Engl E530 preamp + 6505 Poweramp Shenanigans

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hi guys.

So the ENGL E530 still gets a lot of talk around here, so I thought I would go through all the sounds it has. I pluged it into the poweramp of my Peavey 6505 and honestly it is my favorite rig at the moment.

It is modern but in a classic way. The mids sounds full and aggresive without sounding like a duck.
    From my understanding this it roughly the preamp of an Engl Savage, so I am trying to get my hand on one of those, having spotted some localy used since the mark II came out.

The only thing that bothers me about the setup is that you need a rack case and in principal a decidated poweramp for it to look nice as a setup. But I already have a lot of poweramps since I own multiple heads, so it doesn't really make sense for me to aquire one. The E530 lives in the rack on my studio desk for the most part, but then cable runs gets all over the place which is also sort of a bummer. Any suggestions for solutions? A 1u rack case seems a bit silly to me?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

People hate on the E530? I thought people loved it. :lol:

Also the 6505 PA is fucking monstrous. It's got a ton of oomph and headroom because of the resonance and presence knobs.

Sumsar likes this.
  3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Didn't mean so say that people hate it, rather the opposite, by 'gets a lot of talk' I just meant that people talk about it a lot. If something gets a lot of talk is that then meant as a negative? I am not a native english speaker, so I sometimes miss these things :lol:

But yeah the PA on the 6505 is awesome and the resonance and presence are really good compared to other amps.

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Oh shit, misread. Thought you said "gets a lot of flak.". :rofl:

Sumsar likes this.
  5. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Great video and playing :metal:

The power section of the 6505 is beastly. The only downside to using it that way is just the size and weight :lol:

Sumsar likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Can i add - if peavey made some rack poweramp version of the 5150/6505 - i think it would sell really well.

7. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

They kind of did back in the 80s-90s with the Classic Series 120/120 or 60/60

Sumsar likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ah man. I was born in 89 so completely missed this run. Didnt even know about them.

9. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

That's a similar setup to mine, also Engl preamp into 5150. I haven't really solved the "rack pre into head" practical issue yet, I just have the preamp sitting on top of the head, no rack. But the whole thing is currently stationary in our rehearsal room, so no big deal I guess.

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thanks!

Yes the 6505 as a PA is pretty awesome. and since I only use it in a studio situation the size and weights doesn't really matter - only the horrible look of my setup :lol:

Yeah but it dooesn't look that great right? I have a couple of small Ikea CD shelves under mine since the handle of the 6505 don't allow me to just rest the preamp on top!

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Does the ILaney IRT Studio rack work well as a 6505 tube poweramp replacement?

Trying to figure out soloutions haha.
    Also the fryette poweramp rack is sweet.

12. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I don't know if I was using it wrong, but to me using the 6505 as a power amp is a bit unmanageable. Straight into the return the power amp is running at full blast, so there is a lot of noise and the volume is really sensitive.

It sounds incredible of course, but even with the volume barely up on my preamps it gets ear splitting quick. Too loud for casual jams for me.

Sumsar likes this.
  13. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

My preamp has a minus db switch which helps with that but I don't use my big rig much for low volume practice anyway.

14. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah maybe should have listed that in the first post, but I am using a Two Notes Torpedo Captor. Both using it as an attenuator makes the 6505 a great bedroom amp :lol: and also using it just as a reactive load box to record (without using a cab) I don't really have the problem, but I can imagine it being stupid loud without a load box. Getting a captor is just a great tool for home, can recommend it.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  15. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

I took the plastic packaging from some patch cables I bought a while ago and put that around the handle on top of the head, and then I put the preamp on top of the plastic trash. It looks amaaazing.

16. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Stupid question, why use the Engl preamp if you have a 5150 preamp? Is the clean channel on the 5150 really that bad?

17. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Just get a 3 space rack bag. Run both those and a power conditioner. Or go super complicated like I did. Fill an 8 space with a loop switcher to go between the preamps, pedal drawer for gates and overdrives, G Major for switching everything. All the preamps.

18. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

They did at one point - the Peavey Classic 50/50 power amp. I have one and it is absolutely massive with the E530!

lewis likes this.
  19. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

For me the idea was mainly more versatility and better cleans (my preamp has midi as well). I also felt like I'd rather have the Engl high gain sound, although in hindsight that didn't make a huge difference and was maybe even a bit of a downgrade. Now my feeling is along the lines of "since I have it I might aswell use it".

20. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Versatility and different sounds. The gain structure is quite different in my opinion. The E530 does not have a better preamp than the 6505 but they are pretty different and it is nice to have options when you are seaching for sounds while you record.