Emergence of the Amptweaker Pro II Pedal?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by 0rimus, Oct 27, 2020.

1. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Does the look of a pedal even matter? It's on the damn floor and not many will see it. It's sound and features are really all that matters.

Azarea, Emperoff and youngthrasher9 like this.
  2. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

I feel that logic could be applied to any product ever. Pedals can be an aesthetic choice as well so I don’t see a reason for them not to look great. I love Walrus and EQD pedals for their sound but it doesn’t hurt they look great. Boss pedals work great and are utilitarian but I think the problem with the new TM Pro II is that it looks worse and abandons the brand’s styling. A skull in a guitar pick is lazy and boring.

3. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Imagine if Sony announced today that the new PS5 would be in the shape of an ellipse and they changed the logo to just “PS5“ spelled in comic-sans. Functionally, it’s still a PS5 but, god what a turd you’d have to stare at.

That said, I don’t think the new pedals look like “turds”. I’m actually coming around to the idea of just swapping the knobs to black.

I want Amptweaker to change the aesthetic back for their own sake. Aesthetics do affect sales. Period. I want Amptweaker to succeed and grow because I do love the product. I think their shooting themselves in the foot here basically.

XPT707FX, Mathemagician and 0rimus like this.
  4. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

We can be all high and mighty about tonal and musical integrity, but in this instance bulb is actually right. There are three things to gear buying: how it looks, how it looks and how it looks.

Backsnack likes this.
  5. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

In a guitar or an amp I could understand..an guitar moreso. But it's a floor pedal, or better it goes in the loop which means it's behind the amp. It's just a box with chips and shit in it that makes a sound you either like or you don't. To love the sound and features but get up in arms over it's looks as if that's the dealbreaker is just stupid. Most people aren't gonna see it, nor would they care if they did. You are the only one who sees it and in the bigger scheme I seriously doubt a pedal not being pretty enough is gonna completely ruin your guitar playing experience.

Emperoff likes this.
  6. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I'm just less excited by my boring black tryhard box than by my different and intereting box. I'm going to be more likely to try the interesting box in the store when I see it, and I'm going to be more excited about plugging into the interesting box.

This is music: it's all about how it makes you feel and not at all about reason.

I sorted figured I'd buy a Tightmetal Pro at some point before. Now that it's not James Brown's company I'm less inclined, and with a boring enclosure and ugly logo I'm really turned off.

I have a pretty good amp/guitar combo. I don't need any pedals. I want pedals that excite me.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2020
    JimF likes this.
  7. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

I'm not excited by floor boxes..I care if it sounds good because that's what inspires me. At the end of the day a pedal can only look but so cool and it has no bearing on it's usefulness.

8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Yeah no ones arguing that. We’re just bummed because there was no reason to change the aesthetic other than cost savings and if they’re going to do that they could do better than a skull in a pick. It looks lazy. Keep in mind the people upset about it are fans of the brand.

Imagine if someone bought Walrus Audio and did the same shit. You’d have a lot of people upset about it because right now all of Walrus’s pedals look good. They look like time and care went into them. Like they actually give a shit and aren’t resting in their laurels.

9. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Good for you. I own pedals I never would have played if they didn't look cool. Your question was does it matter, the answer is yes.

Plenty of people won't buy pedals with too many knobs or switches or a pedal with a screen. Plenty of people will buy pedals with a million knobs if they're laid out well instead of smushed together.

Mathemagician likes this.
  10. DrakkarTyrannis

DrakkarTyrannis

Yeah. I'm not really all that attached to the look of gear beyond the guitar because I'm actually wearing it. Otherwise it doesn't really matter to me since I'm not likely to be staring at it, and if I disliked it that much I could always change its looks.

Emperoff and StevenC like this.
  11. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

We’re on the same wavelength. I emailed them over the weekend, and got a response within 24 hours (nice).

They said they’re refreshing the Depth Finders and will be releasing them in Q1 2021.

I asked if they were going to do a black enclosure with blue knobs and they said that design is “in the running.” I’m sure you can see where my head is with that. *cough* Amp1 Iridium color scheme. *cough*

lewis likes this.
  12. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Fuck I just realized I’ll never get a chance to try a Curveball now unless I hit up the used market.
    Or a tightboost.
    SHIT!

Gmork, ATRguitar91 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  13. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I’m totally not putting a color-themed pedalboard, I swear. :p

StevenC likes this.
  14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

haha nice :)

the other thing is, will the internals be identical?
    Or are they tinkering and likely ruining them in the process?

A black with blue buttons would look cool for the Iridium. It is the only reason I wanted one.

15. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

I have no idea, I suppose I could ask since I already have an email chain going.

lewis likes this.
  16. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

This is my main concern, and will the quality control be there.

The looks aren't a big deal to me, although the angled top and the way the knobs had dots on the side is super useful.

Gmork and lewis like this.
  17. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

Im sure their pedals are fine but if it ain't mr and mrs brown then it ain't amptweaker imo, just another dude building pedals.
    I find it strange and counterproductive to buy a well known respected company and then change it all into a generic from scratch company (other than the company name and tightmetal) I mean why not just start your own company?

Cant say i have any interest in the new amptweaker moving forward. Glad i have my modded pro and jr. Need to start collecting the other old stuff.
    2020s been rough. I hope fender is treating james like the genius he is.

18. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Yup, can't unsee it now.

But at least Fortin has the creativity (using the word loosely) to use a freaking different tryhard wannabe Ed Hardy skull art on each of their pedals.

19. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

@lewis and anyone else who might be interested in the next Depth Finder pedal.

Here’s my email chain after they hinted the next model would likely be black with blue knobs.

20. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

So what new features are on the distortion pedals vs. the old ones? Or did they all just basically get facelifts? (Or face drops depending on your opinion).