Epic NGD: ESP Custom Shop Horizon!!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by feraledge, May 1, 2016.

1. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

13 months in the making, a bunch of pics first.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. feraledge

Zado and Kyle Jordan like this.
  3. Humbuck

Humbuck Can't stop, won't stop

Man, do they turn out a nice electric or what?! Looks flawless. Nicer than most of the signature models!

Happy long awaited ngd dude.

4. Womb raider

Womb raider Drink from the goblet, the goblet of gore

Man that's awesome. A guitar that turned out like that, can't be mad about the long wait time. GAS pedal is to the floor after looking through your posts. Congrats!

5. feraledge

First off, huge shout out to Tim at 6-string.com. He's been awesome all around and this is no exception. Awesome to deal with always!
    Now, the specs:
    • Maple neck through
    • Maple fretboard
    • Oiled neck and fretboard
    • Alder body
    • Amazingly flamed maple top
    • Black binding
    • Original Floyd Rose
    • 25.5" scale
    • 305mm radius
    • XJ frets
    • Extra thin U neck profile
    • Dimarzio Air Norton neck
    • Dimarzio D'Activator bridge
    • Push/pull coil split
    • Black Fog finish

So this is my dream guitar. I never would have thought it was doable, but when I was peaked out with 14 guitars, I just said, "why not just ask?" Which is one of those things that can end in guitars, or in my case, one guitar to rule them all (and, ya know, some friends).
    On April 10, 2015, I put down my deposit. On April 30, 2016, I have my dream guitar in my hands.
    In between, NOTHING! I knew ESP's custom shop was silent, but the first response I got was when Tim at 6-string finally got word that the guitar was in transit (sent, by ship, to LA from Japan). The first I saw it was when a fine forum poster saw three pics on the ESP Instagram feed and my mind was blown. They absolutely nailed it.
    Holding it, it is perfect. It's everything I wanted and they just got it dead on. At 7.4 lbs, it's a little lighter than some other Horizons I have owned, but the balance is perfect and it's super resonant and acoustically the best guitar I've ever played.
    I'm still at a loss of words. But I'll try and sum some of it up:
    Ever since a friend of mine and former ESP endorsee handed me his ESP Standard Series Horizon NT-II (DBSB) I saw that this guitar was a work of art and absolutely my favorite guitar. Since then, I have owned a number of them from a top notch 96 Horizon (bolt on, ash body) FR to an 2015 E-II Horizon FR2. This Custom is just all of that and some more.
    The finish on this is just stunning. The flame is excellent. It's super tight and some 3D action going on with it, but bad lighting, great lighting, natural lighting, whatever, it looks great.
    The neck is absolutely perfect. I went with the ESP extra thin U and oiled finish, really it's like a dead on thin C. Imagine a Charvel neck that's a bit thinner. Dead on what I was looking for. Plays flawlessly.
    The fret work is probably the best I've ever seen. Ends are almost totally rounded.

What's best about this guitar is that it's way more than I would have ever expected to spend on a guitar, but to me it's worth it. Would anyone else see it that way? Maybe, but it's the personalized elements that make this so over the top for me. To me, it's absolutely worth it. I thought about the specs for years and eventually pulled the trigger with no regrets.
    Better than being worth it though is the fact that it's just built to be played. I was worried that I'd just see it as an expensive guitar and almost be timid around it. I've seen guitars like that, ones that were too fine to even risk touching, but this is impossible not to play and harder to put down. I wouldn't risk playing shows with it or taking it on tour, but I haven't been sitting around thinking about how expensive it is.
    Also, just to note, I've been asked not to publicize the price, so I'm not going to post it. Sorry, but dealers have their reasoning. I will say that if you're thinking about getting an Original Series ESP, it's worth checking on a custom. Pricing is fairly comparable.

