Engineers Unite!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by fortisursus, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 Silly Goose Engineering

Mechanical engineering here, still fairly early into my undergraduate program, but finally finding some sort of calling in it (I've previously wrestled with three different majors that have ended with me not liking them and giving up). 60 credits completed out 138 (normally 120, but my university has made me re-take some courses I'd already taken, on the premise that I was an international student), so still about 3 more years to go, assuming all goes as planned. I will most likely be doing my focus on aerospace and propulsion.

I am still undecided as to what exactly I want to do with my degree once I'm done with it, but I've been toying around with the ideas of going into a dedicated Master's degree in aerospace engineering, or doing some sort of Master's in physics (specific area to be decided). Both ideas very different from one another, but I'm attracted to both, so we'll see. Going straight into the industry to work could also be a possibility, and maybe I'll do some more studies in the future (I definitely want to keep studying. I hate the work, like everyone else, but I am in love with learning).

So far, the material science, thermodynamics/heat transfer, and fluid mechanics/dynamics courses have been the most appealing ones to me, as opposed to the ones dealing with kinetics and kinematics, drawing (God, I hate technical drawing. Good choice in that regard, mechanical engineering, eh? :lol::nuts:). Some times I feel as though maybe I should have gone into chemical engineering, :lol: but alas, my university doesn't offer it. I've yet to take my electrics/electronics courses, which I'm kind of dreading; I love electricity and magnetism, but circuits are my kryptonite.

Also worth noting is that I come from a family of engineers, but I'm the first mechanical. :D Feels pretty good to have one of each in the family: civil, chemical, nautical, and now mechanical.

Oh, and architects have my utmost respect for their dedication to their work. One of my best friends is an architect, and I have never seen anybody work for so many hours and put so much attention to one single thing; it is kind of ridiculous. One of my roommates has also just begun architecture this semester, and she is already spending more time in the studio than she does at home. Curious to see how she develops in the field.

2. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

Yes sure.
    I'm still fairly early in my education, but so far I've worked with the basic tool-courses, like organic chemistry and microbiology, and a couple of mathematic courses. I'm currently working on analytical chemistry and techniques, microbiological threats in food, production and HACCPs, and statistics. Later on, I'm taught about toxins et al, and spending half a year at a company to get some hands-on experience (preferably Carlsberg). My education is designed so I can take a production-role and design a factory line.
    I was also just at a meeting with the educational coordinator, who recommended me the final courses (like hygienic design), which would result in me being able to take a degree in food technology, specialty in brewing.

I'm not a chemist, nor a microbiologist. I just like to make food. :shrug:

3. piggins411

piggins411 SS.org Regular

Well, to be fair, I absolutely hate industrial chemical engineering, a fact I realized a little too late in the progress of my degree :lol:

4. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

EE here. Probably a little too proud of it.

5. AndrewFTMfan

AndrewFTMfan Well-Known Member

Materials Engineering for me.

For anyone on the fence about choosing a major, if you like any aspect of engineering being it EE or ME or Chemical, this is the major for you. Although, the pure theory concepts are a bit taxing on the brain. For example of what someone could do, I get to do cool s**t like synthesize a solid electrolyte for Lithium ion batteries.

6. Alberto7

^ After taking my first material science course I realized how much I liked it (I also had an absolutely great professor for that class). It's certainly a field I wouldn't mind focusing on after my major; sounds like you get to do some cool stuff! :eek: I'm also more or less a concepts person, so I might find that attractive.

7. Thep

Thep Blast & Sweep

This same issue used to bug the hell out of me.

I still believe the term "engineer" should be reserved for those who have paid their dues through Calculus 3 and Physics courses. However, there are some truly brilliant people at my current company who have not attended college, but know everything there is to know about certain technical subjects with math skills to back it up. They are engineers in every sense short of a piece of paper with their name and major.

People will call themselves what they will, and as cringe-worthy and ignorant they sound, there's nothing we can do about :( Just like ultrasound technicians saying they went to medical school.

8. ngrungebb91

ngrungebb91 Prog

Electrical Engineering Technology here (EET) :) in my junior year now. Hoping to move out west for a company like Lockheed Martin, Boeing, etc. I have high hopes but we will see what will happen :/

9. Asrial

Asrial Whisper into nose

Doing taboo and citing wikipedia citing ECPD defining "engineerring":
    The creative application of scientific principles to design or develop structures, machines, apparatus, or manufacturing processes, or works utilizing them singly or in combination; or to construct or operate the same with full cognizance of their design; or to forecast their behavior under specific operating conditions; all as respects an intended function, economics of operation or safety to life and property.

