Engl Amps owners thread :D

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Cobhc221, Oct 11, 2014.

1. Floppystrings

Floppystrings No like the floppy

To be honest, I used a Decimator with my Powerball and it was perfect. I know they did revisions on the noise gate but ISP has come out with some neat stuff too.

2. sinnersmoon

sinnersmoon SS.org Regular

I don't feel any need for a noise gate with my Invader 100 or Savage SE. The one built in the Invader is not that good anyway.

3. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Yeah, I mean, I would assume that an external noise gate with all its various options is probably a better noise gate than a built in version with one knob. But the built in version is ridiculously convenient, it helps conserve pedal board space, and to be fair, I don't really play a style that demands the best noise gate on the planet.

Also, I really prefer the updated look of the Fireball 100W / Powerball II / Special Edition / Invader to that of the Savage / Fireball 60W / Richie Blackmore Sig. Yes, I realize how little this matters when guitar tone is one the line. :lol:

4. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Mostly, my wife and I are buying our first house in a few months, and after furnishing it and taking care of some of the things that came back on the inspection, I have little hope of buying a new amp in the next year or so. So I figure if I'm holding out that long anyway, might as well look forward to the Savage II.

5. Ulvhedin

Ulvhedin Phrygianist

6. Cobhc221

Cobhc221 SS.org Regular

7. Cobhc221

Cobhc221 SS.org Regular

im actually looking forward to this

8. TedintheShed

TedintheShed Retired bassist pretending to play guitar

So, I have a lot of small tweaking planned in order to get the fully saturated tones I have in my head. For example I am replacing my two Eminence Legend loaded Krank 1x12's with Mesa mini-rectifier cabinets and the SD distortion pick ups in my DK-7Q with Lundgren M7's. Currently I have a TS-9dx in the front of the amp and it just isn't pumping my nads. I saw a demo with an MXR 10 band eq in the effects loop and was floored. Anyone else use this? It seems like the tweek that would have the greatest immediate positive impact.

Thanks,
    Ted

9. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

Here's mine, sounds killer. Going the Kemper route now though, so this is all for sale.

[​IMG]

10. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

Just bought a E530 to go with my GSP1101 and Mesa 2:50. Some people online are recommending a tube swap out of the box. Does anyone know if that makes a big improvment?

11. Joe Harvatt

Joe Harvatt SS.org Regular

Not a world changing difference, but you will hear something. I put JJ's in mine.

12. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

So got the E530 today. Put it in the loop of my GSP1101, and I am getting some serious whining noise with any decent amount of gain (lead gain at noon/hi gain enabled). The gate clamps on it slowly too.

The E530 has some serious physical noise too (not from the speakers), not 60hz hum either, reminds me of loose choke windings, very strange. I will have to mess with things some more, and eliminate gear to see what's what.

EDIT: OK, the E530 and 2:50 by them selves do not have the high pitched whine in the signal. There is still some preamp noise, but it's typical high gain noise, and a gate out front squashes it easily. Using the GSP in the E530 FX loop also has no added noise, but the GSP gate does squat for some reason, and of course you get no pre-preamp FX.

Considering swapping the GSP for a Pod HD Pro X, but I do love the sims on the GSP.

13. sinnersmoon

I'm using MXR 10 band eq with my ENGLs. It is a very powerful tool but I prefer to use it as a spice - I'm trying to tweak the amp as good as it gets and then fine tune the sound with MXR.
    So basically I use it to get rid of some nasty high frequencies that make the sound shrill.

14. Carvinkook

Carvinkook SS.org Regular

I'm back.. Chica chica.. I'm back,.

Attached Files:

15. TedintheShed

Thanks! It seems to allow for a "thicker" sound in the video, without adding muddiness.

16. optiman

optiman New Member

My Ironball makes a clicking noise when I turn it on, like if the standby was switched on. I don't think this is normal when an amp is turned on (powered up). Any Help?:mad:

17. TedintheShed

Where do you hear it? In the speaker? From the head? ;when flipping on the power switch? Standby?

18. optiman

optiman New Member

Hey Ted, Thanks for the quick reply. Yes Its coming from the speaker. I also can't get any clean sound out of it. After a few minutes it just starts making all kinds of noises and hisses like it's pissed at me for turning it on.
    The click is the amp turning on, the noise comes out through the speaker, I have never heard any tube amp do this. My bad for not making that clear.

I need to get into the tubes but I have never done that before, looked in the manual and on the Engl site, no luck. Emailed support three days ago and still patiently waiting. If you have any tips as for doing this or suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.
    Help.....:shred:

19. sinnersmoon

It looks like faulty power tube.

20. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

Can you post your MXR settings? I tried one in the loop of my Thunder but it only seems to add noise and not really shape the sound. Maybe I'm using the input gain and volume sliders wrong?