The only thing that I've thought twice about is my pickup choices. I was feeling the D'Activator more and it doesn't fit as well as I would have liked. I kind of accepted that months ago, but it's true. The coil tap doesn't suit it well and mixed with the Air Norton neck, it's almost twangy to characteristic telecaster levels.
    But I've corrected that and ordered a custom shop Seymour Duncan bridge that I requested be mixed to the wood combination that has the feel of the Nazgul, the articulation of the Black Winter and some of the low end growl of a JB. I think that could mix well with either a Sentient, 59 or Jazz neck.
    So I should have that in around a month or a little more.
    In the meantime, I will do some clips with the current set up, it's usable, but it doesn't bring out the voicing of the guitar like it should. A guitar of this quality deserves a custom pickup.

All in all. Just awesome. Can't stop going on about it!

6. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Phenomenal instrument, so beautiful. :bowdown:

CONGRATS! Can't wait for sound clips, especially when the SD Custom Shop arrives.

7. feraledge

So the big question I've gotten a lot, one I asked a bunch myself: how is the process of getting an ESP Custom?
    Simple and difficult at the same time.
    The ESP site says custom time is 6-8 months. My dealer was quoted 8-10. Took just a hair under 13 months. Now, I went into this thinking 2 years, so less than a year was awesome to hear. I heard stories about ESP being super tight lipped and the long waits, but I took everything as a good sign.
    Here's the deal: don't believe anything you hear. It's false hope.
    ESP has been building amazing and immaculate guitars for decades. Way before there were internet driven luthiers with 3 year waits or 5 year deliveries, ESP was building guitars and delivering them. They aren't going to change.
    If you want a custom ESP. Get it, but you have to be able to trust the process. You aren't going to hear anything until it's here. But when you get it, it could be your dream guitar if you thought about it long and hard enough.
    I would NOT trust changing specs. I thought about it with the pickups early on, but decided I would just get the guitar and figure it out from there. I think that's a solid move, I have no idea what changing the order would have done or how long it could have bumped things back.
    If it comes up early, awesome. But don't expect it to.
    In the end though, I've got my dream guitar for life, the extra time is just me being impatient and wanting the precedent I get from working with an awesome luthier like Sully who updates awesomely and responds to every email. Would be awesome if ESP would do that, but they're not going to.
    You just have to trust them, but look at this guitar, it's worth it!

groverj3 and sezna like this.
  8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Man, this came out great! That top/flame is insane :yesway:

Congrats on the dream guitar!

9. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

HNGD man!
    Turned out way better than I expected.
    Really beautiful guitar.
    In the first pic I expected to read "Feraledge" on the headstock...then I read Horizon and was mildly disappointed :D

10. exo

exo SS.org Regular

That is absolutely beautiful. Looks department, it's almost EXACTLY what I'd order.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

That thing looks fantastic. I have been into maple fretboards since my first crummy stray knock-off with a maple neck. So glad everything came out great! Yeah pickups can be swapped, but that thing looks like it rips. I suspect you'll be to busy to post for a while.

12. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Glad to see that you finally got it, I've been following the build thread since you opened it! HNGD, this is probably the most beautiful horizon I've seen :)

13. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Congrats dude!!! Awesome guitar!!

14. RLG167

RLG167 SS.org Regular

Congrats, man! Been following since the beginning, can't wait to hear the finished product after the custom Duncan.

15. narad

narad Owned a Zune

Awesome guitar! I used to think ESP custom shop's wait times were horrendous, then somehow we got into these 2-3 year wait times with the current crop, and now 1 year sounds really attractive. Would love to put in a custom shop order to get the blue flame Kiko Loureiro sig I couldn't afford at the time...

16. Simic

Simic SS.org Regular

Kiko's sig still haunts me, coolest ESP IMO :D

17. Blytheryn

Blytheryn Musical Adam West

You know how to put order a fine guitar, that's for sure. I don't know exactly what I'd get from ESP if I were to get a custom, but this proves that if/when I do I will be blown away. Definitely a bucket list thing for most of us. I'm worried though that every other guitar I'd own would be put to shame in its everlasting glory though ;)

ESP>all

18. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

What a beauty! Congrats dude! :yesway:

19. CircuitalPlacidity

CircuitalPlacidity Carnivorous Jesus

20. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Dude that is seriously nice. Congrats man, don't sell this one!