ENGL E530 Preamp - Shred Demo

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Apr 21, 2019.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

About a month ago I did a demo with this preamp with a black metal track, and now here is another demo in a pretty different style :lol:

All guitars and bass are recorded through the ENGL E530 Preamp and I especially like it for the leads. I turned down the Hi-mid and cracked the lo-mid to make the lead parts stand out more, and I think it works well.

As with my previous demo I run the unit straight into my audio interface and then add poweramp simulation and cab IRs with Two Notes Wall of Sound - The poweramp makes a big difference.

Guitar is a Jackson Dinky DK7m sevenstring with Seymour Duncan Distortions. Bass is a Warwick Corvette DB RB.

It is my first time writing a song in this style - I have been doing the shred thing for a long time, but have never really written any songs as these days I am more into blackmetal. Never the less it is really fun to write stuff like this, starting with simple backing tracks and then trying to come up with melodic / shred ideas that is both fast, but more importantly, interesting to listen to. I dunno if I succeded, and I guess my shredsong writting abilities will improve in the future, but how am I doing so far?

Roadsterjosh and KailM like this.
  2. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Anyone? Is it that bad?

3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I will check it out in the morning. Wife and I are watching a movie at the moment.:cheers:

Sumsar likes this.
  4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

I think everyone gets burned out on YouTube spam. I’m not saying that’s what you are putting up, but that’s the knee jerk reaction. I think most see a YT link and exit.

You are a skilled player no doubt. I liked the second section and some of the third. The first section lacks a singing quality to me. It has a bit of a sweep-sweep-“feel” note-/repeat that doesn’t quite communicate anything. It’s a great step in the right direction though. Thanks for sharing.

Roadsterjosh, Sumsar and Joan Maal like this.
  5. Joan Maal

Joan Maal SS.org Regular

I agree point for point... At certain moments it sounds like a sequence of shred exercises. Well executed, thats true.

Thanks for sharing

Roadsterjosh and Sumsar like this.
  6. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah I understand what you mean, I remember some weeks ago people crushed a guy for not writing anything and just directing to a youtube video, and I too think it is rude when people just create an account and the only four post they have done are in the style of 'Hi, please give me views and subs, and please share with you mom and friends, thanks meatbags' with it not being indicated in the title that much of the content of the thread is a youtube video.
    I do think I am quite clear in the title that it is a youtube video when I write 'demo', but maybe we need forum rules that state that if you are mainly posting to share youtube content, then the title should include a "(youtube vid)" and then this thread should be: 'ENGL E530 Preamp - Shred Demo (Youtube vid)'.

On the other hand I also think it is okay for members to post youtube videos - I learned a lot about pickups, guitars and tone from this forum, so when sharing these videos it is also the results of me being on this forum, so in that sense I think it is perfectly alright to share - do you agree?

Regarding you comment about my playing: Thanks :) As stated I am by no means a master of writing in this style, so certain parts sound more like exercises than meaningfull song writing, but hopefully I will improve this in the future.

7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Sounded legit to me man! I'm always impressed with people that can shred like that. I've been working on sweeping for ages, but to this day I can't do the long runs and 5-string sweeps like that. I'm not disciplined enough to learn how, either. :lol: But then again, shred really isn't my thing.

Regarding the song structure within the shred genre, to me, what makes or breaks it is the presence of interesting rhythm changes and riffs in the background of the shredding. This song approaches that, so nice job! Tone sounded great as well. It would be interesting to hear you combine a little bit of this with your black metal writing.

Sumsar likes this.
  8. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Some of the melodic choices were iffy but in general I like the direction, very Yngwie-esque :)

I got the same preamp and am quite happy with it, it is going in my touring rig.
    I managed to get all the things footswitchable and programmed via a Voodoolabs GXC and Floor Control pedal.

Sumsar likes this.
  9. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Yeah I agree. There are definitely scenarios where linking vids is appropriate and beneficial to the forum. I think that someone linking a vid they made, that’s relative to the thread being discussed, is better received than starting a new thread to link the latest video.

I don’t see anything inherently wrong with linking new videos either; but I wouldn’t expect a lot of traffic or discussion based on that. It’s also possible that it creates a scenario that would require an advertising license to post them, and they could only be posted in the advertisement area. For now it seems like the (lack of) general interest, and relatively low amount of threads like that self regulates that aspect.

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks! Yeah I think I am somewhat in the same boat as you. I primarily play the black / death stuff these days and don't really get to shred that much even though I put in all that work over the last ~12 years on earning my 'meaningless shred' -bagde, but I thought that on my youtube thingy I could maybe do that and then keep more of the black metal stuff in my regular band to change things up a bit.
    That said I would also like to try and blend Yngve shred with some black metal influences, which I guess is just a whole lot of sweeping in minor and diminished scales, leaving out all of the major ones.
    Fun thing about writing songs like this is that you can actually use major chords, which I usually totally disregard when I do the extreme metal :lol: