Ernie Ball Prodigy Guitar Picks - ACTUAL Photos

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
I was pretty excited when I saw the new Ernie Ball Prodigy picks announced at NAMM. Wow! Those suckers look SHARP! Exactly the kind of uber-sharp guitar pick I've been searching for. At $10 for a 6-pack, they're expensive, but not nearly as expensive as some of the sharp-tipped boutique picks out there.

Well, today my 6-pack of Prodigy picks arrived and... ugh... nothing like the product photos. Beveled edges, yes. Sharp? No--not even close to what they depict in their marketing materials.

So, for any of you who have been wondering about these gloriously sharp-looking picks, here ya go. On the left is their marketing photo. On the right is an actual pick from the 6-pack I received today.

40369177355_8b9efd4f13_o.jpg

narad

Progressive metal and politics
Reaction score
Worn down bouncing around in the box? :D

Thanks for the heads-up -- good to know. Tweet that photo at them and let them try to make it up to you (provide Sterling isn't behind that account).

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Worn down bouncing around in the box? :D

Thanks for the heads-up -- good to know. Tweet that photo at them and let them try to make it up to you (provide Sterling isn't behind that account).

Heh, I did that (and sent an email to their customer service) before I even posted here on the forums.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
Time to bust out the sandpaper!!

Totally. I'm going to hit them with an emory board and see if I can put a proper sharp tip on them. It'll only last a couple hours, but I'm okay with that.

Doesn't look much, if any, sharper than a Jazz III XL :shrug:

Check out the Tortex Sharp picks :yesway:

I actually used Tortex Sharps for years, but I prefer the more teardrop-shape of a Jazz III XL. Jazz III's are sharper than these Prodigies, by the way. So are the Petrucci picks. That's what kills me about these--the Prodigies are marketed as being so sharp they look like weapons, yet every other "sharp" pick I've used over the years has been sharper than these.

I checked all 6 picks in the pack. They're all exactly the same.

Avedas

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
There's no way that's a real photograph from them lol

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
no way those picks stay sharp for more then 5 minutes even if they came out looking like the marketing photo.

my one winspear I use has had the same sharp tip for almost a year now.

sometimes expensive things are worth it.

Good to know. I've been curious about Winspear, so maybe I'll give 'em a try.

Webmaestro

Ibanez Fanatic
Reaction score
http://www.daddario.com/pwDuralinPrecision.Page?sid=88396b67-dbca-4927-a134-b11fbe237657

My vote is for Winspear Picks or Purple Plectrums though if you can afford them.
UHMWPE is not sharp, choose a different material. I love the PEEK and Torlon materials from Purple Plectrums. BHL Picks may also be an option but I've never tried them so...

Now, are those D'Addario Duralin picks REALLY as sharp as they seem in the product photos, or is that just more trickery a le Ernie Ball?

Oh, and, I remember now: I actually did try Winspear picks about 3-4 years ago. I ordered two and didn't like them because the wedge-shape caused the pick to keep slipping backwards (toward the palm of my hand) while I was playing. If it had just been flat, it would've been perfect. Fatal flaw (for me).

Last edited:

diagrammatiks

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Now, are those D'Addario Duralin picks REALLY as sharp as they seem in the product photos, or is that just more trickery a le Ernie Ball?

Oh, and, I remember now: I actually did try Winspear picks about 3-4 years ago. I ordered two and didn't like them because the wedge-shape caused the pick to keep slipping backwards (toward the palm of my hand) while I was playing. If it had just been flat, it would've been perfect. Fatal flaw (for me).

they make flat ones. you just have to specify when you order

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Those Duralin picks are not that sharp as they seem but they are sharper than the Jazz XLs, Tortex TIIIs / T3s and whatnot. They wear like Delrin/Tortex does though so it's not long lived. That's why I suggested the higher end picks. Nothing generic like the Dunlops, Ernie Balls, or Duralins are going to have material that keeps a lasting tip. Not yet at least.

Almost every single one of my Winspear picks are flat. I ordered them that way either through option selection on the website when available or by custom order through email to Tom Winspear.

BrutalRob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Speaking of winspear pics...same tip for almost a year?!
I was always curious about them but could not imagine they would last much longer than say tortex jazz or the like to justify their price.

But if that is true, i should order some very soon.

KnightBrolaire

mass cultivator
Reaction score
Speaking of winspear pics...same tip for almost a year?!
I was always curious about them but could not imagine they would last much longer than say tortex jazz or the like to justify their price.

But if that is true, i should order some very soon.
UHMPWE is one of the hardest wearing plastics out there. winspear and bhl both regularly use UHMPWE. The only other material i've found that's near UHMPWE's durability is whatever blue chip uses.