ENGL Savage 120 vs Invader 100 ii

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Knight Elijah, Feb 25, 2016.

1. Knight Elijah

Knight Elijah Active Member

Alright peeps so a few months back I went with the savage. Now I'm looking into getting an axe fx ii and wanted to use it in the fx loop of my savage and control the savage with the Fractal Audio MFC pedalboard. Problem is that you need this out of date midi converter and bull.... to use that, and now that I'm looking at the invader, I'm seeing a lot of pros to it compared to the Savage (like midi programmability).

Alright, so besides that, a seperate EQ for each channel, and apparently each channel is unique. The savages channels are all pretty much based on one voicing with more or less gain. Also there's the built in noise gate which is just kinda cool to have even if it isn't the best. Lastly the cool blue lights are chill.

Anyway I'm kinda miffed I didn't get the invader for a few hundred more, especially with the midi capability. Is it worth it to try to eventually sell my savage for one or should I just say screw the savage and go FRFR+AXEFXii? I have a feeling that argument of not sounding like an "amp in the room" is just because people aren't able to understand the unit enough to know to fool around with the cab perameters, like the Low/hi cut, and the Dephaser presets. Cliff seems to really have it figured out.

Alright h8ers I'll say it, I'm looking to jazz and I'm looking to dj0nt and if y0u can't handle that then I say gtf0-0-000-00

No regr0ts

Edit: I'm planning on getting an Axe Fx ii anyway. I'm preferably looking for people with good personal experience with using both the savage and the invader. Thanks.

2. Mklane

Mklane SS.org Regular

I use a Matrix poweramp and cabs with the axe. The Savage model is awesome, sold my Engl Blackmore after the Axe quantum update.

3. Knight Elijah

That is what I was considering. Widek's stuff is recorded using an Axe Fx and has some of the best tones I have ever heard. While I like the idea of owning the nice prestigious real tube savage and matching cab, honestly the hassle of setting it up could be some real BS sometimes on tour. I'm not touring anymore and let's face it, I'm not getting the full cranked sound at some in my room with a 120 watt amp (tinnitus is not fun).

I just hear people's complaints and sometimes am skeptical to sell my real deal however I do realize most of those people are either just stubborn old men who need to justify their thousands upon thousands of dollars worth of tube amps, or people who aren't technically inclined enough to utilize all the teeny tiny options the axe fx can give.

But still the question remains, Savage 120 vs Invader?

4. BenHughesDS

BenHughesDS Divine Solace

While I haven't played the real Savage, I have an Axe II and I do like the Savage sims, though I haven't made one work for me in a band context yet. I did, however, own the Invader 100 before the Axe, and I probably had it longer than any other amp I've ever owned.

If I compare the Savage SIMULATION to the Invader 100 head (1st version), I think the Savage sounds much more raw and aggressive, whereas the Invader is more refined and "polished." Each channel had its own distinct sound - I preferred channels 2 and 3 for rhythm and 4 for lead, and channel 1 was great for clean. Seems much more versatile in a live setting compared to looking at the control layout of the Savage.

Hate to say it as you'll not want to hear it, for the "jazz to dj0nt" versatility I think the Invader would suit you better.

That being said, the Axe already has the Savage sound, and I'm pretty sure there's a model in the Axe that would get the Invader sound. Get a good SS power amp and you have both (and a lot more!).

5. Knight Elijah

Yeah, I was afraid that was the case. I think in the future im gonna decide to get an invader to replace my savage, but right now I'm going to get the axe fx first. I guess the question is should I spend the money to try FRFR or Invader after I get it. I've heard a demo of the savage model in the axe fx and it's really accurate, really nice. I like the cleans from the invader a ton.

So many options, I wish I had gotten the invader when I could've. :wallbash:

6. sinnersmoon

sinnersmoon SS.org Regular

I have an Invader 100 and a Savage SE - different beasts.
    Invader has more low mids and fills the room better while Savage SE is tighter, rawer, with more hi mids it's more punchy and in-your-face.
    Invader has warmer cleans but Savage SE's is no slouch either.
    Invader's separate EQ for all channels is an advantage but with Savage SE I just set up my metal rhythm at the 4th channel then for leads I hit the smooth mode on, switch the presence and master to B and with a little help of my Timmy I'm good to go.

Difficult to say which one I prefer. I like both for different reasons.

7. Carvinkook

Carvinkook SS.org Regular

Ive owned both,and still have the Invader.. You're right.. the built in midi,ease of use and seperate eq's all played a factor. Besides to me, i just preferred the tones of the Invader..