Elden ring!

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
The Volcano Manor quests are great.. the last guy drops what is (imo) the best set of armor in the game. Looks amazing, with a badass cape, and it seemed to have the most poise/damage reduction relative to its weight of anything I've found.

I liked the Ronin set that drops off the Nagakiba guy too but not enough poise, didn't work for some fights where I needed to facetank to land hits like most of the Black Knifes and Melania. Millicent's attack power booster is awesome to have too, any time you get to tee up big combos (any giant enemy) it makes a huuuuuge difference

Onto NG+. Only have two achievements left to get, for the other two endings... think I'll do frenzied flame this time around then go back to save scum and do Ranni's quest because it's too goddamn long for me to want to play all that again. Really hope they patch the PC issues soon

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Huh, after seeing it all out in one place, I've done a large number of those :lol:

Ranni - I finished her's getting the Dark Moon Blade/killing Blaidd
Millicent - in progress but it'll be finished if I can actually beat Malenia (read as: I won't)
Latenna - I finished her's unlocking her as an ash and saw the "big sister" in the snowfield)
Fia - I finished her's in the Depths and killed Lichdragon/champions which also wrapped up D's brother's quest)
Nepheli - I finished her's by giving her the Stormhawk ash, and she went to Godrick's chamber meeting up with Kenneth Haight
Dung Eater - I finished his by killing him in the sewer, don't remember if I got his armor but I think I have his sword
Straw Hat - I THINK I finished his since he disappeared after some cave and I got the Nagakiba (I think thats the polearm right?)
Volcano Manor - I did all contract's there + killed Rykar, I just need to find the snake chick and give her the letter
Seamster Boc - I finished his pretty easily, have never used his services as it takes away the majority of the armor upgrades

Alexander - I didn't run into him at Volcano Manor until AFTER killing the Fire Giant, so I probably biffed it
Seluvis - he dead, but I got his bell + armor stuff so tough shit there for me

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I absolutely recommend save scumming in a few locations in this game, it's just a blatant waste of your time in a couple sections if you don't. I did it every time with that horrible platforming section under the dungeon under the capital since you had to not only risk getting killed to get the violin dudes to break the items out of the tents with their eyebeams, but there's a long section of platforming where the jumps are NOT at all clear, and if you die you have to start all the way back at the top of everything. Or the part where you have three tries to shoot pots to destroy the chariots in one dungeon, and if you mess up you have to reset the whole dungeon and get all the way back to there.

I utterly love most Fromsoft games and I totally get the bonfire mechanic and how important it is for leveling and whatnot, but sometimes it really is a gigantic waste of your time and absolutely should be bypassed if you can. I sometimes do it midway through Sen's Fortress, too, when I'm playing versions of the game where you can do that. Or at the entrance to Four Kings. The longggg runback isn't HARD, it's just a huge waste of time and really annoying. The only way you could argue it's a difficulty increase in a case like that is that it gets you out of the "zone" for the boss having to do that in between every attempt.

Or sometimes it does make things easier, like in DS2 I will absolutely do it for Lud and Zallen, cause no one should ever play through reindeer fuckland repeatedly. I often regret not doing it for that lengthy run to Drangleic Castle where you fight a huge gauntlet of enemies, too. Or at the end of that extremely long detour in DS3 to turn off the huge ballista in smoldering lake.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Huh, after seeing it all out in one place, I've done a large number of those :lol:

Ranni - I finished her's getting the Dark Moon Blade/killing Blaidd
Millicent - in progress but it'll be finished if I can actually beat Malenia (read as: I won't)
Latenna - I finished her's unlocking her as an ash and saw the "big sister" in the snowfield)
Fia - I finished her's in the Depths and killed Lichdragon/champions which also wrapped up D's brother's quest)
Nepheli - I finished her's by giving her the Stormhawk ash, and she went to Godrick's chamber meeting up with Kenneth Haight
Dung Eater - I finished his by killing him in the sewer, don't remember if I got his armor but I think I have his sword
Straw Hat - I THINK I finished his since he disappeared after some cave and I got the Nagakiba (I think thats the polearm right?)
Volcano Manor - I did all contract's there + killed Rykar, I just need to find the snake chick and give her the letter
Seamster Boc - I finished his pretty easily, have never used his services as it takes away the majority of the armor upgrades

