Eminence Speaker Comparison (Video Content)

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by KhzDonut, Feb 19, 2014.

1. KhzDonut

KhzDonut Luthier, Gamer, Heretic

Been on the hunt for the perfect speaker to pair with my Mini Rectifier and decided to start with some of the usual suspects from Eminence: Swamp Thang, Texas Heat, Private Jack & The Governor.

I ended up recording a bunch of sound clips for my own personal comparisons, but figured I should probably go ahead and turn it into something for my YouTube channel too, as it might be useful for others as well. I had a hell of a time finding comparison videos for the speakers I wanted to try, so I figure the more the merrier on speaker demos.

I also uploaded full versions of the song using each individual speaker (as well as an alternate mic location for The Governor) on my SoundCloud

My SoundCloud Profile

Swamp Thang
    Texas Heat
    Private Jack
    The Governor

The Governor - Alternate Mic Location

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be The Governor by a small margin, and the Swamp Thang a close second. The Texas Heat was a bit of a one-trick-pony for me, as I couldn't find a mic location that suited both my clean AND overdriven tones, and I just didn't find that the Private Jack suited me at all. I don't think it's a bad speaker, but it runs contrary to my preferences. I was surprised, because I figured out of all of them, the Texas Heat would be my favorite, followed by the Swamp Thang and Private Jack. The Governor was kind of a surprise to me, because people often compare it to a V30, and I've never really been a V30 fan, but the Governor was really easy to fit into a mix. I do find that I miss some of the really twangy bite of the Swamp Thang, but as much as I like its tone, I have a harder time sitting it into the mix.

Your mileage may vary, and I hope this ends up being useful for some people.

aqa, rectifryer, glpg80 and 4 others like this.
  2. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Great job on the demo. I like Gov's too and Legend V12.

3. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

According to Mesa, the perfect Eminence speaker for the Mini Rec is the Mesa Fillmore 75. Don't think they're selling it as a raw driver yet though. In yours the Swamp and Texas sound basically the same, with maybe a bit more presence or highs in the Texas. The Private Jack has that fuzzy midrange like the Greenbacks, and the Governor really lacks on the high end. Don't know if I really love any of them, but in this shootout I'd probably give the nod to the Texas. For most styles I'd actually prefer the PJ but I don't think it handles this genre well.

4. KhzDonut

Thanks for the feedback, and for the Legend V12 suggestion. I might give that a try in the future.

Couldn't find any Fillmore 75's for sale, so looks like that's off my list of things to try in the meantime, but thanks for the suggestion.

And I agree with you on the Private Jack, it's just too fuzzy sounding for my personal tastes. I didn't expect that at all based on the demos I found prior to purchasing it. I thought it really clashed with my style as well. It's the one speaker out of the bunch I'm already wanting to get rid of; I just don't think I'll ever have any use for it.

Thanks for the feedback.

5. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

I was running a Vader cab (the speakers are similar to legends) with my Mini Rec and found it way too dark.

I believe you can contact Mesa if you want the Fillmore. I'm not sure I would recommend it for high gain stuff since it's tweaked for mid-gain tones. We'll have to wait and see more clips of it.

The other speakers I would recommend trying is the C90 family: C90s/Black Shadows, K-100, K-85 or the Mesa V30 which everyone prefers to the standard V30.

6. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

You didn't like the Private Jack? That was actually my favorite. :lol: Cool video. :yesway:

7. Yo_Wattup

Yo_Wattup Kick the Butterfly

I liked the swamp thang followed by texas heat. I think those two in a 2x12 or 4x12 would compliment each other nicely. Didnt care for the other two, although I could totally see someone getting a spot on dimebag tone with the private jack.

Edit: listening to them in a mix by themselves the private jack was by far my favourite. But Im sure you could mix the others to sound better.

8. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I think the Private Jack was my favorite.

I'm in the market for new speakers, seriously thinking about trying a Private Jack with a Texas Heat after watching this video!

9. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

I've had Governors for the last 3 years and that's the single biggest improvement i have ever made in my sound. Definitely a gnarly speaker and i see myself sticking with these things till the end! :hbang:

10. KhzDonut

Really surprised there's so much support for the Private Jack. I guess it goes to show that there's no such thing as "good" or "bad" tone, just tones you like and tones you don't.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've never really gotten to play around with any of the Mesa speakers, and I didn't really think to look into it when I was hunting around for new speakers. I had no idea they had so many, I had only heard of the C90's. I thought they just put stock V30's in everything else.

Definitely something I'll consider in the future!

11. Metaldestroyerdennis

Metaldestroyerdennis Heavens Football Bat

The Private Jack was the clear winner for me. Of the others: Governor, Swamp Thang, Texas Heat.

v30 is still my weapon of choice though :fawk:

12. DavidLopezJr

DavidLopezJr SS.org Regular

I believe the Private Jack is a higher wattage greenback so that can explain it's popularity.

Also yea the only speakers that are actually labeled Mesa are the Fillmore, C90, and their version of the V30. The K-100 is from Celestion but sound identical to the C90 and the K-85 is similar as well but discontinued.

13. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

:agreed:

I liked all the other ones...I just liked the Private Jack more :yesway:

14. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

How much mixing did you do on the guitar tones? In my experience the Swamp Thing usually has massive lows and a much darker sound than the Gov.

15. KhzDonut

A little EQ bump in 1.5khz and a medium cut in 650hz or so, some compression. I also made a goofy noise-gate in post, because I don't have a pedal to do it yet. HP filter cutting everything on the guitars below 100hz, and a LP filter cutting everything above 8khz.

The final output had some EQ tweaks, multi band compression, limiter, etc…

I figured I could do a really dry recording to get a super accurate picture of what each speaker sounds like, but I thought it would be a little better to mix it like I wanted them to all sound like they really belonged in the song. I would love to redo the whole project with different mic locations for each speaker, but I think at that point it would completely defeat the purpose of comparing the speakers to each other.

This is definitely the hardest gear demo I've done, there were too many options and too many good reasons to do it different ways.

In terms of the Swamp Thang being dark, I never really thought so, but several people have said they thought the Texas Heat was really bright and I didn't think it was, so I don't know that my ears are the best reference for that kind of analysis. I turn the Bass knob down a bit on my amp because it doesn't seem to change the recorded sound all that much, but it sure makes my isocab "thump" a lot less when I turn it down a bit. The Swamp Thang does seem to really love pushing some thunderous lows if you let it, but out of all of them the Governor was the one that sounded "loudest" outside of the iso cab, it has a REALLY penetrating low-mid, especially when palm muting. Every palm mute really wanted to shake stuff in my recording space, and none of the other speakers really seemed to do that.

16. TylerRay

TylerRay LP Addict

Really liked the Governor! I've been using the Texas Heat's for years, but I think I might swap two of em out for a Governor and run a combo in my 4x12.

17. rectifryer

rectifryer Banned

I had a swamp thang for a couple years then swapped to v30s. I will never go back so I find it no surprise that I like the Private Jack and you dont haha.

Great job on the vid man. I lost it at the pic of the governor from the walking dead.

18. aqa

aqa SS.org Regular

Really good video.

Months ago i just get a pair of swamp thangs and i'm really happy with them, they are dark but rich tonally.

When I play with the rest of band my guitar now sounds clear and doesn't need very high volume