ENGL E530 Preamp - Black Metal Demo

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I did a demo of my ENGL E530 Modern Rock Preamp, playing some black metal stuff that I wrote using it.
    I am just running the preamp straight into my interface and using Two Notes WOS plugin for poweramp and cabinet simulation.

I brought this unit a long time ago, it was one of my first pierces of tube gear and I never really got along with it that well, so I was pleasantly surprised at the results I got here - without a boost or anything else I think I was able to get some great sounds out of it.
    Only thing is that it doesn't have a lot of low end on the lead channel, even if you dial up the bass. It works in this song given the guitar parts and makes a lot of room for the bass to shine, which is recorded using the clean channel of the preamp with all settings at 12 o'clock, except gain which set to add a tiny bit of dirt.

Guitar is a Jackson Dinky DK7m sevenstring with Seymour Duncan Distortions. Bass is a Warwick Corvette DB RB.

So what do you think, is using a preamp like this a good way to get a tone or is it lacking compared to a real head?

As always I would like some feedback on my videos - I tried to up my drum programming game with this one, especially in the hi-hat and ride cymbal parts - did I succeed?

2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I think it sounded great! However -- and I'll probably get flack for this considering it's SS.O -- I still think a real amp recorded with a real microphone sounds better than any IR simulation. There's just another dimension to the sound that is impossible to replicate any other way, IMO. For most, it is probably unnoticeable though. I have to admit though, sometimes I am jealous of people who have the equipment to record silently -- as it is not always convenient to track through a blazing amp, obviously.

The drums sounded good. I noticed a few places where the hi-hats and ride, when playing fast notes in succession, sounded like the same sample in a few places. However, I was listening really hard for it, and it wasn't too obvious. I have heard much worse on albums from pretty big name bands. Programming drums is the bane of my existence. :lol: I haven't found too many workarounds other than painstakingly going through and adjusting velocity of each hit and/or replacing it with other samples. One thing I've tried, when I've got a repetitive set of notes on a particular cymbal, is to create more tracks for it, and give each track a slightly different EQ and volume; slightly different panning, and slightly different reverb decay. Then, even if the samples are the same, they'll sound different enough to make it sound more real.

neotronic and Sumsar like this.
  3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks KailM!

Yeah I agree, but I think a real head with a power section into a load box like the captor works very well, especially considering I can reamp at 0200 in the night in my appartment, it is one of those where functionality beats tone for me at least. In this demo the poweramp is also simulated which takes a bit away from the sound I guess. I could have reamped through the powersection of an amp into my captor, so preamp -> loop of amp -> Captor -> audiinterface -> WOS IRs, but this demo was purely for the preamp.

Regarding drums - yes I should probably move to a better drum library like some of the Toontrack stuff where there is more different hits for the same velocity. Right now I am using a freeware drum vst, purely because it is really easy to work with and sounds good out of the box, even though I actually have superior drummer 2 kicking around - it just takes a lot of work to get that to sound good to the level where you can start programming drums. Maybe I should make myself some presets for it?
    What I tried to do here was get the velocitiese on the snare right as well as having more interesting stuff going on in the hi-hat and ride departments doing blast beats - using the ride bell etc.
    I found I don't like the sound of a rimshot snare for my music, so snare velocities are around 40-50 % for normal stuff and 30 - 40 for blast stuff. In my current drum program hits below 50% are not rimshots, above 50% is rimshots.

4. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

What vst is it? Sounds good to me, the guitar tone is spot on for black metal. Killer riffage too.

Sumsar likes this.
  5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot ATRguitar91!
    Drum kit is the MT Power Drum Kit: https://www.powerdrumkit.com It is somewhat limited and already premixed to a degree, but that makes it good for writing drum parts in that you don't have to mix it before you can write songs with it.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

ENGL E530 + EMG 81 = WIN!

that is such a great combo. I did find better success adding an EQ in its loop to dial in extra low end though

Sumsar likes this.
  7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Maybe I should dust off my old LTD JH600 and try it out with an EMG81 then!
    It also worked pretty well with a Seymour Duncan Distortion 7. I can imagine that adding some extra low end with EQ after the amp before an IR would improve the result, but I didn't want to mess too much with the recording, since this is a demo of the preamp after all :)

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah do. Surgically tight hahah

like pretty Fear Factory

Sumsar likes this.
  9. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Tbh I have never ever listened to fear factory, but I will give it a try anyways :lol:

lewis likes this.
  10. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I’d recommend starting with Demanufacture.

11. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Listning in progress :mf666:

KailM likes this.