So to be clear; you don't need widely extended calculus or physics to be declared an engineer. You just need to utilize knowledge within a specific field to maintain, develop, or regulate a production, machine or anything similar. So technically, the ultrasound technician is an "engineer". We got a bachelors degree at my university that specializes in hospital and health equipment, so god dammit if that doesn't qualify them as engineers too. A chemist is also an engineer, but that depends on the scenario.

Sales engineer, however, is an amalgamation. Unless he has a degree in mathematics and a lesser degree in sales and marketing from a business school, it's bogus.

10. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

Electronics Engineer turned Software Engineer. I was seduced by the dark side :lol:

11. Alberto7

^ So many of my friends here started out in Electrical and ended up switching over Computer or Software Engineering. :lol: It's like a thing these days, it seems. :lol:

12. InfinityCollision

InfinityCollision SS.org Regular

EE student :) It's a long grind since I'm trying to balance work, school, music, and everything else, but at this point I'm pretty much content to say I'll be done when I'm done.

13. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

Well I didn't technically switch. I have both degrees :cool:

14. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

To clarify my comment, on the job experience counts in my opinion. I just don't think that saying things like "sales engineer" is true to form...:lol:

15. DrJazz

DrJazz SS.org Regular

Industrial engineer here, working in the manufacturing industry. I should complete my master's degree in technology management pretty soon.

Alberto7, what university are you attending in Montreal?

Also, a master's in physics, while very fun to obtain, doesn't open that many doors job-wise around here. And the aerospace industry in the greater montreal area isn't as nice as it seems, either : a lot of graduates in aerospace-focused engineering find it hard to land a nice job in the area.

Just my two cents though, just don't start either of these master's thinking it will open more job possibilities. Do it because of the learning experience, because the job market afterwards isn't that great.

16. Mwoit

Mwoit SS.org Regular

Software Engineer. I make diagnostic viewers for MRI scans.

17. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

Mechanical Engineer working in O&G here. :wavey:

18. The Q

The Q The Engineer

In other words, you work to improve humanity, I work to detect patterns in users (online user & market analysis with lots of predictive analytics). Now I feel bad for working for the dark side.

19. Alberto7

Well, f*ck. :bowdown:

I go to Concordia University, which is quite involved with the industry. I'm just doing my undergrad in mechanical engineering for now though. Depending on how things go after I earn my degree and how I'm feeling about it, I might pursue a Masters.

I know Montreal is a massive hub for aerospace, but that's as far as I know. I'm not sure how saturated the market is at the moment, although I did read a report somewhere that the amount of employees in aerospace is expected to decrease by a measurable amount in Canada over the course of the coming years. I can imagine that such a specialized field wouldn't have a very high demand either, regardless of location.

Just as you said, I am mainly thinking of aerospace and/or physics because I am interested in the science of it. It's something I enjoy doing and thinking about. I am aware of the possible difficulties in finding a high paying job, but that isn't my main aspiration. As long as I'm doing something I like and that is putting food on my table every day, I am fine (within reason, too). Then again, that may be a bit of a naive thought, since, as I said, it's not like I know the industry inside out.

I am not limiting myself to Montreal, either. I've been strongly considering finding something in Alberta, too (or any other place that has something interesting to offer, really), although I need to educate myself a little more on what the industry is like over there. I know aerospace isn't big there at all, but I know the oil industry up north has a high demand for all fields of engineering.

I appreciate the input, by the way; thanks! :)
    Where are you doing your Master's in Montreal, if you don't mind me asking?

20. ZeroTolerance94

ZeroTolerance94 SS.org Regular

I haven't even started school yet.

My great grandfather, grandfather, and father, have all been Land Surveyors. It was only natural that when I turned 18 and left high school I'd go to work for a Land Surveying firm.

And so I did, I now work for a surveying/civil engineering firm. Been working here about a year and a half now, at 20 years of age. No college, didn't know I needed to go.

Just recently found out, a surveyors license in the state of Florida now requires a 4 year degree in Geomatics, Land Surveying, or Civil Engineering. There's only ONE school in the state of Florida that offers Land Surveying and Geomatics, and I can't quit work to go to school there over 100 miles away.

So my only option at the local college is Civil Engineering. I have to take it at nights, because I work 50 hours a week, and it'll have to be one class at a time. I don't have the time for college.

So I start my first college class on 10/21. It's a remedial math course. I chose the first degree to just be an associates in arts degree, and chances are it's going to take a lot longer than 2 years lol.
    But fvck, Civil Engineering? What the fvck is designing pipelines and parking lots going to help me with determining property lines, making topography maps, and measuring building settlement?

Wish me luck. It's all out of pocket too. The one remedial math course just cost me $480. Not even including a book I may have to buy.