Engl Comparison - Powerball vs E530 Preamp (YTvid)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Sumsar, May 11, 2019.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I did a comparison between my two engl amps - the Powerball mk 1, channel 3 and the E530 preamp channel 4. The Powerball is in the focused mode which sounds best recorded in my opinion and the E530 preamp has the contour engaged, which again makes it a lot more recording friendly.

Overall I think they have a similar character with some noticeable differences:
    The E530 has a lot less low-end even though I tried to add a good amount with the poweramp vst sim (the one in Wall of sound III). It is also a bit more noisy and has a bit more fizz in the highend. It is however also more focused and it seems it would get less lost in the mix compared to the Powerball.

The Powerball is much more full sounding and actually is less noisy and fizzy, even though people often call is an amp with a lot of high end fizz. It is however also less focused and it could well get lost in a live mix, which again is also something it is known for.

Ofc both amps could probably be improved uppon with the right cabinet and mic choice, whereas here I just went with a mesa 4x12 v30 with a single sm57 IR on both amps just to keep things simple.

What do you guys think? Which one do you prefer, if any :lol: ?

And yes I put (YTvid) in the title, since it seems people get annoyed when people just spam post to get youtube views, so I hope this helps, and maybe it would be good if other people on this forum started using the same titling convension.

odibrom and KailM like this.
  2. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

I hear powerball I and I just run for my life

Sumsar likes this.
  3. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

I think if you throw an EQ in the loop or vst of the e530 it would be perfect. Cut all 16000, a little 500, and boost 125 a touch.

Sumsar and KailM like this.
  4. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

:lol: you think it is that bad? I agree with you to a point, it is not the best amp to record with, but I have used mine to practice a ton and write a lot of songs, so it is inspiring that way.

Sure if I was doing a full track I would do EQ moves like that, still you can't boost lowend that isn't there, so there is a limit to how much low-end you will get out of the E530. My results in a mix are these: