Empress Heavy? Empress Multidrive? Something Else?

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm looking for a high gain preamp/distortion pedal, and after doing the whole Youtube research thing I've sort of taken a liking to the Empress Heavt and Multidrive pedals. That said, I know there must be a ton of other equally good pedals out there that I've never heard of as well, so I'm pretty much open to any suggestion atm.

What I've either owned in the past or have already tried and didn't like...
Two-Notes Le Lead, Diezel VH4 pedal, LPD Eighty 7, Friedman BE-OD, Amptweaker Tight Metal, KSR Ceres, Revv G3, Horizon Apex, and an L6 Helix.

As for tone itself, I'm not looking for anything djemty or Ola sounding per se. Rather, I'm looking for something that has more flexibility than just bass, mids, treble, and gain.

Amyways, sorry if this request comes off a little vauge, but the analysis parlysis has sort of set in, so I could definitely use so help right about now.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You tried all those pedals through what? If you didn't like any of them, stop wasting money on pedals and buy a good amp.
I should've mentioned that I wanted to use it direct recording, and not through an amp/cab.

Otherwise, thanks for the useless response.

Spaced Out Ace

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm looking for a high gain preamp/distortion pedal, and after doing the whole Youtube research thing I've sort of taken a liking to the Empress Heavt and Multidrive pedals. That said, I know there must be a ton of other equally good pedals out there that I've never heard of as well, so I'm pretty much open to any suggestion atm.

What I've either owned in the past or have already tried and didn't like...
Two-Notes Le Lead, Diezel VH4 pedal, LPD Eighty 7, Friedman BE-OD, Amptweaker Tight Metal, KSR Ceres, Revv G3, Horizon Apex, and an L6 Helix.

As for tone itself, I'm not looking for anything djemty or Ola sounding per se. Rather, I'm looking for something that has more flexibility than just bass, mids, treble, and gain.

Amyways, sorry if this request comes off a little vauge, but the analysis parlysis has sort of set in, so I could definitely use so help right about now.
The Revv G series pedals are great. I have the G3 and the Joyo Dark Flame (a clone of either the 3 or 4). I do not need the gain much higher than 9:00. Granted, I am using a boost in my guitars, but still. I am using the Revv pedals into the Two Notes CAB M+. I don't know how you're planning on using it, but if it is a distortion pedal -> power amp -> or distortion pedal -> cab sim scenario, I say go for the Revv stuff.

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'd suggest an old time classic: Tech21 Sansamp GT2. Full analog too (not digital modeling) if that matters at all (for me it doesn't, I just mention this... )
Better to use it of course (as all preamp pedals) on a frfr system, or in the effects return input of the amp.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The Empress Heavy is bloody awesome. The gate on it simply amazing too.

Can’t go wrong there!
Which is why I'm seriously considering pulling the pin on one. ;)

What else do you have in that setup?
I'm trying to put together a VERY simple pedal rig with as few componets as possible. Ideally, I'd like to run something like Reverb>Preamp/distortion>Chorus>IRs/DAW. The problem though continues to be the core preamp/distortion slot, as I just can't seem to find a pedal that has the right combo of bass/mids/highs atm. And so analysis paralysis gives way to Goldilocks Syndrome where this pedal is too bassy sounding, this one's too honky, this one's too piercing... etc.

I had an ADA MP1 some years ago that really regret getting rid of. Worst case scenario I could always get another one, right?

I'd suggest an old time classic: Tech21 Sansamp GT2. Full analog too (not digital modeling) if that matters at all (for me it doesn't, I just mention this... )
Better to use it of course (as all preamp pedals) on a frfr system, or in the effects return input of the amp.
Not a bad idea at all. Tell me, does it take other pedals well?

Kosthrash

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not a bad idea at all. Tell me, does it take other pedals well?
It reacts like an amp, for example takes boosters in front to tight the tone further... It includes a mic ir too with 3 positions (like DI).
There are some cheap clones in the market too if you like to experiment...

ExMachina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm surprised the tight metal pro and ceres didn't do it for you. Could you throw a 10 band EQ on there? At this point it might be a better investment. Also, did you try running any effects plugins on top of changing your IR since you're playing into a DAW?

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm surprised the tight metal pro and ceres didn't do it for you. Could you throw a 10 band EQ on there? At this point it might be a better investment. Also, did you try running any effects plugins on top of changing your IR since you're playing into a DAW?
To my ears, the Tight Metal has this raspy, buzzing quality in the highs that I personally find annoying. That, and I've never come acorss a demo of it that ever wow'd me. Just not my thing, I guess.

If you consider rack preamp too as the ADA MP1, check also the ENGL E530 😉

I always thought the E530 sounds kind of "generic" in a nondescript high gain sort of way.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you looked into any of AMT's brick series?
Are they a significant improvement over their older series of pedals, because I tried like five of them and they all pretty much sounded like they were the same circuit, but each with a slightly different filter/eq curve.

KnightBrolaire

chasing the GAS dragon
Reaction score
Are they a significant improvement over their older series of pedals, because I tried like five of them and they all pretty much sounded like they were the same circuit, but each with a slightly different filter/eq curve.
yes, they're way better than the first gen stuff.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Have you tried any of these pedals in a mix with other instruments?

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
yes, they're way better than the first gen stuff.
I was curious about that.
Tell me, are they actually running enough volts through those things to actually get the tubes working?

Have you tried any of these pedals in a mix with other instruments?
Yes. In full mixes, guitar, bass, and drums, most of them sound usable, But... I'm looking to sort of take my tone to the next stage, if you catch my drift. Not that I'm looking for some kind of miracle box, but something that just has more "ooomph" and overall tonal refinement. I mean my guitar's good, no complaints there, and my interface, an Audient Sono, is more than getting the job done. It's just that I'm finding it hard to get a good sounding "core" tone. Not that I have a specific type of sound in my head, as I'm open to just about any high gain solution. Guess it's just a case of "I'll know it when I hear it", which is why I've been running through all these different types of pedals lately.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm trying to put together a VERY simple pedal rig with as few componets as possible. Ideally, I'd like to run something like Reverb>Preamp/distortion>Chorus>IRs/DAW. The problem though continues to be the core preamp/distortion slot, as I just can't seem to find a pedal that has the right combo of bass/mids/highs atm. And so analysis paralysis gives way to Goldilocks Syndrome where this pedal is too bassy sounding, this one's too honky, this one's too piercing... etc.
Pretty much every pedal on your list of ones you've tried is intended to be an overdrive/distortion pedal to put into the front of an amp or into its fx return. You are unlikely to be happy with any of them if you intend to use them as a substitute for an amp.

Lechmere

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pretty much every pedal on your list of ones you've tried is intended to be an overdrive/distortion pedal to put into the front of an amp or into its fx return. You are unlikely to be happy with any of them if you intend to use them as a substitute for an amp.
I've tried a number of them through a Two-Notes Le Clean and a Le Lead as well, not to mention in front of and through the fx loops of a 20 watt Marshall JCM800 and a PRS MT-15. So I've been using them both in their intended and unintended roles.

Right now I'm just looking for recommendations for more unique, lesser known pedals that I may have missed or am otherwise unaware of.

Latest posts