ESP Custom Shop Japan - How Do I Order

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Big boss is ESP's own store so yes, you can order them there. They are insanely expensive though, even for a base model with just a different coat of paint.

Well actually that's the only thing that's not crazy. You can do a special color with a pretty reasonable up charge. If you want to just get no inlays or anything that deviates in an actual spec from an existing model, tack on $2k just to get talking.

MatiasTolkki

Burn In Agony
Reaction score
Well actually that's the only thing that's not crazy. You can do a special color with a pretty reasonable up charge. If you want to just get no inlays or anything that deviates in an actual spec from an existing model, tack on $2k just to get talking.

I went to the big Boss here and asked about a custom guitar and the START price was like 750,000 for a BASIC M-II with just a different paint job.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
That's about 6K€ which seems on par for modern ESP CS stuff. I suppose if it's a "special" paint it could go into these prices easily (flaky shiny stuff etc)

narad

Reaction score
I went to the big Boss here and asked about a custom guitar and the START price was like 750,000 for a BASIC M-II with just a different paint job.

Yes, you have to ask in the right way. Like say youre starting with a 2019 original series and want a different color. Should be like an extra $300 for most finishes.

BornToLooze

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I'm glad I'm not picky. I got a guitar that was build by the head of operations at the ESP custom shop for a fraction of that.

Also, I know an Eclipse is a little different, but this is one of the best feeling neck joints I've ever had.

3fXf0el.jpg

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Yes, you have to ask in the right way. Like say youre starting with a 2019 original series and want a different color. Should be like an extra $300 for most finishes.

Yeah even on the ESP Japan website it says you can change the colour for about $200.

Left handed: 20,000yen up charge
Parts color change: 10,000yen up charge (CR, GO, BLK only)
Body color change: 20,000yen

decoy205

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bumping this thread as I am gassing for an M-II
If you place an order with a dealer do you have a choice between the US shop or the Japan shop?

Do you pay the entire quote up front? I saw Feral edges thread with his awesome horizon which took just over a year. Is that still the type of wait time?

Honestly I just want an M-2 in a different color then what’s usually for sale.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you place an order with a dealer do you have a choice between the US shop or the Japan shop?

Yes. They run independently. Let the dealer know if you want an "ESP USA" or a "Japanese Custom".

Do you pay the entire quote up front?

I was told 20% by my dealer back in late 2018.

I saw Feral edges thread with his awesome horizon which took just over a year. Is that still the type of wait time?

I was told 18 to 20 months, around November of 2018.

Totally not worth it. You're going to be paying about $1k more and waiting at least a year just for changing the color on an existing model, if you want a Japanese CS.

The ESP USA stuff is a bit better in that regard.

narad

Reaction score

The Japanese shops will do that for cheap if the model is currently in production as an original series and you don't want any other changes to the spec besides maybe what pickups are in there. It might be tricky to get an EU dealer to understand the nuance, but basically you don't want full custom shop, but a custom spec order on a "production" line model, made in the custom shop.

I mean, by cheap that's still probably like a $4k order, but the unique aspect of it will be a small upcharge.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Yes. They run independently. Let the dealer know if you want an "ESP USA" or a "Japanese Custom".

I was told 20% by my dealer back in late 2018.

I was told 18 to 20 months, around November of 2018.

Totally not worth it. You're going to be paying about $1k more and waiting at least a year just for changing the color on an existing model, if you want a Japanese CS.

The ESP USA stuff is a bit better in that regard.

You can change the colour for $200. It says so on the ESP website.

And assuming the colour is the only change, then I don’t believe the wait time is a year. But, I could be wrong.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You can change the colour for $200. It says so on the ESP website.

And assuming the colour is the only change, then I don’t believe the wait time is a year. But, I could be wrong.

Weird, I was told changing the color on a Stef 8 was going to raise the price considerably. Is it'll different because it was an artist model?

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Weird, I was told changing the color on a Stef 8 was going to raise the price considerably. Is it'll different because it was an artist model?

I don’t think so. Sounds like just wrong information to me.

When I was in Japan, they had a number of Original Series models in, what they called, “Custom Colour” that were basically the same price as regular models. I’ll see if I can find a picture.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score

Custom Snapper in Inca Silver that was $300 more than a regular Snapper. (420K vs 390K)

The Snapper in question was actually a full custom (technically) since they also changed the pickups and bridge. Was/Is easily one of my favorite customs ever. Simple and clean.

https://mobile.twitter.com/esp_museum/status/991590889637068801

Last edited:

decoy205

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’m in NJ so I would probably go with Axe Palace since by all accounts they seem great to deal with.

There is a chance I’d find an M-II in either fire Rust metallic, or silver but I doubt it. I’d maybe want to a quilt top with a cool color but I’d imagine the upcharge for that is nuts. I know it may not be worth it which is why I’m educating myself.

soul_lip_mike

Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to order something from the USA shopl ike an MII-FR but with the pointy headstock instead of the ugly round one?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 1.20.04 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-06 at 1.20.04 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 30

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I'm in the process of possibly ordering a Stef B-8 in a custom color and was told a reasonable price of $200 or so.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Thanks all. I’m in NJ so I would probably go with Axe Palace since by all accounts they seem great to deal with.

There is a chance I’d find an M-II in either fire Rust metallic, or silver but I doubt it. I’d maybe want to a quilt top with a cool color but I’d imagine the upcharge for that is nuts. I know it may not be worth it which is why I’m educating myself.

Depends on what you consider nuts I guess. If you have any specific questions about the process, I've ordered two full customs in the past (my first one came like a month after Feral?). That being said, I think everything you'd want to know will be revealed in the quote.