EMGs + Darkglass tone capsule - all solderless??

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by lewis, Jun 28, 2019.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Its as bad as tube snobs.

How long before people start defending SOldering vs Quick connect citing - "Soldering sounds better"

hahah

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

Companies don't agree on wire colors, much less a solderless system.

mpexus and lewis like this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It's not even the pickup manufacturers you need to be hounding. It's the pots and switches that benefit the most from quick connects.

Pickups can be swapped without soldering, pots not so much, at least not without a ton of ugly work.

lewis likes this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

looking again at everything, it appears you basically can do everything solderless on these 2 (EMGs and Darkglass TC)?
    All it requires is cutting one end of the EMG wires, stripping some bare wire out, and then clamping them down with the screws on the Darkglass preamp?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the other end of the cut EMG wires would then quick connect to the output jack and the battery right?

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

EMG also sell passive solderless kits for their HZ pickups that include solderless Pots with the quick connect pins and use the passive 500k pot values. Surely between EMG offering solderless quick connect passive and active pots, there is enough resources available to solderless install any companies pickups using these EMG kits?

6. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Ever priced the tools required to make automotive crimp connections? They're extremely expensive and the connectors are very bulky. Not a problem in a car where you have a ton of room but in a guitar a solder joint is small and clean without the need for multiple additional capacitance points.

You can buy terminal blocks to make any wiring harness solderless with ease. Most EMGs come with a PCB that has terminal blocks for interfacing with soldered systems already. You just have to make room for it and mount it. I'd personally rather take 10 seconds to make a clean and simple solder joint rather than fuss with an overly complex workaround.

7. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

Guys, wire authentic.

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

but i enjoy bootleg wiring too much.....

9. Merrekof

Merrekof SS.org Regular

Yeah at first I thought about possible tone loss or noise from solderless joints. But then I thought, "my cable is plugged in my amp and guitar, solderless" Think about that when some purist tells you solderless isn't good :D
    I have thought about doing it myself or patent some sort of connector system but the connectors out there are just too bulky and designing smaller ones is pricy.

Still, I prefer soldering. While it works well with EMGs, I can't imagine getting two 4-wire connectors or eight 1-wire connectors through those tiny holes. I'd rather solder than widening holes and cavities inside my guitar. I'm currently working on a project with two BKPs, wiring like an Ibanez 5 way switch. That's 8 wires coming from the pickups! But after the woldering is done, I don't think I will solder again any time soon.

lewis likes this.