Eminence Help

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by SnowGoat, May 1, 2016.

1. SnowGoat

SnowGoat SS.org Regular

I'm wanting to try some new speakers in my PPC412. Not really digging the v30s that are in it. I definitely want to get some Eminence speakers, but I'm not really sure what to get. I know I want an X pattern though. Would the Man O War/Wizard combo work? Or should I try something else?
    I play in a deathcore band using an Alder/Maple Carvin DC800 going through an Airis Savage drive into a Randall RT100.
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

To help you more it would be good to know what it is you don't like about the speakers you have. What do you want more or less of?

That being said I'm perfectly happy with my Swamp Thang 2x12. Consider leaving two v30's in and x pattern with two Swamps.

3. SnowGoat

SnowGoat SS.org Regular

I feel like they sound thin. Not a whole lot of low end. That being said, I don't want the low end to be overbearing.

4. Warg Master

Warg Master Weeping strings...

Man, I HATED the man I wars. But, I dig v30s....

I got governors to put in an x pattern with me v30s, they are different enough that it make a pleasing sound for me. I also like the black shadows, for what it's worth. Mids, baby, then scoop them a litte, I love that!

5. op1e

op1e Spirit Taker

Keep 2 in for sure. X Pattern with K100's, that's whats in the black Orange cabs. Then you'll have a hybrid Orange. But if you have to go Eminence Swamps are really good. You'll get the low end you want with an only slightly restrained mid curve.

6. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery SS.org Regular

I really dig the Legend V12's a lot. Similar vibe as a V30, but without the upper midrange spike. Smoother overall top end and a tighter bottom end. Vintage 30's are great, but they can be fatiguing.

Also, as suggested, an X pattern with V30's and K100's is a great combo. The K100's are brighter, but handle more low end than a V30 and are a little scooped in the range that the V30's spike. It's a cool balance.

7. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

I love my Eminence Man O Wars... consider either the Man O Wars, Governors or Wizard as a choice for two of your x-pattern, and then Swamp Thangs or Texas Heats as the other two.... they compliment very well the Patriot and the Red Coats.

With that being said... I just picked up a Marshall 1960av with V30's... it's definitely missing some low end for my tastes (I'm adding some super low frequencies in with the TC Electronic G-Major 2 around 40hz...) but I'd rather take two of the V30's out and throw in some G12M-65 Creambacks as they are much smoother and have a touch more low end... I've had a 2x12 with Creambacks and another 2x12 with V30's and they blended very well... I've also had two 2x12's with a Governor and Swamp Thang in one and a Wizard and Swamp Thang in the other... sounded great... still not enough low end for me, so I had an Aphex 204 with the Optical Big Bottom and it was great.

To each their own, but I love the blend of the Red and Blue Eminence. Good luck! Lots of good choices!

8. NinjaRaf

NinjaRaf SS.org Regular

Been using Legend V12s for like 10 years now, and I really just can't get along with anything else anymore.

9. SnowGoat

SnowGoat SS.org Regular

So would the Swamp Thang/Man O War combo be okay? Enough mids to cut through the mix without being annoying? Or would I be better off pairing the ST with a Wizard or a Gov?

10. BlasphemyMadeFlesh

BlasphemyMadeFlesh ESP N00b

I can personally vouch for the following speakers:

1) Eminence Texas Heat + Eminence Swamp Thang (my current tone testing setup)
    2) Eminence Legend v12s (excellent v30 alternative)
    3) Celestion G12k100 (they mix great with v30s)

These sound the best and get along with the most amps IMO. Certain speakers just sound really bad in certain amps... for example G12K100s sounded like crap with my Peavey XXL. But they sound so good with my Ampeg that I always go back to them with that amp. Right now I am experimenting with the Swamp Thang + Texas Heat mix with all my amps, I am very pleased with the results I've been having.

Speakers are like pickups - everyone can say all this different stuff about them but until you try them for yourself you just won't know. However if you are sick of v30s (count me in on that) give those a try.

11. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Governors are like V 30s with a little more muscle in the low-end and not as harsh in the upper mids. They are my favorite speakers. I mix them with Swamp Thangs in a 412 cab and they sound amazing together. All the low-end I could ever need, plus grinding mids for days. Here's what they sound like mixed:

https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/mixtestriffsndrums3rdmaster

Here are a couple clips I did separated by speaker (the recording quality is crappy on these, but you can clearly hear the differences, and they were made from the same performance):

Swamp Thang:https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/swamp-thang

Governor: https://soundcloud.com/kailm-1/governor

12. mcleanab

mcleanab Theta Sagan Swords

The Man O Wars to my ears in my ISP Theta Combo (and Vector 2x12) are the darkest version of the Red Coat series... the Governor and the Wizard having a much brighter (but not ice-picky like the G12T-75) top end. But, the Wizard is very bright and the Governor less but the MOW is chunky as snot. I've never paired it with a Swamp Thang, but I did like it paired with a Texas Heat...

And yeah, I'm already wanting to swamp out my V30's for some Eminence...

13. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Maybe instead of spending money on speakers you could try a few cheaper things first.

The cab looks great on the inside IMO. This is how i wired it and it sounds night and day better which shocked me how much better it sounds now. The speakers sound more full and not thin and bright like it was before i rewired it. Both plugs to me look wired in parallel so i ran each side in series and used a + and a - to the input jack and the white lead as the series jumper on both sides the same and the same polarity. Its still the same impedance it was 16. There is a blue lead left over which is what i dont understand why they were using.

^ above is a blurb from this post. I don't know if you'll be able to see the pics or not.

What is Peavey doing here? | MarshallForum.com

So wiring it seems, is important.

Also, do Orange cabs have fiber-fill in them? or foam of some kind.

A neat trick to add the elusion of low-end to a cab, is to add some foam (even egg-crate)
    to just TWO SIDES of the interior of a cab. I like to do the bottom and left side.

And another thing to try, reseal all the interior seams. Silicone not suggested!
    Something about the gassing off of the fumes is bad for the speakers.
    So glue em'. And get a plug for the unused input jack.

These all might help, and will cost you peanuts compared to new speakers.
    Worth a try?

14. SnowGoat

SnowGoat SS.org Regular

I think I'll do a Man O War/Governor combo. Thanks for all your help, guys!

15. SnowGoat

SnowGoat SS.org Regular

And I'll definitely try this before I pull the trigger on something! Thank you!

16. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Have you tried re-EQ'ing at volume? Adjusting your pickup height and pole pieces? Changing string gauge?

17. geekusa

geekusa SS.org Regular

I also have been considering a change of speakers. I have a Fryette FB412 with P50e speakers, but at band volume the speakers are breaking up a bit much for my taste giving me a somewhat grindy and fizzy sound.
    Thinking of doing an X with swamp thangs/tonkers. Anyone have any experience with this combo or any input? Thanks!

18. xero7

xero7 SS.org Regular

I've owned many eminence. I'd go with swamp thang Texas heat. Straight up crushes. I did not like the manowar at all it was ear learning. The v12 is alright doesn't sound like a v30 and gets kinda honky when pushed hard. P50 s are decent got pretty good grind balanced between the frequencies.

19. xero7

xero7 SS.org Regular

Ear pearcing. Sorry