Alexander - I didn't run into him at Volcano Manor until AFTER killing the Fire Giant, so I probably biffed it
Seluvis - he dead, but I got his bell + armor stuff so tough shit there for me
Dung Eater you ended prematurely if you killed him with a weapon, you're supposed to collect 5 seedbed curses and feed them to him to get his great rune. If you got his armor set though no big deal.
Straw Hat guy's thing that often gets missed is when you can help him with a summon sign at the bridge by the entrance to raya lucaria academy. you can still get his nagikaba (it's basically a longer uchigatana with higher strength requirements, i used it as my main weapon for most of my dex playthrough) at wherever the location was that you screwed up the quest, but you miss out on a couple less important items. Eleanor still invades even if you biffed his quest.

Alexander you can probably still progress, just figure out where to find him. He's hiding in the lava by that world magma wyrm that's in the way north of altus, and then he's in a semi-obscure location in crumbling farum for the end of the quest. I missed him both in limgrave and liurnia on my last playthrough and still finished his quest just fine. He was stuck in the boss arena for Radahn till I talked to him and he talked about eating dead bodies or whatever.

One other one that I THINK you can do all the way at the end of the game is Sellen, you get some really, really good caster items if you side with her during her quest. Plus it forces you to get a couple items you can get without doing her quest, most importantly Comet Azur, the kamehama spell.

What build are you? Malenia REALLY is easy if you have one of a few. I've now killed her with three separate builds and four separate strategies that mostly involved me having to dodge exactly one attack the entire fight. Faith - Blasphemous Blade weapon art, Dex/Arcane - Rivers of Blood weapon art once which is completely braindead, and just spamming L1 with rivers of blood/bloody uchi with seppuku another time which actually required me having to look out for some of her attacks. Then yesterday I beat her with the aforementioned int build (60 int, 24 faith, which was lucky cause the main nuke spell required 24 faith and the main debuff spell required 68 int and I had a talisman and hat that added up to 8). Basically any of those three strats will have a tiny bit of luck involved but will still let you nuke her down and ultimately be easier than say, O&S.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Ah, I only fed him 2-3 seedbed curses before I found him in the jail, so oh well tough shit. People were saying he's a tough fight and I thought he was a pushover, even if I was slightly over-leveled when I did it, but maybe it wasn't the TRUE Dung Eater fight then. Alexander I did meet in the lava, which was very odd, I don't think I've run into him in Crumbling Farum so it really must be obscure as I've been running all over where I could; but maybe it's also past Malekith which I'm not at yet.

For Malenia, I'm fucked because I'm a pure Unga-Bunga STR build, I got it all the way up to 80 so it's at the hard-cap and my Dex is only at 15. Since she seems to require re-spec'ing if your a STR build, I'll save her for the end game and hit up Rennala to do that before I start my NG+ that I might do as caster.

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ah, I only fed him 2-3 seedbed curses before I found him in the jail, so oh well tough shit. People were saying he's a tough fight and I thought he was a pushover, even if I was slightly over-leveled when I did it, but maybe it wasn't the TRUE Dung Eater fight then. Alexander I did meet in the lava, which was very odd, I don't think I've run into him in Crumbling Farum so it really must be obscure as I've been running all over where I could; but maybe it's also past Malekith which I'm not at yet.

For Malenia, I'm fucked because I'm a pure Unga-Bunga STR build, I got it all the way up to 80 so it's at the hard-cap and my Dex is only at 15. Since she seems to require re-spec'ing if your a STR build, I'll save her for the end game and hit up Rennala to do that before I start my NG+ that I might do as caster.
I'm sure people have done Malenia as that build but yeah, respec to like 30 dex/55 arc, get rivers of blood and another katana to max, and she's a joke.

Did you exhaust his dialogue in the lava? If so, yeah, he goes to Crumbling Farum, which is a pretty huge area with a lot of optional paths. He's somewhat late in the level, there's a bunch of skeleton beastmen and there are two arches you can jump onto and cross over to another landbridge, he's over there. But that area is HUGE and every playthrough I found some totally new area. And good luck accidentally finding that dragonlord boss without a guide (On my first playthrough, I found his location but didn't walk over the "lay down" spot and thus was like "well this area is pointless!!!" and left only to later read about him when looking at a trophy guide).

