ENGL E530 + IR’s

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Svarta_blixten, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Svarta_blixten

Svarta_blixten SS.org Regular

Hi

I’ve been looking at the E530 for years. Thinking of getting it now, mostly for recording at home. In that case I’ll use it with IR’s.

Was wondering how you’ve done with the Power Amp part of the chain. would you use a Power Amp sim on for example a Two Notes CAB or what do you think about using the tiny Power Amp (1,5w?) that’s built in in the E530 and connect it to for example a Two Notes Captor loadbox?

Could I get a good full Power Amp sound using the built in one?

Anyone got experiences or opinions?

2. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

If you're going to use it at home for recording you can either use the poweramp simulation of Two Notes WOS or perhaps Ignite TPA-1 (free). I sue the poweramp simulation on Mercuriall ReAxis.

ATRguitar91 and Allexi like this.
  3. Allexi

Allexi SS.org Regular

this.
    I was using tube preamps + power amp sim from Ignite. Had good results with such setup.

ATRguitar91 and Emperoff like this.
  4. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

Ignite TPA is what I use with my preamps and IRs and it does the trick.

You could also just some custom EQing to get a similar response.

Allexi likes this.
  5. Svarta_blixten

Thanks for your replies. I’ll check out the Ignite Power Amp sim, looks like something useful for me. Any easy to use competitors?

Anyway, have you tried using the built in PA lined in to a IR? Does it get that full and complete sound? I’d rather go as analog as I can except for the cab.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
  6. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

Another vote for TPA. I tried it with my Bogner's preamp from the loop and it did make it sound better to my ears.

But since the preamp itself has a poweramp of some sort, try that output as well just into IRs and pick the one that you prefer.

For IRs I would recommend the ML Sound Labs MIKKO plugin and the Essentials pack. You can try it for free but the basic gist of it is that it's a more advanced cab sim than most on the market, allowing you to easily mix your own multimic IRs just by moving virtual mics around a virtual speaker. It's so much easier to dial in your preferred sound through that plus it also includes high/low cuts as well as controls for the effects of amp-speaker impedance behavior which you might find useful with your preamp.

For a more "amp in the room" sound through IRs, add some low cut and a good helping of high cut. I find that cutting highs to somewhere between 6-8K helps reduce fizziness of tones while adding low cut to somewhere between 70-100 Hz can chop off boomy lows.

Finally for headphone use a good room reverb is essential. I feel the Fractal FAS-FX Reverb is well worth the money for this and comes with several useful presets. I use the "medium room" setting with a mix of around 30-40% most of the time. It helps bring in some space that is otherwise missing when using headphones.

7. sonoftheoldnorth

sonoftheoldnorth SS.org Regular

The little built in Poweramp is just s novelty really. Don't bother with it.

Imo you would get a better and more versatile sound out of modellers or amp sims Neural DSP etc that have the Poweramps baked in as opposed to running preamp into IR (my experience, having owned e620, e530, Marshall JMP1).

8. 4Eyes

4Eyes SS.org Regular

You won't benefit from plugging built-in power amp to a load box, it's not designed for that...although pretty loud, it's just clean power amp circuit. You'll get better result using line out into power amp sim of some sort

9. Svarta_blixten

Thanks guys. That’s what I wanted to know. I think I’m gonna get this E530 and will think of some ways to use PA sim (and cab sim) externally.
    Have recorded using ENGL inferno (love it) into TN Captor into Axe FX, or just Axe FX lately. But wanna have a separate Preamp just for recording. Don’t like playing through amp sims though it works somwtimes, but the PA and cab sim I can live with.

Thanks for your help