Emergence of the Amptweaker Pro II Pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 0rimus, Oct 27, 2020.

1. jclogston

jclogston SS.org Regular

I see these are in stock now. Anyone get one yet?

2. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Where are all the loops? These look like a cheap shitty kit build. Way to fuck up a company.

anthony.drake and lewis like this.
  3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Loops on the back.

Jeff likes this.
  4. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

Fair enough. Still looks like a cheap kit, instead of the unique looking originals.

5. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Terrance of Pariah VS Gear on Youtube just got one. Says the sound is just as good (if not better) than the original, but the built quality is lacking compared to the old one. He's gonna post a video later on.

0rimus, ATRguitar91 and Mathemagician like this.
  6. Gudbrand

Gudbrand SS.org Regular

One thing that could have gotten me really interested in these is relay switching. Because of all the loops, I use the Tightmetal Pro and Big Rock Pro as the brains of my boards. I'm always stomping on them to switch between clean, rhythm, and lead signal chains. It's so much nicer than wiring up extra loop switchers, MIDI, or other solutions like that.

I never checked exactly what model of foot switches the originals used -- I'm sure they're good ones -- but the mean cycles until failure for that style of switch is usually around 10,000 to 100,000. Those switches are the most common failure point for most pedals. Sure, you can replace them easily, but who wants to run the risk of a pedal failing at a gig or recording session?

I know this is a small issue that most people probably don't care about, but relay switching is a huge plus for me. If the new ones came with it I'd get them regardless of my other reservations. As it is, whenever I have the time I'd like to build my own relay switching system for my Amptweaker Pro pedals. It seems like there should be enough space in the battery compartment.

7. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Just saw someone got the "new" Tightmetal Jr and they also say it sounds the same as the old one

8. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I noticed the website has been updated by the new owner to reflect the current product line and branding. I found this statement ironic:

I'll take his word that the conference room statement is true, but doesn't the rest of it sound exactly like what happened?

Here's the new owner with James at NAMM 2020.

[​IMG]

9. Millul

Millul SS.org Regular

Checked out a few demos of both the original and the new one (the Pariah Vs gear one that was mentioned above - awesome channel, btw) and they sound good.
    PvsG also did a comparison of the TightMetal Pro, FatMetal Pro, and Ceres, and while each of them seems to have its own "signature", they all sound good, at least to my ears.

10. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Checking the thread again. Yep, new pedals still ugly as shit.

JimF likes this.
  11. Hybrid_Child

Hybrid_Child SS.org Regular

Just snatched up one of the few remaining old ones on Reverb. I'd been wanting to get my hands on one for a while, but the price held me back. Now seeing how they reworked the thing I thought I'd better get my hands on one before they become rare collector's items. Cause there certainly is some mojo about the original compared to the new "standardised" version. They probably sound identical, but then again who knows what other components they might have cheaped out on besides the case.

Mathemagician and JimF like this.
  12. JimF

JimF Contributor

Mojo or not, I'm superficial enough that I wouldn't buy the new one as it hurts my eyes.

StevenC and Mathemagician like this.
  13. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

I’m sort of coming around to it the skull but the guitar-pick around it is just silly.

I might buy a tight-drive

JimF likes this.