EMG Xiphos wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Perge, Mar 17, 2021.

1. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

Swapping out the pups in my xpt700, already settled on an 81/85 set I had in another guitar. Long story short the leads were too short, not surprising given I had gotten the set used to begin with.

Went ahead and ordered the solderless kit, because why not, but it's hit me (after watching their conversion video on youtube) that the output jack is probably going to be too far away for the cables it comes with. SMH

Outside of splicing the cables to make them longer, any recommendations? Would be willing to buy some longer ones if they exist, but as of yet I haven't found any.

Thoughts?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Just splice it. I'm sure you could find the same connectors EMG uses on Mouser and crimp them on whatever length wire, but splicing will be faster and easier and not require any special parts.

3. p88

p88 SS.org Regular

agreed - splice away. i did that a few weeks ago for one of my emg guitars and it works and sounds fantastic.

4. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

"Stop being lazy"

Fine, fine. You win this round. I'll post results when it's done. Going to replace the hardware with gold down the line, hoping the wife oks an edge pro, but I can live with just swapping it with another edge iii if it comes down to it lol.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Zhysick and Merrekof like this.
  5. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

Solderless is a fucking pain in the ass, the hub takes up valuable space in the cavity, and screwing a wire end into it to connect the switch makes for a pretty shitty joint. +1 for the splicing.

Though if you already ordered the Solderless kit, EMG do sell longer hookup wires on their site. The big offender are the output jack connection and the battery clip, the 22 inch one is long enough for Warrior/Vs, should be fine for the Xiphos upper wing jack.

6. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Tip: GFS (www.guitarfetish.com) Redactives cables are interchangeable with EMG. I've used them on countless instruments, much less expensive.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Buy these extension cables - its what I used for my Xiphos to extend the EMG cables. No splicing needed -

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/40-Dupon...038373?hash=item263ff8f865:g:sA0AAOSwCFhfBeiU

[​IMG]

8. Crumbling

Crumbling SS.org Regular

I use those for prototyping Arduino projects, the connector are pretty flimsy.

9. Perge

Perge SS.org Regular

All right boys, wrap it up. I was just a blind dingus and didn't see those. Going to be a 100% solder less install. I'm excited, and will report back when it's all set up