EMGs stop working when I connect a battery

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by BeforeTheTrial, May 23, 2020.

1. BeforeTheTrial

BeforeTheTrial SS.org Regular

Just rewired a guitar of mine using guitarfetish's REDactive solderless kit. With no battery connected, it has the usual shitty EMG without battery sound, but as soon as I connect a battery it's dead silent. Only noise comes from switching the toggle. What have I done wrong? Checked that I wired it correctly twice now.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

emgs come with their own, better solderless kit. Why would you need to use redactive stuff?

3. BeforeTheTrial

I figured it'd just be a given that I didnt have an emg solderless kit. The pickups in question were, in fact, not solderless when purchased, as I'm pretty sure EMG hadn't even released a solderless kit when I purchased these pickups ~12 years ago. Youre correct, if I had the solderless kit I wouldn't be using redactive stuff, but since emg wants almost $100 bucks for a solderless kit and toggle, it just isnt worth spending that much coin for the old beater guitar I've wired up. Its an old schecter Damien 6 I got when I was still a kid. Dont want to get rid of it, so I figured I may as well make it work. Redactives pricing may have just been too good to be true?

Now that's out of the way, any actual advice? This is driving me crazy dude.. I've rewired this damn thing 4 times since I posted this crap. Im wondering If I just got a bad wire, potentially.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Zhysick likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Ah that makes complete sense.

I genuinely thought you bought new EMGs then decided to not use the provided solderless kit haha

Ive honestly never ever had that problem with my EMGs before and ive made a couple of feck ups with the wiring over the years. So sadly I dont know what to suggest. Im not enough of a wiring wizard to even be able to take a stab at what that COULD be either.

could you use the EMG wiring tutorials and apply it to the Redactive stuff? in the hopes it throws up what might be the issue?

BeforeTheTrial likes this.
  5. BeforeTheTrial

No sir! That would make me a dumb shit! =P

I've not had the issue either, its super weird. Sounds just like flubby no battery emgs without the battery, plug it in and its dead silent. Even fiddled around making sure the cavity for the input wasnt squeezing and creating any weird grounding or anything. No luck.

I've been looking at the EMG diagrams this morning actually, didnt think to do that last night in my fury. Fingers crossed there's some easy fix, or I'm just gonna say screw it and pull the trigger on a set of fishmans WITH wiring. Makes sense for the pickups to be worth as much as the rest of the guitar, right?

lewis likes this.
  6. Stuck_in_a_dream

Stuck_in_a_dream SS.org Regular

I just installed an EMG 60x-85x set in my son's guitar, used leftover wires from previous EMG installations I had, worked perfectly. EMG kits have great quality and it's a no-brainer installation. I'd urge u to get the EMG kit and use it, it's probably a faulty battery plug/wire. The Fishmans are much harder to install, for me anyway, it's not much different from installing any other 4-conductor passives, with soldering and all.

7. BeforeTheTrial

Just not sure if its really worth it, but im definitely debating it. I dont mind the soldering and all. I've done dozens of passive sets at this point. I'm nearly positive its a faulty wire/plug at this point. Just frustrating, plug and play seemed too easy. So I'm definitely tossing around the idea of just buying a set of pups. If I'm already going to spend $100 for the kit/toggle may as well double it and get some pups.\

EDIT: Said eff it and ordered a new EMG 81X, with solderless wiring kit.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Zhysick likes this.
  8. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I have not used the REDActive stuff. From what you say, it does sound like the signal is being ground to the battery itself and thus no sound. From what I found on google, the red actives are a pickup that GuitarFetish sell but I don't see if their kit is compatible with other manufacturers. So my guess is it probably is not.

I don't use solderless at all (apart from where the physical connection to the pickup exists). I found them ultimately not very reliable.

9. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Just out of curiosity why is that?
    I see this from time to time about solderless and yet I've only ever used them and toured with guitars etc with solderless and never once had a single problem with the connections.

What unreliability issues did you have?

aesthyrian likes this.
  10. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I have successfully used the GFS solderless connections and pots with EMG pickups numerous times with great success. Just re-trace and confirm all connections. The GFS harnesses are a cost effective way of making the connections when all you have is the EMG solderless pickup. I've also retro'd the hardwired EMG pickup connections with GFS solderless connections to make them solderless moving forward, also with great success.

11. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Just out of curiosity did you try multiple batteries?

12. jonsick

jonsick SS.org Regular

I can list them (from memory) if you like.
    I have an ESP MII UC that came with the EMG's installed. The bridge EMG81 went very low power and there was no life. I changed the quikconnect cable (which was soldered). The EMG ended up being damaged and I had found a short in the quikconnect cable somewhere inside the run of it. Replace the pickup and the quikconnect but so far the soldered 25k pot and switch have been reliable.

Fitted an EMG 81/85 set to a few more guitars using quikconnects. Over long term use, I found that I had grounding noise issues where I couldn't really locate where the problem was very easily. On two of those, I found at least one pot that was having bleeds to ground on the PCB, another few quikConnect cables with some short inside the run. In the end I ordered up some new 25k pots, replaced all those solderless connections and not a problem since.