English language native speakers - difference among similar terms

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by chopeth, Dec 15, 2020.

1. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Hi.

A friend of mine is doing a thesis about male vocabulary and stuff and asked me what I think is the difference among masculinity, maleness, manliness, manhood...

He feels that masculinity and manliness are synonyms, but maleness includes the biological idea (as the word containes male). Manhood also seems a synonym of masculinity and manliness but I don't know if that's a bit more like Spanish "hombría" which tends more towards the "virility" meaning...

What do you think?

2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I would have said that masculine/masculinity are used in more formal terms, whereas manliness is typically used in a more informal even sarcastic way possibly even describing a caricature of "masculine".

Maleness, I would agree describes biological traits

Manhood, these days whilst it can be used to describe the adult phase of a male's life, in common English at least, typically just refers to a guy's d!ck!

bostjan and chopeth like this.
  3. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yes. I don't think I've ever heard manhood unless it was in reference to the member itself.

I've never heard "maleness," at all, though. Maybe it's a regional thing.

chopeth likes this.
  4. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I suppose you can examine the different suffixes "-ity", "-hood", and "-ness" to get more technical with definitions, but as the way "manhood" is more commonly used as a euphemism, idiomatic usage can sometimes be more meaningful.

chopeth likes this.
  5. Nicki

Nicki Twit

Masculinity is traits which are not physical. Mostly having to do typical personality traits associated with a man. Dominance, stubborness, stoicism, stupidity in some cases...

Maleness & manliness would be synonyms. Used to describe the physical traits of a man. Broad shoulders, strong jaw, size of the adam's apple...

Manhood would be a phase reached determined by age, typically reached between the ages of 18 to 22. Reinforced by the male's ability to be independent of his parents.

chopeth likes this.
  6. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

Also be aware of the differences between American ‘English’ and English.

Or as we say over here... there’s no such thing as ‘American English’. There’s English. And there are mistakes. ;)

chopeth likes this.