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Did some more running around last night, took down the Crystalline trio and gotta say - the sword wasn't really worth it, but oh well. I might try and get the treasure from the lake of rot, but honestly, probably not because it's wildly inconvenient to walk through rot. I would understand if at some point you got a ring to make moving through it slightly easier like with lava in DS1, but nope! Just a big heaping bowl of GFY.

I DID take down that god damn Draconic Tree Sentinel in front of Maliketh, I think I just needed more stamina as he has a couple attacks he can chain that you really need to get out of the way for. So now I think I have to kill him and keep moving forward, or I warp back and finish Moghwyn's Place that I also made it to (I killed Sanguine Noble when I first found the Consecrated Snowfield I just thought he was another invader, not guarding the teleporter)

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did some more running around last night, took down the Crystalline trio and gotta say - the sword wasn't really worth it, but oh well. I might try and get the treasure from the lake of rot, but honestly, probably not because it's wildly inconvenient to walk through rot. I would understand if at some point you got a ring to make moving through it slightly easier like with lava in DS1, but nope! Just a big heaping bowl of GFY.

I DID take down that god damn Draconic Tree Sentinel in front of Maliketh, I think I just needed more stamina as he has a couple attacks he can chain that you really need to get out of the way for. So now I think I have to kill him and keep moving forward, or I warp back and finish Moghwyn's Place that I also made it to (I killed Sanguine Noble when I first found the Consecrated Snowfield I just thought he was another invader, not guarding the teleporter)
I went through the lake of rot with Flame, Cleanse Me and some boluses and it wasn't terrible. Definitely allocate more crimson flasks just in case. I didn't defeat the dragonskin solider though. Didn't seem worth it at the time [I was level 100]. Might go back later. The Ulcerated Tree Spirit after the lake fucking sucks though

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I went through the lake of rot with Flame, Cleanse Me and some boluses and it wasn't terrible. Definitely allocate more crimson flasks just in case. I didn't defeat the dragonskin solider though. Didn't seem worth it at the time [I was level 100]. Might go back later. The Ulcerated Tree Spirit after the lake fucking sucks though

I did forget that I finally went through and looked up which books contained certain bolluses and apparently I missed Armorer's Cookbook 6 in the Siofra River Well which contains the ones that protect against scarlet rot so that'll make life easier. I need to find some cave moss to stock up on, but I have the others in spades.

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I did forget that I finally went through and looked up which books contained certain bolluses and apparently I missed Armorer's Cookbook 6 in the Siofra River Well which contains the ones that protect against scarlet rot so that'll make life easier. I need to find some cave moss to stock up on, but I have the others in spades.
Yeah there's one merchant in Siofra I found last night after looking up where to get oil pots and he's in a SUPER clandestine spot off some rafters above the building with all the poison flowers inside.

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
imo Flame, Cleanse Me is better than getting bogged down doing crafting shit. the requirements for it are super low, almost any build can use it.. even if you can't you could use a +5 faith medallion or something to get to the minimum stat you need just to get through the lake

I didn't bother beating the boss down there either, only 70k runes and yet another greatsword so wasn't worth the aggravation

wankerness

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used flame cleanse me on most playthroughs and boluses on one other. Given the spell casts so slow that you have half the build-up back before you can even move, I tended to just cast it every time I got to a safe spot instead of trying to prevent any damage from rot at all. If you can craft the boluses it's not too bad, but this game is REALLY stingy with them if you try to get by with ones you get from drops. I wish there was something like those plant guys in darkroot garden in DS1 where you could just farm them for 30 minutes and be set for the entire game with cure items for both poison and toxic since they had close to 100% drop rate and were really easy to kill. Ah well. Farming dragonflies is incredibly annoying if they start flying around cause no attack can track them until they finally decide to attack you.

There aren't many good items in the lake of rot, there's an item that increases rot resistance off that random moose guy (which makes it so you get rot after standing in the lake for like 3 seconds instead of 2.5, barely worth it but can save you from getting it if you're patient enough to wait for it to SLOWWWWWLY tick back down every time you get to a ledge) and a few crafting things along with that dragonkin boss and some item I forget above the little temple thingy with the basilisks in it. Then there's also the putrid spirit in the grand cloister, but save him for when you can just annihilate him quickly with blasphemous blade or comet azur or something cause he SUCKS. All the fun of a regular putrid tree spirit's bullshit plus the ability to spam rot clouds everywhere.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I forgot about that spirit because honestly, to TRIGGER the spirit to come out you have to contract scarlet rot to begin with - so you're starting a fight with a disadvantage that you constantly have to keep an eye on. I'd love to kill it because fuck that guy, but it's not proven to be really worthwhile so far.

