EQ Overkill???

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by crg123, Dec 12, 2012.

1. crg123

crg123 SS.orgLocalArchitect

Ok somewhat of a silly question,

I was thinking about buying a 32-band EQ for my 8 string with Lace Death bar/Xbar combo in it. What I love about these pickups are they have an extremely large tonal range that can be used to mold a lot of interesting tones, but without the EQ they sound extremely flat though. I figure since I'm tuning down to D#1 (around 39 hz I think?) a standard GE-7 (I have two of them >.<) which only has 6 bands (100,200,400,800,1.6k,3.2k,6.4k) isn't really the ideal EQ choice. I thought it might be interesting to have control over all those inbetween frequencies and the lower register.

Would having a 20hz-20khz 32 band EQ be too much for just a guitar? Anyone have any experience with this?

Any help is appreciated!

Edit:
    This might be better suited for the gear section but I figured I might receive some better opinions from the ERG section (plus its basically my second home :lol:)

Edit 2: Anyway to remove 2 of those "?" marks I feel like a noob...

2. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

It would be easy to overdo things with a 32 band. They are really nice for ringing out a PA system for feedback at specific frequencies, but honestly it would be overkill and you are likely to run into phase issues or be easily pushed into overdoing things.

I would shoot for a 10 band graphic, or even better, two parametrics with sweepable bands and fine tuning of the bandwidth.

To be honest though I think you should be able to do everything with two GE-7s like you have. You don't really need to play around in the low end so much and the bandwidths are likely pretty wide anyway.

3. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

You could try using a EQ that's designed for bass, since those will be the frequencies you'll be taking up. IMO, 8 stringers should be looking at bass equipment, instead of standard guitar equipment.

4. crg123

Is the MXR 10 band any good? I acutally never looked at the frequency range on that. I think I remembering hearing that its pretty noisy (not that it matters cause I have two noise gates w/ my keeley compressor +Maxon 808 (DONT JUDGE ME lol). Should I keep one GE-7 and buy the MXR? right now I have a pre and a post EQ.

A parametric EQ would be amazing but i don't know where to even start with those (like whats good/ bad about a particular model) Any recommendations, keep in mind I'm supposed to be on a budget haha.

5. WaffleTheEpic

WaffleTheEpic Banned

Look up youtube reviews for it. I'd say maybe try a bass EQ in conjunction with one of the normal range EQs you have, but I'm not sure that'd work out too well, honestly. I dunno, you could try it. Otherwise, that seems like too much.

6. Bloodbath Salt

Bloodbath Salt Title-less

If you try that. I'd put the guitar EQ > bass EQ and use a noise gate/suppressor in conjunction with the 2. Although a parametric EQ is still probably your best bet.

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

All of the Eleven Rack presets which work well with an 8 string use 2 parametric EQ's in the signal chain. I realize the Eleven Rack is software and you are looking at hardware, but the point is 2 parametric EQ's can be extremely powerful when shaping your tone.

8. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

I made a preset with 6 x 2 band parametric EQ on my Zoom Multistomp. 12 band parametric is overkill, 4 band will do.

With a graphic eq, I'd buy a 32 band without hesitation. You don't have to use all the sliders but when you need any frequency it will be at your disposal.

9. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

I don't know why people are talking you down from using a 32 band EQ. If I had the money I'd probably grab a couple of them, one pre, one post for my rig. A 32 band gives you more shaping options. And yes, it would be easy to overdo something and give yourself a really odd sound with missing or over-emphasized frequencies in narrow ranges, but that's a matter of self control and not an equipment failing.

That said, I do use parametric EQs in my recording software on 8 string tracks to filter out just specific frequencies. They offer some very fine-grained control when you need just *THAT* frequency range changed.

10. crg123

So i just thought of something. If I buy the MXR 10 band that would be interesting because none of the frequency controls are the same.

MXR: 31.25, 62.5,125,250,500,1k,2k,4k,8k,16k
    Ge-7: 100, 200, 400, 800, 1.6k, 3.2k, 6.4k

That would mean with both of them together I would pretty much have a 17 band eq haha. I think I'll go for it especially because of the 31.25 and 62.5 (#'s seem random though) which should help me mess with the low end clarity of the low D#.

11. RGA8

RGA8 SS.org Regular

I bought a MXR M108 two days ago and it's very handy. I think they did a good job choosing the frequencies for that pedal. You should try one out.

12. oniduder

oniduder HONKEY DONKEY

i've had this discussion before with a friend of mine, long story short, you should be able to get away with a tone knob and a volume knob on your amp and whatever shit you have on your guitar

this is of course coming from a douche who owns three fucking amps that are all designed to do wacko shit and obviously have more than a tone knob blablabla, but yeah overkill with the 32 band eq shite, very unnecessary

now it's someone's turn to tell me i'm wrong and stupid, :lol:

but yeah i thought about getting shit like this for my shit, and i keep ending up selling every eq i ever buy, i actually go crazy, just a lil bit don't worry, with them all the endless possibilities and will end up sitting for hours for that "perfect" tone, then i realize it's all shit :wallbash:

13. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

I agree on bass eq. The 32-graphical eq will either make your sound spikey, or you will use it in a way that you form "waves" with the single faders. Which would mean that you could just as well have an eq with only 5 faders.

I personally do not use extra EQ, because you can get the same effect from a different ratio of gain and amp eq. Actually, by changing the ratio of gain/eq on amp wisely you can get a lot of sounds.

14. Winspear

Winspear Tom Winspear

Worded it much better. This is exactly what I was trying to say :lol: