EMG 707 question

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Weirdbeard, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Weirdbeard

Weirdbeard SS.org Regular

Anyone have one in their 7? I'm currious as to how thay sound in the bridge. I have always used Dimarzio and don't really know much about EMGs. what I'm gathering from their site is that the 707 is more of a neck pick up........ any feedback would kick ass..... (Feedback? No pun intended) Haha..

2. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

All the EMG's i have ever played sounded a bit more 80's than stuff like the TZ and nortons. A bit more high end, less mids. I prefer the dimarzios since you want mids at the guitar, it's where the tone breathes.

3. Weirdbeard

Ya that's the exact opposite of what I want, but the guitar I'm thinking of buying already has em. I want lots of low mids n mids and less highs. Thanks man.

4. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

What kind of guit?

I used to really like the scooped 80s sound, but the more i learn about tone (from you guys here!!) I like it big and warm at the guitar and I scoop it a bit after my effects chain. I've been playing around a lot with effect placement (disto before reverb, reverb after chorus, stuff like that) and am suprised at the difference it makes.

5. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

not to highjack the thread,
    but according to the dimarzio site, the blaze is really scouped out.
    Now keeping in mind that Vai is a soloist and a half, would that pick up work out well for a scouped very heavy power chord driven type stuff?

Id love to toss a 707 or 81-7 in my RG, but I dont route the thing just to find out I dont like the way it sounds. Im willing to bet I would, because I love the 6 string versions, but I could see it reacting to a 7string a bit differently

but the regular 81 is absolutely my favorite pick up for metal stuff. Yeah, its not very versatile, and the clean sound is kinda weak, but damn its one METAL sounding PU! Ive played some pretty crappy guitars that were turned into metal machines with just the addition of an 81 in the tail.

6. Goliath

Goliath Contributor

I think that if you're scooping at your amp, which a lot of metal tone is, you wouldn't really want a scooped sounding pickup. Youd end up stomping out your mids and losing tone.

I like the 81's too. :)

7. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

I run a mesa recto, and I actually dont scoup it (very much).
    Running a full scoup on most high gain tube amps sounds like crap.

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

The one thing people have told me over and over again about EMG's is that they tend to sound just about the same in any body wood- they take a MUCH more fundamental role in coloring tone than a passive pickup. Food for thought... Never played 'em, but this is what people tell me.

-D

9. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Actually, its better in metal when playing to have mids in there. I have more mids and highs then low ends when i play. Course i go for a thrash metal tone and not the downtuned radio 'metal' tone too..so i dunno.

10. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

Seriously they do. Not to say that they negate having a good cut of wood under em, but I picked up (for free) an Ibanez IcemanX (read: 150 dollar PIECE OF SHIT) loaded w/ 81 and 85; it just has the worst tone when you play it unplugged. When I first picked it up, I seriously thought a squire bullet would give this thing a run for its money. However, when I got it to my studio and ran it through my rig, it KILLED, and thats when I was sold on howmuch character EMGs have on their own.

11. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Well, "character" is a dangerous word, as it's a question of taste, really. Some people think they sound lifeless, others say the same about passive pickups. Either way, they have a VERY distinct tone to them, and if you like that sound, then they're about the only way to go.

Althouch, come to think of it, the Lundgren Model M, the custom 7 made for the guys in Meshuggah, was pretty close, but I actually slightly preferred it in the clips someone posted over at Jemsite- a little more present, a little more "natural," and agressive as hell. As this'd require no routing, it might be something to look into- pricey as hell, but cheaper than an EMG and routing, I'd think...

-D

12. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I was sold on lundgrens after hearing those clips, but how do i order them? and what do they cost?

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I think they're in the neighborhood of $200 a peice... and they should have a website... ;) I'd say if it's not www.lundgren.com, it's probably linked from www.nevborn.com or www.nevbornguitars.com -just make up stuff tilly ou get a good address. Or, there's always www.yahoo.com... ;)

I think I recall hearing that someone got a corresponding neck 'bucker made, too. From what I hear, they sound their best in mahogany, with all that low mids working well with the slightly scooped, bright profile of the pickups, and sound a little shrill in basswood, but that probably depends largely on your amp/eq settings, too- i go REALLY dark, lol.

-D

14. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

ha ha, hey I didnt say it was good character did I?

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

No Soul- Touche' ;)

-D

16. Weirdbeard

17. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

I like the EMG's in my Loomis sig....

18. TemjinStrife

TemjinStrife Power Metal Cellist

HOLYSHITBUMP!