Emperor - I Am the Black Wizards cover!

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sumsar, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Hi SSO

I did a cover thing of Emperors 90's hit 'I Am The Black Wizards', enjoy:

Tracked two guitars and one bass track, sampled drums using the free MT Power Drum Kit vst instrument, no keys, no vocals.

Guitar tone is using Le Pous LE456, aka Engl powerball with torpedos wall of sound plugin with an Engl Cab.

This is my second playtrough with a proper camera, and I think I improved from the last one; (thread)
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=318756

Lighting is better than last time, but I need to get some proper camera lights.

Could you guys give me some feedback on my result please :wavey:

chopeth and setsuna7 like this.
  2. Nag

Nag chugs and screams

Tone wise it's great, your technique is really good, but the production seriously lacks some 1992, you should work on that.

:lol:

3. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

^ Thanks a lot. It is my first time doing a project with samples and I had to take the velocities way down to less than 50% to try and make them not sound djenty and slamming :lol:
    I also put a good amount of reverb on the drums and some on the guitars, but clearly not enough for it to be 1992.

Seriously though I have never gotten the 'sound purposefully bad' idea of black metal, even though I really like the genre and play / write it myself.

4. Nag

Nag chugs and screams

Neither have I, I don't really like it tbh.

I like modern production where you can actually hear what's going on and have a full spectrum of sound. Black metal uses chords that can get rather complex, and sometimes the picking patterns are more intricate than just fast trempicking... you get a better grasp of the rhythm and melody with more modern production.

tl dr : was pretty good, now go make more :lol:

5. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Huge fan here. Dud, awesome cover! congrats. I play that song and another dozen Emperor ones. I even tried to make covers with a crappy camera, just putting my guitar over the original track, nothing comparable with yours, which is much better, I just share for the love to Emperor, keep up working them up. I'm moving to another house soon, I'll try to make a proper home studio and make a few more covers, better worked out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUzPaYbOekM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j64APuaoAd0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE3XsZlFcCA

6. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Don't you guys mean 1993? well thats when it was recorded, it was released 1994 :lol:

I have to second Nagash, great on all counts but your production isn't kvlt enough. I also don't get the intentionally terrible production values - back in the day we used to joke that the only way to get a decent BM sound was to record everything with a Dictaphone mic , in a basement with the north wind howling through it in the depth of winter. Vox must be done while gargling a cheese burger into the same mic while in a tiled bathroom.

bonus points for using the Hanneman SS guitar - nothing says BM like Nazi overtones, just ask Marduk and Antifa :D

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

@ Nagash
    I will go make some more :D was thinking Curse You All Men or maybe Inno A Satana as the next one :hbang: I will have to borrow somebody else's camera again though, so it might be a little while

@Chopeth
    Thanks a lot dude. Nice covers you have going on there, ofc production could be better but you gotta work with what you have. I also wanna do In the Wordless Chamber at some point, it is a really cool track.

@CaptainDoom
    Yeah 1994, I kinda remembered after writing it.
    Maybe I should record the entire cover, then play it back on my speakers and record that with my phone and then use the sound of the phone as the final track, or use it parallel to the good track, just to mix some potato quality in there, I shall name the technique 'Side Chain Potato' or 'Parallel Potato' :lol:

Fun thing about the guitar - I brought it used in 2011 I think, but is was first some years later that I realized that the inlays where actually SS inlays and not just thunderbolt thingys. I might also do a Marduk cover at some point. Like Frontschwein or Afrika :shred:

8. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

Do it in a tiled bathroom for totally analogue ambient echo and you should be in the right ballpark :D

YES! That would make me happy :wub: in a way that this cover made me happy, but more so.

I've really warmed to early Marduk in recent years. Their first album is class.

Speaking of covers I had the idea after a mate put Sons of Northern Darkness on at 1/2 speed that it might be possible to do a High on Fire styled sludge cover of SOND, it might be kind of nice as I often rip of BM chord progressions and arpeggios for the stuff im writing for a Sludge metal outfit, but WAY slower.

9. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Nice cover and love the guitar

10. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

@Chiba666
    Thanks! yeah it is nice. It is a Jeff Hannemann sig but it has Floyd Rose. Thinking about changing the emgs for some passives like Seymour Duncans Black Winters.

@CaptainDoom
    Just got home from rehearsal. I listened to Marduk on the way there, so when I got there me and the drummer played a bit of the song 'The Blonde Beast', since its pretty easy to learn, granted that you can tremolo pick full 6 string chords. It is simple but super fun to play - maybe I will get him in a Marduk cover as well :hbang:

11. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

[​IMG]