com/products/slayer/jeff-hanneman/jeff-hannemans-esp-hanneman/

:rofl: :rofl:

8. KnightBrolaire

I mean if you really want a war crime glorifying guitar get something Unit 731 or firebombing related :shrug:
    Those are actually vastly unexplored topics in metal imagery.

9. ikarus

ikarus SS.org Regular

I am glad that ESP does not build you a guitar with this disgusting inlays! I hope you are not foolish enough to ask Mayones, a polish company, to build you a guitar with these kind of inlays.

Emperoff, JimF, stevexc and 3 others like this.
  10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Are you just trolling at this point? Good on you, if so. You got me at least.

buck fever likes this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- This is discrimination and Nazi shaming. How dare they! Just kidding.
    - Seriously though, not all Nazi's were on board with what was going on over there during that time. People get forced into stuff they don't want to be part of all the time. ESP not building it is understandable though. They don't want their name on a guitar with that stuff on it. Can't blame them at all.
    - Hanneman should have been denied it way back when he asked to have it built. He wasn't even born until decades after the war anyways.
    - Hanneman and Slayer and a lot of other bands and people can all keep saying that their not Nazi's or Satan worshippers or child molesters or whatever, but when your constantly surrounding yourself with it and it's imagery by choise, spending thousands of dollars on collectables and a ton of your time studying it's history, then it's kind of like the "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's probably a duck" saying, imo. - If it isn't your job or for a project or something, then chances are you at least hold some similar beliefs. Wikipedia says his dad gave him a medal taken off a Nazi soldier etc and then he met Lemmy and got into it more etc. Sorry, I don't buy it. It may have started off that way but probably progressed. It is pretty interesting stuff, tbh. It's one thing to be fascinated by the history and collect things etc. It's another thing when you get customized images built or engraved or tattooed and flash them off in front of thousand of people. When you go out of your way to do this it could be seen as promotion or propoganda. Probably because it IS.
    - That being said YOur best bet to get it built is by a ghost builder.

12. metal4life71

Well I said that I wanted JUST the runes not the death head in my original quote to ESP and only as inlays. I then said ok so you think runes are nazi then put fucking celtic cross inlays, geezus. Funny if you are a rock star they build it right? It is not like I wanted every NAZI symbol on the damn custom guitar.

And for the record these all had spiritual origins before Adolf Hitler hijacked them for his sick purposes.

c7spheres likes this.
  13. narad

I just think that if you have to be constantly denying you're a nazi idol or white supremacist, you're probably doing something wrong! And yea, if you need content in your wiki page to provide an alt origin story for the symbols you use to brand yourself, well...

Like I had an "acquaintance" in undergrad who collected nazi memorabilia and had the same pitch of, "Oh, I'm just really fascinated by history and WWII". Then you get him drunk and he can't stop talking about the superiority of German tanks and military strategy. Then a couple more drinks later and racial superiority is on the table.

Maybe Hanneman really was just fascinated by something, but you still have to have the foresight to think about how using that imagery is going to be a perceived by other people, or what effect that might have to younger fans who read between the lines and think, "Hmm, my guitar idol thinks Nazis are cool. Maybe I'll look into that". Kids are dumb -- they definitely don't need any pointers to do dumb things or adopt dumb worldviews.

14. metal4life71

Anyways, no biggie as I am more of an anime fan than a Slayer fan! I wonder if ESP custom shop can do artwork like this on a custom build?

[​IMG]

15. metal4life71

especially with this on the back of the guitar

[​IMG]

16. metal4life71

Or the Four Horseman theme? Now that would be total badass cool factor!

[​IMG]

17. KnightBrolaire

get them to use the albrecht durer woodcuts as reference, those are the og horseman depictions

metal4life71 likes this.
  18. metal4life71

yeah that would be awesome or the anime themed one is what I am thinking for a custom ESP build. ESP is Japan so anime is right up their alley and would not offend their master luthiers as it has nothing to do with NAZIs :)

19. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Would they put on someone else's artwork without paying to license it from Boris Vallejo?

20. narad

After all this discussion I want to see a bill of sale when this ESP anime order actually goes in. Otherwise this is just another lefty Juggernaut thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.