EMGs + Darkglass tone capsule - all solderless??

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by lewis, Jun 28, 2019.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Seems the tone capsule is solderless now and emgs obviously are too. They all use the same quick connect style connectors too.
    So is this all compatible?
    If so im going to pick them up

2. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

darkglass uses a quick connect only between the pcb and the eq pots, the rest of the wiring isn't quick connect

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Suppose i could use those Terminal blocks for the rest that uses screws to hold the wire in?

I have a soldering iron but i hate it and never want to solder again.

Im more than open to alternative methods to soldering

4. Beheroth

Beheroth SS.org Regular

you'd need to cut the connector off the cable and strip the wires for that, rendering the choice of EMGs pointless if you're getting them only for the quick connect

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

hmmm yeah :(

God sake. I wish all pickup/guitar electronic companies went Solderless now. Not only is it such an obvious dinosaur process in 2019 - but its terrible for your health. People working with soldering as a job, have terrible health problems.

I just refuse to do it anymore

mpexus likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just install quick connects. They make bullet style connectors that crimp on for 22 and 24 AWG wire. A little bulky, and you'd have to build a harness, but a solid option for pickups.

There are all kinds of connectors that'll work.

That said, as long as you're not going balls deep on your work piece, and working in a room with decent ventilation, an occasional soldering job won't kill you. Literally.

Beheroth and lewis like this.
  7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

My work space/studio is literally in a cupboard under the stairs. No ventialtion and a tiny space

Last time i soldered, i got a bad headache through breathing fumes.

No way am i doing that again (got 2 young daughters running around at home too)

Yeah in going to explore the options you said at the start. Like my own quick connect style stuff.

8. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Yeap.. Guitar people are some of the most stubborn and can be really obtuse when moving forward with the times. We shouldn't be needing to solder anything for the past 30-40 years, so it's not just being stubborn... it's a stupid need that Pickup manufacturers still impose today.

Before anyone comes saying that Solder is better because of shakings etc... well your car lights get a lot more shaken in 30 min than all your guitars combined in a life time... they aren't soldered are they?

lewis likes this.
  9. MaxOfMetal

Soldering is just so cheap, easy, and universal.

Anyone with $20, a free afternoon, and some wire/components can become a skilled "solderer" who can install anything into anything in short order.

As stupid and stubborn manufacturers are, guitarists are worse. :lol:

stevexc likes this.
  10. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

I can replace my EMGs in the time to loosen the strings, untight the screws and unplug the connect, plug another one, tight screws, tune again.

5-10Min?

Dont need anothers tools (only a screwdriver).

Also one of the beauties of a quick connect system is the total remove of:

-Hey guys I have these new pickups and dont know what color wire goes where ;)

lewis likes this.
  11. MaxOfMetal

With other EMGs or a couple other active pickups. Not quite universal.

I'm all for quick connects. I never said I was against them, and I've actually installed them in non-stock wiring setups (see my posts above).

I'm just saying, until folks push for it from certain manufacturers, we're not going to see it as the norm.

I'm hoping EMG's passive pickup push goes well. It was their use of quick connects that helped homogenize within the active pickup market.

mpexus likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thats simply not true.
    Ive tried a fair few times to solder now and each time i hate it, i suck at it, and its clearly a ridiculous thing to expect guitarists to have to know how to do - or want to, just to change pickups.

Whenever i look inside a guitar cavity thats soldered, it looks like Chernobyl.

13. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

The first time in my life I successfully soldered without ever watching a youtube video or anyone showing me how. It wasn't pretty or anything but it worked. That being said it's actually a huge pain in the ass. I hate waiting for the iron to heat up or waiting for it to melt a big chunk of solder, all while trying not to burn other shit in my home. I don't have a dedicated work space or anything. There's really no reason to not use some sort of click-in connect system. They're basic parts you can buy 10000 of on Alibaba for like 5 bucks. But probably some old dude thinks only soldered wires produce an authentic blues tone in his Les Paul so it won't be happening any time soon.

14. MaxOfMetal

Some folks can't parallel park or recite the ABCs backwards or change their own oil or prepare a proper medium rare steak. Does that mean that those tasks are too difficult for the majority of people? Not at all. It just might take a little bit of practice.

You don't have to solder. Buy a pre-wired harness with quick connects. If just swapping pickups, splice them in.

It's only as difficult as you make it.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

The things you mention have no alternative too. Its either learn the one and only way (which may be hard) or never learn...

Thats the opposite of guitar electronics. Other options DO exist. Quick connect is a thing proven by EMG and Fishman. So why not embrace the simplest proven alternative across the board, rather than ignore that and make people have to go the dinosuar route thats extra tedious and tricky?

Guitarists simply shouldnt HAVE to buy a soldering iron and master soldering just to be able to change aspects of the wiring/pickups be it small tweaks or entire overhauls. This idea is made worse by knowing the quick and easy as shit quick connect is a thing but they intentionally choose to ignore it?

For that reason im exclusively EMG. They care enough about my point that they went 100% solderless and thanks to that they get my business.

16. MaxOfMetal

You don't have to solder. That's the point.

There are tons of products and methods to swap pickups that don't require a soldering iron.

Just splice or use crimp-on connectors.

If going from active to passive or passive to active, when you have to buy new components anyway, get a solderless setup.

You're just making excuses at this point. :shrug:

stevexc and lewis like this.
  17. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Probably 60% of the repair/mod work I receive as I contract for a local music store franchise is passive wiring with a solder iron. It's unfortunate that passive manufacturers haven't uniformly gone to a much more interchangeable arrangement such as solderless. GFS is really the only one outside of what EMG offers for their passive line.
    Other than that, Dimarzio, SD, Bare Knuckle, and many of the boutique winders out there insist on the old method.

I actually think that if they did all work together on an all inclusive solder-less setup, that they would sell more pickups as consumers would be more inclined to experiment more now that a solder-less alternative facilitates a quick pickup change.

zappatton2, mpexus and lewis like this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Absolutely this! /\ x1000

well said!

19. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I mean, look back to the early 80's when a host of synthesizer manufacturers collaborated to bring us MIDI....

lewis likes this.
  20. mpexus

mpexus SS.org Regular

Its up to to us to start writing them and say does this come in Solderless? Why not? They need to feel the pressure... but.. no one ever does, I already wrote about on Duncan FB Page... of course i get ignored.

And when asking for it other guitar players come "defending" the obsolete system.

lewis likes this.