ESP Custom Club!

Flamedmaple

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just what factory it was made in. My first custom has a 2, the second one has a 1. Seems most are made in the Tokyo factory. I've seen exhibitions with 1's and 2's. My question was simply out of curiosity.
Oh yes. I've always thought that the "1 factory" is specialized in handling orders that are beyond the ordinary in some way, with custom body shapes, inlays, graphics, and whatnot. And that the "2 factory" mostly handles original series and slight custom variations of those guitars. But since the exhibiton series probably are the most labour intensive guitars that ESP builds, with art-like custom works and insane inlays, often end with 2, i don't really get what's the difference between those factories. Both seem to have the same capacity but only one is labeled "custom shop"...

I'm not sure but supposedly the numbering system (that they began in 2016) represents the following:

1 = ESP Custom Shop
2 = ESP Tokyo Factory
3 = ESP Standard Factory
Yeah. However regarding E-II guitars, from the standard factory, i've seen them end with all kinds of numbers, including 1's and 2's. The custom guitars do however seem to be strict on the numbering with no mix ups.

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score

Mine ends with a 4 and follow the old letter serial, S for Sado (it's a bolt on) and then numbers ending by 4. I bought it new but there's a possibility it was made before 2016. (Bought it at winter sales in France with a monstrous rebate in January 2017. For them to sell it for 1999 € there's a good chance it sat in their inventory for some time)
Remember that AFAIK there isn't one custom shop but at least two. (Not counting CH who doesn't qualify as custom shop to me)

AkiraSpectrum

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh yes. I've always thought that the "1 factory" is specialized in handling orders that are beyond the ordinary in some way, with custom body shapes, inlays, graphics, and whatnot. And that the "2 factory" mostly handles original series and slight custom variations of those guitars. But since the exhibiton series probably are the most labour intensive guitars that ESP builds, with art-like custom works and insane inlays, often end with 2, i don't really get what's the difference between those factories. Both seem to have the same capacity but only one is labeled "custom shop"...

Yeah. However regarding E-II guitars, from the standard factory, i've seen them end with all kinds of numbers, including 1's and 2's. The custom guitars do however seem to be strict on the numbering with no mix ups.

Hmm, sounds like those E-II's were pre-2016 models. In 2016 the serial number system changed dramatically.

So pre-2016 (2000-2015) the very last digit (last two actually) would be the number off the line that day (01-99). 2016+ the last digit is the place of manufacture (thus, 1, 2, or 3).

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Mine ends with a 4 and follow the old letter serial, S for Sado (it's a bolt on) and then numbers ending by 4. I bought it new but there's a possibility it was made before 2016. (Bought it at winter sales in France with a monstrous rebate in January 2017. For them to sell it for 1999 € there's a good chance it sat in their inventory for some time)
Remember that AFAIK there isn't one custom shop but at least two. (Not counting CH who doesn't qualify as custom shop to me)

I was only inquiring about their post-2015 customs. And there's only one custom shop.

Womb raider

Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore
Reaction score
Always wanted a Horizon I, so cross this off the guitar bucket list.

64293651_174756146867927_7211834100481061448_n.jpg

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Answer is always Japan LOL

Guess it depends what you’re looking for. I kept my USA because I preferred it to the CS models I had. I prefer what the USA line is doing compared to the Original offerings right now. I’d only go Japan CS if I was getting a true custom build at this point.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
Guess it depends what you’re looking for. I kept my USA because I preferred it to the CS models I had. I prefer what the USA line is doing compared to the Original offerings right now. I’d only go Japan CS if I was getting a true custom build at this point.

I like the paint jobs on the USA stuff. But, you can change the color on the Original series models for $200 i think? I’m not sure how going through a dealer would affect that. I would imagine it’d be less?

So, assuming you like an Original model better, you could do something similar as USA.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I like the paint jobs on the USA stuff. But, you can change the color on the Original series models for $200 i think? I’m not sure how going through a dealer would affect that. I would imagine it’d be less?

So, assuming you like an Original model better, you could do something similar as USA.

I have heard that before. There isn’t a lot in the original lineup I would want though. I’ve been leaning more towards bolt-on necks lately anyway. So for a new Japanese made model, I’d still be going full Custom Shop. A bolt on XJ in Sonic Blue with reversed Vintage in-line headstock, maple fretboard. Was actually reasonable when I got a quote for one.

Womb raider

Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore
Reaction score
I love USAs for the simple fact that you get some of the best bang for your buck in terms of build quality, a huge variety of different models/options and if you are going the semi-custom route, not a huge wait time like Japan CS (at least if you're US based).
Now that said, they are about 90% there in terms of stuff I've handled from the Japan CS/Original. This is my opinion. I base this off of things like fret work, wiring, paint, super tight grain ebony on fretboards, and small details like luminlays that are coming standard from the CS/Original series now. This is not to say anything from the USA shop is lacking in any of those areas because they aren't, it's just that the Japanese shop has set the bar so high in terms of quality, it's hard to find an equal.

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
SD pickups, tom bridge black hardware.. pretty run of the mill off the shelf specs. Talked with and spongebrick and he's doing some paint that isn't available on the menu as of yet.

It's the Horizon-II NT blade stock version, correct?

Ikke

A Dream Cartographer
Reaction score
I have heard that before. There isn’t a lot in the original lineup I would want though. I’ve been leaning more towards bolt-on necks lately anyway. So for a new Japanese made model, I’d still be going full Custom Shop. A bolt on XJ in Sonic Blue with reversed Vintage in-line headstock, maple fretboard. Was actually reasonable when I got a quote for one.

Oh okke. I don't think you have to get any of the production colors. For example, someone (in Japan) got this Horizon-PT in this green colour, which is not a production colour. And, while I was in Japan at the ESP Guitar Workshop, I saw a Horizon-CTM with a Black and Blue quilt top; one of the most beautiful Horizons I've ever seen. I took so many pictures of it. And it was no more expensive than the production Faded Blue Sky Horizon next to it.

So, as far as colours go, ESP Japan may still be more flexible than USA. But, of course, their base guitar prices are higher.

1028160038_59f42b1630ccd.jpg

Latest posts