Eminence CV-75 vs Celestion V30 comparison clip

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by VBCheeseGrater, May 26, 2015.

1. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I'm always going on about how the CV-75 is a great speaker if you like Celestion V-30's. Decided on a whim today to make a comparison video after work. They are really pretty close to each other, with the V30 having a little more top end as you can hear in the video.

This is an open-air recording with a digital recorder. I just set the recorder on the table about 8 feet away and let it run, switching between the two cabs. Both speakers are loaded in separate Randall Diavlo 1x12 cabs. I tried to match the volume - each is being run by either side of my Mesa 50/50 power amp. Clean tone is the Pod HD Blackface Vibrolux model, Dirt is the Hafler T3 (in pod's FX loop), Boost is the T3 + Pod Screamer.....The guitar is my old frankenstrat with a dragonfire screamer.

cGoEcYk likes this.
  2. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

CV-75 sounds like something I might like. I would love to hear the both of them in a cab together though or both recorded and blended. I like the rolled off top of the Eminence.

3. Promit

Promit SS.org Regular

Huh. The CV-75 feels to me like a G12M blended into a V30. That's a good thing... very curious to hear one in person now.

4. VBCheeseGrater

Yeah i do really like them - I was aware before that the highs were a bit rolled off compared to the V30, but not to the degree that the comparison reveals. The CV-75 just comes off as a bit warmer and smoother as a result.

5. Moltar

Moltar SS.org Regular

Yea I would imagine they would both sound much different close miked.

6. jbealsmusic

jbealsmusic SS.org Regular

I built a couple of cabs for customers that used CV-75s. They turned out great! I'm biased though because I never liked the "icepicK' in the upper mid range on V30s. The CVs have tighter low end and don't pierce the ears.

7. VBCheeseGrater

If i get ambitious, ill try to do a proper miced up recording one of these days :yesway:

8. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular