Epic NGD: ESP Custom Shop Horizon!!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by feraledge, May 1, 2016.

1. Hachetjoel

Hachetjoel Ibanez whore Contributor

Thought you were going for a custom set? The sentient neck is really meh in my opinion.

2. 13la13la

13la13la Amateur Idiot Contributor

Careful now that is how dreams are born :p

3. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Nah, I just got the custom bridge. Probably should've splurged a bit more on it and just spent the extra $50 to get a matching neck, but I didn't.
    I think the Sentient is solid. It mixes well with the Nazgul which is the driving force of the bridge PUP. I was thinking about a 59 or Jazz, but, to be totally vain, the nickel vs black nickel pole pieces would have bothered me.
    Sentient splits well too. But, yeah, should have just probably dropped some extra cash, but I think I can live with it.
    I will say that my first round with the Sentient wasn't nearly as impressive as later ones. I've had it in three guitars now I think??

4. feraledge

I'm not the one who should be careful really. I'd probably do this for other people.

5. 13la13la

13la13la Amateur Idiot Contributor

My heart would approve, my bankaccount.. not so much..

6. feraledge

I was going to pour out some kombucha for all the guitars I've sold since this build was started, but instead I'll just post up pics of some of the Horizons since they're all such amazing guitars.
    [​IMG]
    Top to bottom: E-II FR7, LTD BS7, ESP SS Horizon FR2, LTD Elite Horizon III FR
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And I sold this years ago, but my all time favorite ESP Horizon finishes: 1) Flamed Black Fog (yes, I win) 2) Flamed Faded denim and 3) Quilted DBSB:
    [​IMG]

I need to get some more pics of the Custom, but it rained pretty much the whole last week...

7. feraledge

^ Horizon fun fact, that DBSB NT-II is the only mahogany one in the bunch. All alder or ash otherwise.

8. feraledge

And just because I feel bad that you all don't get to see this everyday...
    [​IMG]
    So hot. Every time...

We're a small, but tight family, will be rounded out superbly when the Sully 624T is ready in a couple months.
    [​IMG]

9. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

Thanks for the advice man, I'll keep my eyes peeled, rn the cheapest one I see is for about a grand, which is too much for my college student blood, the only reason I've been able to afford the other ltd's has been because I've been able to trade up my other guitars for them, so rn I think ltd's will have to do. As soon as I get a well paying job out of college though, watch out :cool: btw, thanks again for the pics :wallbash:

10. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

I have to agree with feral. I got an old 90s M-II for a steal and am doing some work to it. Nothing serious just cleaning, new pickups and pickguard, replacing rusty screws with pretty new black ones. I can definitely say it plays on par with the custom shop KH4 I used to have. The best part is it was cheaper than a lot of LTDs and I won't go on a shooting spree if it gets a nick or dent.

11. tylerpond05

tylerpond05 Mormon Metalhead

Looks freaking killer!!

12. RUSH_Of_Excitement

RUSH_Of_Excitement SS.org Regular

You all need to let me in in these dope deals :cool:

13. protest

protest SS.org Regular

[​IMG]

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Man, you've got some seriously great taste :yesway: the Charvel fits in surprisingly well with the rest, too!

15. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Yeah, the mint green body and unfinished headstock on the Charvel looks nice between the two darker ESP's.

16. Aso

Aso Single Hum Zealot Contributor

You can do a floor custom on a 59 or a Jazz and have the pole pieces swapped out to black nickle for almost no difference. I ordered a 59 with no logo and black pole pieces to go with a el diablo in my rhodes pro. The cost for the 59 as a floor custom was the same as a normal 59.

Here's more info on the floor customs
    http://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/seymour-duncan-shop-floor-custom-options

17. MattThePenguin

MattThePenguin SS.org Regular

So because the volume knob is recessed, it doesn't get in the way at all? That seems like it would bother the hell out of me, but it looks recessed just enough to where you only hit it intentionally.

18. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

I've had guitars like that before. It's comfortable, and yeah, you only hit it of you want to. Because if you look at it from the side of the guitar, it's recessed on one side more than the other because of the carved top. So you can still get a good grip on it.

19. feraledge

It's only recessed into the archtop, so if the top was flat to the edge, that's where it would sit. I have never been bothered by having a volume knob in that location, but I know it drives some people absolutely nuts. I just play with my wrist and also have OCD about checking the volume is on 10 with my pinky while playing, so I don't even really notice it unless it gets pointed out, but I've never hit it unintentionally either...
    TL;DR, if that location bothers you, I'm not sure the arch top will help a lot. But you can get the option with the custom shop to move it back further as well.

20. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

That thing is so hot. I see you have been expanding your Horizons... HAHAHAHA I kill myself sometimes! I think it would look badass with a reverse pointy inline but then I'm a guy who would put a reverse pointy inline on a Viper or Eclipse or Mystique or anything really.