Also - I think you guys are thinking of the wrong area, I'm at the rot rivers at the bottom of Haligtree not the Lake of Rot that leads to Astel/Grand Cloister etc. I did that area forever and made my way through without too much trouble, but yeah, it also wasn't any fun either. I went back when I had higher immunity/robustness to fight the Dragonkin soldier, the first time I just made it through to the other side and said "fuck it, I don't need to explore the other areas."

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I forgot about that spirit because honestly, to TRIGGER the spirit to come out you have to contract scarlet rot to begin with - so you're starting a fight with a disadvantage that you constantly have to keep an eye on. I'd love to kill it because fuck that guy, but it's not proven to be really worthwhile so far.

Also - I think you guys are thinking of the wrong area, I'm at the rot rivers at the bottom of Haligtree not the Lake of Rot that leads to Astel/Grand Cloister etc. I did that area forever and made my way through without too much trouble, but yeah, it also wasn't any fun either. I went back when I had higher immunity/robustness to fight the Dragonkin soldier, the first time I just made it through to the other side and said "fuck it, I don't need to explore the other areas."
Oh yeah, I haven't been to the bottom of the Haligtree but working towards it
I'm in the process of tackling Niall and his goon squad for the final medallion piece. Fuck peg-leg Pete

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Fucking oof my dude, the Niall fight sucked dick, I did that late in the game and it still took my multiple tries

sakeido

Contributor
Reaction score
I used a skip to just avoid that fuckhead completely

Not sure if they fixed it or not but you could go to that shack at the western edge of the mountaintop of giants and jump off, you'd land in an area covered by a Stake of Marika and just respawn in the consecrated snowfield. I went back much later and nuked Niall just for the achievement but man oh man he was the absolute worst boss in the game imo

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fucking oof my dude, the Niall fight sucked dick, I did that late in the game and it still took my multiple tries
It's the damn knights. Once they were gone, Niall wasn't awful, albeit manageable bit getting the knights asap is hard. They're super aggressive and the dual-wielding one is a dick.

Wc707

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I used a skip to just avoid that fuckhead completely

Not sure if they fixed it or not but you could go to that shack at the western edge of the mountaintop of giants and jump off, you'd land in an area covered by a Stake of Marika and just respawn in the consecrated snowfield. I went back much later and nuked Niall just for the achievement but man oh man he was the absolute worst boss in the game imo
Mayne if it comes to that, I may.

I've seen videos of people shooting Niall with arrows on another part of the castle. Just can't bring myself to cheese him that way yet.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sewer Mogh is still there even if you beat Moghwyn Mogh first.. I think the fan theory right now is that he's a projection or something and not the actual guy, because he never makes a noise when you fight him down there. I beat Mogh without even bothering to put the curse remedy thingy in my flask.. I just ran in to fight him thinking it'd take a few tries but I absolutely mopped the floor with him on my first go. Just healed through the curse with my flask.

Teleporter to Mogh is at the western tip of the snowfield. You have to kill the Sanguine Nobel for it to activate too. To move Millicent to Haligtree, you have to beat the Godskin Apostle in the windmill village then reload the grace that appears, she'll be there.. then she appears at one of the Mountain of Giants graces, can't remember which, then the prayer room grace at the Haligtree then she'll move to where the ulcerated tree spirit is after you beat it.

I have no idea at all how From thought anybody would be able to figure out these quests without a guide

Did not know this. Deleted Leyndell Mihg and just thought “this is it?”

It's the damn knights. Once they were gone, Niall wasn't awful, albeit manageable bit getting the knights asap is hard. They're super aggressive and the dual-wielding one is a dick.

I accidentally read a comment that said “let your summon draw the boss and take out the knights. I haven’t even done this fight yet, but apparently that’s the accepted level-appropriate way to take it down.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
That's what I did, I popped Mimic immediately and he kept the boss distracted while I took out the two sword knight first, and then crit'd the shield knight to get Niall alone. By that point, MT was down like 1/2 or maybe 1/3 of his health which was a bit scary to see; usually it's two of us tag teaming one enemy, but that fight legitimately divides you up and once you're reunited it's like, "oh yeah, you might just have been getting your shit kicked in."