Entry level studio monitors?

HaloHat

7 string Baritones
Reaction score
Seattle WA. & Richfield, UT. & Valencia, Spain
The Mackie CR3 looks like it has good reviews, does anybody know how it holds up to the AV42's?

http://www.musicradar.com/reviews/tech/mackie-cr3-622142

A friend just got a pair of the Mackie's 3" monitors [the green accents]. They paid $99 using their Amazon Prime acct. I think I've seen them for about $135 USD on-line retailers. They sounded pretty damn good for $99 and the louder the better the sound. With the pair, one speaker is the Active [powered] and the other is Passive powered by the Active with included wires. Everything needed to hook it up to a computer was included and they even had some ISO pads included [ok those were regular foam squares but its the thought that counts right lol]

Anyways, they sounded and looked great for 99 bux. And loud a fvk! We were at work so she took them out of the packing box [packed nicely] and we hooked them up to my pretty decent laptop. You could get the police knocking on your door if your in an apartment lol. We tried them in a 16' x 14' room with an open hallway at one end and it was deafening loud.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
A friend just got a pair of the Mackie's 3" monitors [the green accents]. They paid $99 using their Amazon Prime acct. I think I've seen them for about $135 USD on-line retailers. They sounded pretty damn good for $99 and the louder the better the sound. With the pair, one speaker is the Active [powered] and the other is Passive powered by the Active with included wires. Everything needed to hook it up to a computer was included and they even had some ISO pads included [ok those were regular foam squares but its the thought that counts right lol]

Anyways, they sounded and looked great for 99 bux. And loud a fvk! We were at work so she took them out of the packing box [packed nicely] and we hooked them up to my pretty decent laptop. You could get the police knocking on your door if your in an apartment lol. We tried them in a 16' x 14' room with an open hallway at one end and it was deafening loud.
This sounds promising, it seems like it would be both easier and cheaper if I grab the Mackies on Amazon instead of the M Audios in the store and having to carry them with me on the bus, since the Mackies seems like they're smaller and I don't need anything big. The Mackies ends up being 60 bucks cheaper than the M-Audios on Amazon.co.uk, even with the shipping included.

Descent

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
3" is just a touch too small IMO. M-Audio BX5 would be my first choice from the ones that I have heard. Possibly Eeris and Tannoy at this price range as well.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
So I just ordered the Mackie CR3 but I'm a bit confused on how I need to hook them up to my Scarlett Solo when they get here. According to Mackie they come with a 1/8 inch to stereo RCA cable to connect it directly to your computer output jack and a regular AUX cable. Can I just use a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter and connect the cable to the balanced TRS input on the Mackie and connect the stereo RCA cable to my Scarlett Solo or do I need to buy a dual RCA cable?

Edit: Scratch that, turns out I already have a dual 1/4 inch to dual RCA cable lying around at home. Pretty sure that's what I need, right?

Rawkmann

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
A few years ago everyone would have said KRK Rokits, are they bad now or something?

FEcorvus

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Here's another for maudio avs, they are bulky and I wouldn't leave them on overnight because they tend to get pretty hot, but for the price I can't say I've tried anything that sounds better