EMG EXG Expander!!

TylerRay

LP Addict
Reaction score
So I've only come across a limited number of reviews for this accessory from EMG. I started to get really curious about some of the mods available for EMG equipped guitars. For those of you who have never heard of the EXG, it is a tone pot replacement knob that boost the high and low frequencies of your guitar. I picked one up on Ebay for $47 to see what it was all about. I've tried this knob with 4 different EMG pickups, the 81, 85, 81-7X and the 707TWX. After messing around with different pickup combos and amp settings, I can pretty much say this thing is way badass. It makes EMG, which have notoriously sub-par clean sounds and brings them to life. Both the neck and bridge pickups go from stale to fat and lush with the quick turn of a knob. While I would consider it much less usable for heavy distortion, it serves its purpose in some ways. It will make a OD setting a lot muddier, but afterall it is pushing the s*** out of the low frequency. It adds a cool bit of a fuzz and twang to OD, which I can appreciate. Installation is idiot proof and only takes a sec.

Anybody else wanna chime on with their experience?