Emperor: Curse You All Men - Guitar and Bass Cover

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Sumsar, Aug 20, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

I did a cover of the first Emperor song I ever heard. Been wanting to do this one for a long time.
    A friend whom I was learning classical guitar together with introduced me to the band and I have become a huge fan since, so finally getting around to this is nice.

Guitars are EMG 81 into a peavey 6505. To be honest I had some trouble mixing this. I usually play and record seven strings, so the lack of bass you have on a 6 string was something I had to deal with. Also the tempo of the song with the very busy arrangement was a challenge, but I am pretty happy with the result, although there is room for improvement.

Hope you enjoy :)

2. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Nice! I like your version. It's not an easy song; there's a lot going on with Emperor songs composition-wise, that may or may not be apparent until you really listen for it and/or dive in on a cover. I'm planning to do a cover of "Cosmic Keys to My Creation and Times" at some point. \m/

Sumsar likes this.
  3. chopeth

chopeth SS.org Regular

Great cover! I play this one too among others and covers to Cosmic Keys, Majesty of the Nightsky and Wordless Chamber long ago, not so pro but I hope I've improved a little bit from then :)

Sumsar and Rosal76 like this.
  4. Rosal76

Rosal76 SS.org Regular

I have the Emperor: Scattered ashes guitar tablature book and actually looked at it yesterday after watching the OP's Youtube cover. Thinking maybe I could take a break from the hectic Necrophagist and Obscura covers and try something different for a while.

Merrekof, Sumsar and chopeth like this.
  5. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Agreed, even without the keyboard parts which I omitted there is still a lot going on, just the first riff where the guitars plays similar but of time and but somewhat in harmony parts is mind blowing.. I can't get my head around how they wrote that tbh.
    Cosmic keys etc etc is also a great one, not one of my favorites tbh, but definatly deserves some covers!

aesthyrian likes this.
  6. beerandbeards

beerandbeards Majestic Shoveler

Emperor is by far the best black metal band imho. Just so much layering and composition in their songs plus the production levels are pretty top notch especially IX and Prometheus

7. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Totally agreed. I don't like that many other bands, but Emperor is what I started listening to as the first black metal band, so the bar was pretty high, when I started searching for other bands :lol:

aesthyrian likes this.
  8. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Emperors discography is for me the most challenging and satisfying material to cover. This is one of the few bands I learn a lot from, I tried their songs 10 years ago and I'm still trying to play them.
    Awesome cover man!

Sumsar likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

That was great! They wrote some great music.

Sumsar likes this.
  10. waffles

waffles SS.org Regular

Good stuff, brother! I enjoyed that.

Sumsar likes this.
  11. p0ke

p0ke 7-string guitard

I can't think of anything other than that they might have played the riff with some delay effect, and then imitated that using a second guitar later. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway. It's a very interesting arrangement for sure.
    These days there's a lot of black metal bands with decent production, but I can just imagine how much shit they got back in the day for sounding that clear :lol:

Anyway, nice cover!

Sumsar likes this.
  12. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Thank you all very much, glad you like it. Thinking of doing a bunch more Emperor stuff, because ... EMPEROR!

aesthyrian and p0ke like this.
  13. Esp Griffyn

Esp Griffyn Play more music

I was just listening to "An Elegy of Icaros" the other night. Its a fantastic song. Apparently Empreror caught a bit of flack for the IX Equilibrium album when it came out, I think it's great.

aesthyrian and Sumsar like this.
  14. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Yeah agree, it is pretty amazing, definatly doing a cover of that one. Well it was 20 years ago, so sure people have gotten over it :lol:

aesthyrian likes this.
  15. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

Yeah, that's how you know it's good.

Sumsar likes this.