ERGs and Evertune players..what's the lowest tuning you've achieved with the lightest string gauge?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by luca9583, Apr 6, 2021.

1. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

Hi folks

I was thinking about how the Evertune can keep a string from ringing sharp if hit too hard, so i was wondering if any ERG players here that also have an Evertune have been able to tune super low on a specific scale length but with relatively lighter strings.

.080 is the thickest string gauge the Evertune (for guitar, not bass) can handle so this would be interesting on longer scale lengths around 30".

Any thoughts? Not sure if a thread has already been made on this.

soldierkahn likes this.
  2. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Following, also interested as this is one of the biggest reasons I'm considering an Evertune

Buster Odeholm uses a 75 down to E on 28 inch scale Evertune guitar regularly, but he's used lighter gauges before and has also tuned lower before (mostly just pitch shifts now though)

3. VGK17

VGK17 SS.org Regular

How low are you looking to tune? I have an 8 string coming in the next week or so with an Evertune on it. It's 28" scale, lowest string is a .074 to E. I'll let you know how it feels after I get it. I have a 6 string 24.75" scale I use a .060 for C and it's pretty tight, the Evertune does feel less floppy on lower tunings for me.

Zhysick likes this.
  4. migstopheles

migstopheles SS.org Regular

I have a Jericho Fusion Evertune Baritone, a 6 string 27", I use it for drop G with a 52 set which is hilariously light gauge by most standards and it honestly sounds great all things considered. I don't love the guitar itself, but the Evertune really does let you get away with such light strings on the low end, they just don't detune. I play fairly lightly though so YMMV

5. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

Well, i'm thinking of 30" scale which is great for C#0 and just about passable (ie not just for the open string but also for the fretted notes to sound good) for B0, but using super light strings. Annoyingly there aren't any 30" instruments around that come stock with an Evertune to try this out. I've got a headless instrument that goes up to 34" scale (so Evertune isn't possible) and a 30" scale that i don't won't to modify.

If you get a chance, i'd be really curious to hear how low an .080 can be tuned on your 28" scale with the Evertune.

Hat that is hilariously light and i bet it gives fantastic bite and attack. How do the fretted notes sound? Do you get any buzz?

6. asopala

asopala SS.org Regular

Periphery's song "Hell Below" did exactly this. I could be wrong, but I think they used a .068 to go down to C#1 because that's the string that was on it (for G#, at 25.5in scale). It did sound a bit floppy to my ears though, but it stabilized the pitch.

7. BillCosby

BillCosby SS.org Regular

I've used a .056 for Bb and drop Ab on a 25.5" MH1007ET. And this was with their stock tension springs, I think they make ones for lighter and heavier tension, too.

8. Thomas Mims

Thomas Mims SS.org Regular

I’ll trade my new Solar A1.7C for a Km7, I’m not a fan of the bridge although it’s awesome for leads

9. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

go to Evertune, check the .lbs range of the saddle (and the low tension replacement saddles) and go to a string tension calculator, put your scale lenght and tunning and check how thin can you go wiht the strings

10. luca9583

luca9583 SS.org Regular

Thanks yep https://www.evertune.com/resources/string_tension_gauge_calculator.php
    is a useful tool.

I'm curious to hear how fretted notes actually sound when you've got say, an .080 tuned to B0 at 30" scale, which seems to be 9.71 pounds of tension. With the custom low tension saddle module the lowest tension allowed is 8 pounds, so if you increase scale length beyond 30", you can go pretty damn low with pretty light strings.

It's a very cool concept that definitely solves a typical F#/E1 tuning at shorter scale lengths like 27" which always tends to ring sharp unless super heavy strings are used.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2021
  11. Un1corn

Un1corn Instant Djent Machine

I use multiscale guitars and I really wish I have evertune.
    I'm currently using 26.5'-28' 8 string tuned to drop D with 74.

Wildebeest likes this.
  12. Wildebeest

Wildebeest SS.org Regular

I'm in a similar boat here. I really like tuning low to D too, but I really prefer the smaller scale lengths for the higher strings. I've been watching a lot of low tuned videos lately, and the evertune really seems to be a gamechanger when it comes to keeping everything sounding nice, tight and in tune.

Un1corn likes this.